Calling all Kimberley Karavan or off-road compact caravan owners

Submitted: Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 13:49
ThreadID: 133502 Views:7653 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We've had a Kimberley Kamper trailer for 14 years which we love, and have gone around Australia and Tassie and done the Gibb River Road and Mitchell Plateau etc in it.

However we think it's time in our life to take the next step and for a little more creature comforts - like the option to cook inside if you are doing an overnighter and it's raining; having a toiler/shower in those places were there are none or you need to be 'self contained' to stay somewhere; heating for when it's cold etc.

We still like to live outside where possible (especially if camped for a few weeks at a remote beach spot like Ningaloo Station), so shade and awnings are also important.

I like the quality and features of the Kimberley Karavan (and it should fit in our carport) but wondering if any KK owners have any positive or negative comments to help me in the short-listing process.

Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 16:31

Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 16:31
Karen and Bernie

We have just sold our Karavan after 8 wonderful years.

The main reason we sold was that it was becoming increasingly difficult for my wife to get in and out of bed. A spinal injury is getting slowly worse.

As you know, it is a dream to tow and it will pretty much go where the Kamper goes. I think you have the reasons for change and you will not be disappointed.

There is a Kimberley Karavan Owners Group that you will find on the net. They are a great group of like minded people. We made some wonderful friends among them and just this afternoon I spoke with one asking an electrical question.

Make the change and you will love it.

Duncan
AnswerID: 604664

Reply By: Cheryl & Ian (NSW) - Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 17:18

Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 17:18
Hi Karen and Bernie,

We too have a KK and love it. Like you we had a camper trailer (not Kimberley) for many years and did the big lap in it. We also got to the point where we thought a few more comforts would be nice, but still wanted to go to the places we could in our camper trailer.

We mainly live outside as well and the slide out kitchen is fantastic. We love having a toilet and shower and there is plenty of power with all the solar on the roof. It takes bugger all to set up, especially if you have a quick awning which we do.

We are also members of the KKOG group which is well worthwhile. You can join as a guest member I believe to look through the forum and ask questions etc. All you need to do is get in touch with the secretary which is listed on the KKOG website.

Cheers, Cheryl and Ian

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 604665

Reply By: MarkHugh - Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 18:32

Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 18:32
Have a look at the Australian Off Road campers, especially the Matrix. You will pay a premium but get what you pay for.
Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 604671

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 15:07

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 15:07
When we wanted to upgrade from our TVan to something that:
a) still retains outdoor cooking
b) quick setup awning, quality canvas
c) adding a shower and on-board toilet
d) whilst retaining as much offroad capability as possible,
We settled on a shortlist of two: the KK, and the AOR Quantum. Similar sized yet hard to compare directly as the KK has a different way to set up from the compact state to the camping state
We settled on the Quantum. We believe there is less that can go wrong (many moving parts to the KK to set it up) and the quality of workmanship and most importantly the pre and post sales experience.
Both offer off-road ability, dustproofing, and plenty features. But the AOR has a simpler and faster awning setup, has more storage and does not have those airgaps when set up like the KK has between body panels.
Hope this helps
FollowupID: 874480

Reply By: outback epicurean - Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 20:43

Monday, Sep 26, 2016 at 20:43
Another vote for AOR off road campers/crossover vans. Easy to set up, very well made and excellent after sales service. We went from high end trailer to AOR Eclipse as is had heating, hot water, internal cooking plus external cooking option.Can also be used for a short stop without having to open it all up

many options so have fun looking
AnswerID: 604678

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2016 at 16:33

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2016 at 16:33
Another vote for AOR.
We replaced our much-loved TVan a bit over a year ago and our research on the replacement options included most of the quality Australian-built 'hybrid' campers available.
Settled on the AOR Eclipse which we have had since August last year. Just coming to the end of five months on the road this year, and couldn't be happier with the van and the service from AOR.
Good luck with your selection process !!
Cheers

Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874462

Reply By: Red Dirt - Tuesday, Sep 27, 2016 at 15:47

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2016 at 15:47
KKOG Website details as follows.
http://kkog.org.au/smf/index.php
You will get honest and informed comments as a guest.
Cheers
AnswerID: 604689

Reply By: ian.g - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 15:25

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 15:25
Hi Karen & Bernie,
You could also have a look here http://www.marketdirect.com.au/#offroad_hybrid_caravans their XT15-HR is a very good looking piece of gear, I would love to own one, very well built, with all the bells and whistles.
Regards Ian
AnswerID: 604716

Reply By: Member - Spud7017 - Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 23:33

Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 23:33
Another option is a small independent Aussie manufacturer near Newcastle [Redhead] called BRS Offroad [check their FB page]. On a like for like comparison they easily match or exceed their competitors at a significant savings. My disclaimer, we initially purchased their base model and after 22k kms (around 15k offroad) in 14 months across all of Tassie, Vic Highlands, Snowies, Corner Country Flinders, outback QLD we have just placed an order for his Premium Model. Our only concern was the lack of nation wide service support, they come with 5 year warranty, but we figured worst case we can use some of the $30-40k we saved to at least get us out of trouble.
AnswerID: 605012

Sponsored Links