Joe's Waterhole (WA)

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:04
ThreadID: 133360 Views:4038 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for a waterhole by the name of Joe's Waterhole to the south to south-west of Wyndham. The brother visited the waterhole in the mid 80s. We're interested in finding the place again as he said the bird life around the place was quite good. If anyone knows the place and the distant from a known town, I would like to thank you for your help.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PhilD - Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:36

Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:36
I don't know a waterhole by that name, but there are a lot of waterholes or similar on the King River Road/Old Karunjie Stock Route SW of Wyndham. There were a lot of Brolgas and some Jabiru out there about a month ago.
AnswerID: 604039

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:53

Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:53
Thanks PhilD, it may never have been the right name, but he only knew it by that. Trying to photograph the finches and the wrens as well. I got a couple places to check along the Gibb, up on the Mitchell Plato to Kalumbulu and the Gregory NP. But any sightings would be taken down and researched.
Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873705

Follow Up By: PhilD - Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:58

Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:58
If you are looking for Gouldian, Longtails and Double Barred Finches, check out the Wyndham Hospital grounds, Wyndham Caravan Park, and Zebra Rock Mine just off the Duncan Road. I am sure they are in other places, including Mornington where you will find Crimson wrens also.
FollowupID: 873706

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:22

Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:22
Hi PhilD

Have been busy the last couple of days with the Mackay Area Fish Stocking Association and just got back. We will be in that same area and will look them up for sure. Thanks again.

Regards Ray

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873798

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:59

Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 23:59
Not certain that this is correct, but Joe's Waterhole may have been another name used for Jack's Waterhole. This assumption is because I have seen a reference to "Jack's or Joe's Waterhole on the Durack River" as the one locality.

Jack's Water hole was closed due to flood damage . Birgit on Kimberley Australia says this about Jack's:

"Yes, I am afraid access to Jack's Waterhole is closed to the public. There is a locked gate and Home Valley Station has the key.

Any facilities that were there have been lost and washed away by the Durack River in a flood in 2002. They have not been rebuilt.

The land is owned by the Indigenous Land Corporation, the same mob that owns Home Valley Station.

Home Valley Station does fishing tours that visit Jack's Waterhole.

They will give you the key and allow you to go there during the day, but that option is only available to people who stay at Home Valley.

There is no camping at Jack's Waterhole."

Home Valley Station now incorporates three former stations, including Durack station.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 604041

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Sep 03, 2016 at 21:24

Saturday, Sep 03, 2016 at 21:24
WE dropped in to Joe's WH in the 80s although I don't recall any facilities at the spot we stopped. We had a dip (it was bloody hot), rather timidly I might say. Plenty of budgies to be seen. I suspect Mother Hen is correct although none of the photos I could find online look anything like the spot we visited. It was not far off the GRR so that fits. Don't have our mud map at hand so can't confirm unfortunately.

http://www.colindaylinks.com/kimberley/gibbriverroad2.html]http://www.colindaylinks.com/kimberley/gibbriverroad2.html[/url]
FollowupID: 873761

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 03, 2016 at 22:10

Saturday, Sep 03, 2016 at 22:10
Thanks Bazooka - that looks pretty conclusive about the two names for the one place.

"Jack's Waterhole, 530 kilometres from Derby, is a permanent pool on the Durack River and is less than a kilometre off the Gibb River Road. 'Jack' Campbell was a top horseman on the Durack station for over 30 years until the 1950's. In 1978 the Durack station was amalgamated with the Home Valley and Karungie stations and the new owner redeveloped the waterhole area into a respectable camp-site with hot water showers (the forty-gallon drum 'boiler' is shown below) and flush (water driven!) toilets. The site is sometimes called 'Joe's' Waterhole after a Bulgarian grader driver who bulldozed a road from the highway to the water hole in the early 1970's."

I had trouble with your doubled up hyperlink, so this should be easier for others who find the same Jack's Waterhole.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 873766

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:44

Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:44
Hi Motherhen.

We meet again, you helped me out a couple of years ago. We mite stop of at Home Valley Station just to be able to get access to Jack's Waterhole. The brother might be able to recognise the area when back in the area. Thanks for all the info Motherhen, wish I could meet up along the tracks and have a cups with you.

Regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873799

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:48

Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:48
Thanks Bazooka.

As I said to Motherhen will try and get access to Jack's waterhole the correct way and see if it's the one.

Thanks again Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873800

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 16:03

Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 16:03
Ray
Unsure of place you refer to, but there is a good bird watch area complete with hide very close to Parry Creek farm.
Also a great little spot to camp / stay as a base to explore surrounding areas.
Often stay there and go out for a look at wildlife and birdlife there, but there is big lizards frequenting this area also, as well as the big ones that like water!
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 604056

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 19:10

Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 19:10
There's a lot of lizards who don't mind water. They can surprise you with how well they can swim, even the tiniest lizards.

Must have been about 16-18 yrs ago, we went to Parrys Lagoon when we were staying with the BIL in Wyndham.

We were standing on the viewing platform (the Lagoon had a decent amount of water in it), when the missus said - "Is that a croc over the far side??"

Swung the binoculars around and focussed on it - and it was a huge monitor lizard - and I mean, huge. He must have been about 2.5 - 2.8 metres long and looked just like a small croc from a first glance at a distance.

He just mooched along the far bank, in and out of the water, looking for something to scoff down. I don't know what their preference is, but all the big lizards I've seen in action, will just about eat anything. I've been informed that they're quite impartial to crocodile eggs.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 873730

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:54

Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 20:54
Hi Flighty,

I'll check the map and see where Parrys Lagoon is and might be able to swing and have a look.

Regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873801

Reply By: Maggsie - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 13:21

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 13:21
We camped at this waterhole for 3 days with our Kombi around October 1980 and knew it as Joe Butterack's (not sure of the spelling) water hole. Had a feed of Cherabin from it, also remember the flies were atrocious and there were plenty of Johnson crocodiles and Archer fish.
Maggsie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 604193

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 18:51

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2016 at 18:51
Hi Maggsie,
Have found out a little more and I'm sure that Joe's and Jack's Waterhole is one of the same. Thanks again.

Regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873916

Sponsored Links