Anne Beadell and Maralinga

Submitted: Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:39
ThreadID: 133501 Views:3085 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

we have just returned from a trip along the Anne Beadell from Coober Pedy to Volkes Hill Corner and then down to Cook and the Nullabor Roadhouse.

The Anne Beadell was fantastic with a bit of water around at the Coober Pedy end.

There were plenty of wild flowers and lots of Sturt Desert Peas along the track.

The corrugations were not as bad as I thought they would be.
As previously stated in the forum, Robin Matthews had helped to grade the section from Tallaringa to Volkes Hill Corner and then a little way south towards Cook in April/May this year. He hopes that more will get done as funding becomes available.

A special thanks to Stephen L for all his help and information about the best camping spots, points of interest and the track itself. It was as good as you said it would be. Your help certainly made the trip great.

We saw plenty of whales at the Bight and got some good photos.

The trip to Maralinga was the highlight. A bucket list item for me. I would recommend it to anyone.

The infrastructure and build quality of sixty years ago was quite astounding. Len Beadell was a fair dinkum genius.

Robin Matthews is a great character and a true gentleman of the highest order.
He said that he hoped to be around for a couple more years to help get done what he started. The campground was first class and the tour was unbelievable.

Anyone who has an interest in this bit of Australian history should do the tour with Robin before he moves on with the next stage of his life. Believe me, it is worth every cent we paid for our time at Maralinga.

Regards,
Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:51

Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:51
Gday Peter,
We were the group of 3 with TVans who saw you just south of Voakes Hill Corner.
Glad the rest of your trip was good.
We didn't see another vehicle until Coober Pedy.
Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 604662

Follow Up By: Member - Farms - Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 13:38

Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 13:38
Hi Phil,
Good to hear from you.
It was nice to meet and briefly chat to you and your fellow travellers that day.
It's even better to hear that you had the Anne Beadell to yourselves after we saw you.
It makes the trip that little bit more special when you don't come across other travellers.
Regards,
Peter
FollowupID: 874444

Reply By: MarkHugh - Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 18:34

Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 18:34
What Peter said about Maralinga...
Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 604672

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2016 at 15:11

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2016 at 15:11
Hi Peter

Great to hear you had a great time.