Preparing my TOYO 60 for the snow!

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2004 at 19:38
ThreadID: 13341 Views:1668 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy gang.

As mother nature is hopefully about 2 bless us with her white delight & being an avid ski bunny, I'm thinking whats some wise idea's prep on preparing the 60 series dual fuel cruiser 'Betsy'.

I know obviously anti freeze (rust/boil etc) & good tyres/chains are a must ( especially for Hotham), good wipers & demister but I know that last season that she sometimes struggled for starting & being an old truck, I'm wondering what little tricks/info might help her over a couple nights in the snow?

Um, like maybe how do other people find that gas handles it?, can u put/is it worth a blanket over the motor (.. dont forget 2 pull it off! ) to insulate it?

any other idea's?

cheers in advance

rowen

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 20:17

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 20:17
Make sure the heater works really well.
AnswerID: 61075

Reply By: Member - PatC - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:29

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:29
Heading for the snow in about six weeks myself so I'll be watching this post for hints as well.
AnswerID: 61142

Reply By: floyd - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 15:54

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 15:54
Get an ice scraper fromk any garage in Harrietville or Bright

The blanket on the engine will work for about 3 hours and then the blanket eventually gets down to outside temperature so this is useless.
If you can take the battery out and put it in the lodge drying room so as it does not lose charge by getting cold

Prepare well by making sure that your electrical system (ie leads, terminals and alternator ) are all in tip top shape. This will be important for going home.

Switch it from LPG to Petrol a few kms before parking as LPG systems are prone to freezing up up here. Just yesterday one of my staff could not start his car on LPG. When we opened the bonnet the convertor had frozen solid (literally had a mm of ice over the whole thing) and the gas would not turn from liquid to gas (or maybe the other way around) as it had frozen solid. Towed off the hill. It is only 0 degrees at the moment so not even cold for up here.

Get a good ground sheet for applying chains

Get thin warm gloves to wear

Bring a shovel and take it to the lodge (not much good in the car) for digging out

Spray some lubrication into the door locks so as they turn well when frozen (plenty of broken key stories up here)

That should help a bit.
AnswerID: 61196

Follow Up By: Rowen - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:25

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:25
Howdy Floyd

cheers for your tips there mate, much appreciated

fair enough about the blanket.I thought/ hoped that theyre may be a u beaut kick butt blanket that may do a decent job over night? maybe not eh?

I check leads/ terminals etc on a reg basis. is there any specific way 2 check the alternator?

At the moment, my Tojo bus has troubles starting on petrol ( runs smooth on both tho ), so i gotta get that one worked out. mayb the pump?

i have run some hot water over the gas inlet pipe before & that did the trick but Ive never heard of the converter freezing up! holey moley.

cheers again mate
FollowupID: 322926

Sponsored Links