Hand pump on water jerry can

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 15:38
ThreadID: 133379 Views:12162 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I'm wanting to put a hand pump into the lid of a water jerry can that we use to carry drinking water. On a previous one I used a piece of that clear vinyl tube from Bunnings but noticed that after a few weeks of being immersed in water it went cloudy (the tube not the water). Don't know if that was a problem but it didn't look real good. Was thinking this time I might chop a couple of feet off the end of the blue drinking water hose and use it instead.

Opinions appreciated on either of these methods or is there a better way?

cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 15:55

Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 15:55
You need to use food grade hose which is the blue one. Comes in either reinforced and semi-clear or solid blue. Both are excellent and do not put a plastic taint into the water. A simple double action pump fitted through the lid of the JC is the simplest way to fit the pump. If you use silastic then make sure it is also drinking water compatible

Rob
AnswerID: 604103

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 17:06

Sunday, Sep 04, 2016 at 17:06
Yes use neutral cure NOT acid cure sealant
FollowupID: 873791

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 07:20

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 07:20
Have used clear vinyl tube on my water jerry cans for the last two years, without the result you have identified.
When I set up camp I simply remove the cap and screw on another one containing the pump so I can obtain water without removing the jerry from the van's rear cradles.
The pump and its lid is removed and stored separately when traveling.
Have never noticed cloudiness of the tube or the taste of tainted water.
Perhaps your problem is due to the length of time the pump/hose is left immersed in the water?

Good idea to use drinking water hose though if you are experiencing problems.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 604116

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 08:11

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 08:11
Off the cuff: there's a siphon pump you can get from auto stores. It's designed for fuel. No idea whether it would taint water.

As for hose, I've bought food-grade clear plakky stuff from Clark Rubber. It went cloudy too. Haven't done a blind tasting with it. I find it better than water supply hose for vans for occasional use. It's more bendy and less bulky.
AnswerID: 604119

Reply By: Bushed-Tracker - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 19:55

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 19:55
J-Roc fishing and camping gear make a neat battery operated pump - several models where the suction shaft drops into the JC and a push button to operate. Takes 2x D sized batteries and pumps 8 litres a minute. They are rated for all liquids. We use ours for refilling the diesel heater tank - which is a bit of a pain to get at otherwise.Check their website and make sure you get one that will fit into the filler port on your JC.

John
AnswerID: 604137

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 20:01

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 20:01
Never seen that before - looks good - thanks.
Suitcase

FollowupID: 873836

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 21:30

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 21:30
Anaconda have a similar product in their catalogue https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/sleeping/pumps/dune-battery-pole-pump-with-hose/p/BP90078230.
Small print says it's not rated for drinking water but the chance of affecting the taste and/or contaminating the water transferring a few litres would be minimal. One neat feature is an auto off when the container level reaches the filler spout.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 873838

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:27

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:27
A lot of people seem to be oblivious to the taste of plastic in water ...... if you smoke, drink a lot of strong coffee or spicy food, your sense of taste may well be compromised.

Personally I drink a lot of water and can taste all sorts of contaminants including detergent if bottles are not properly rinsed.

A lot of that plastic taste will be oily or detergent like plasticisers used in many cheaper plastics

In general PVC is not a good choice for storage or transport of food or water.
PVC by nature is a stiff hardish plastic and requires softners and plasticisers to make it flexible.
These additives leach out of the plastic thru-out its life.
The cheaper the product the worse this is.
AND this is especially true of clear PVC products, some of which will take on a distinctly greasy nature with age.

for food and water, polly propylene, poly ethelyene and silicone are better choices.

PVC however is quite tolerant of oil and lower order solvents like kerosene and petrol.

It must also be understood that many plastics and resins are not impervious ....... they may seem to hold fluids, but with constant exposure or immersion they absorb whatever they are exposed to.

Have a look around the kitchen or supermarket at the food containers, look for the recycling marks, most of them will be either "pp" Poly prop' or "pet" poly Ethylene

note that there are at least 3 types of plastic jerry can .... water, petrol and diesel .... and there is more to it than colour ....the plastics are differently formulated.

cheers
AnswerID: 604142

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:58

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:58
This is what I've used for 15 years and its what many of my travelling friends use for water in the back of the car.
- Drill a hole thru the cap that will take the hose as a tight fit. Willow jerries are great.
- Drill a very small 1mm hole next to it as a breather.
- Cut the hose so it reaches the bottom of the tank, then a 1/2"elbow then a suitable length (say 1.3M) of hose fitted with the nozzle as shown. Saw the metal tip off the nozzle so it doesn't spray. This is a new type of sprayer/nozzle and is the best I have used to date. Better than the usual trigger nozzles. Get it at Bunnings.
Regarding hose - you need the Nylex or Neta branded stiff braided light blue hose - like in the photo - it has zero plastic taste. Do not buy the Pope brand from Bunnings - been caught out before.
To work it, it just needs an initial syphon by sucking on the tip and it holds its syphon.

AnswerID: 604144

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 13:08

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 13:08
Where did you get the elbow? It it a special variety?
cheers
Suitcase

FollowupID: 873845

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 14:12

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 14:12
Just a normal half inch elbow in the irrigation section at Bunnings - Holman brand are that colour and not pointy.
FollowupID: 873846

Reply By: Kimbarra - Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 17:30

Thursday, Sep 08, 2016 at 17:30
I use the Jerry cans water containers in the back of my rodeo Dual cab and make use of a 12 volt water pump from E Bay, around $20-30, to pump the water out into containers when needed. Just have a hose from the container to the pump and the outgoing hose has a pistol spray gun garden nozzle on the end. This allows you to select either jet for filling water bottles, etc or use spray for a quick shower after the beach or out camping. easy to wire up and place permanently on back of canopy area.
Works a treat.
Cheers, Trusty
AnswerID: 604220

Sponsored Links