Help from the Directionally Unchallenged

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 07:54
ThreadID: 133515 Views:2864 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning for some time in and around the Davies Plain area and have got the Hema High Country and the Outback Travellers Davies Plain Series 6 books that shows some detail but being from the old school I've been raised on Topo's and Prismatic's. We'll also do some walking.

Can any of the "Directionally Unchallenged" (unlike myself) suggest a good detailed Topo or Topo's that covers the Davies Plain around to Mt Pinnibar Loop please.

A purchase source would also be helpful

Thanks and Cheers

dad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ROODOO2 - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 08:25

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 08:25
Hi Dad
Check out Rooftop maps listed in Exploreoz shop . I have not used this sheet myself but all the others to the west are good value showing interest points and accurate track details. All his maps are field checked "by car , bike or shanks pony" and plotted per GPS , and in that area are fairly recent . Worth a look perhaps.
Mike
AnswerID: 604709

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:52

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:52
Thanks Roo,

It may be me but I couldn't find the Davies Plain Loop here or on eBay.

Thanks anyway mate

Cheers

dad
FollowupID: 874474

Follow Up By: Member - ROODOO2 - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 13:21

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 13:21
OK try this link , you may need to copy and paste to your browser.
http://www.exploroz.com/shop/rooftop+corryong-omeo-thredbo-adventure-map
The map I was thinking of is called " Corryong - Omeo - Thredbo adventure map.
Mike
FollowupID: 874478

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 15:20

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 15:20
Thanks mate I've ordered on with the Topo's

Cheers

dad
FollowupID: 874481

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:26

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:26
If you have some sort of smart device download a copy of HD Terra Map, it's free for the standard version which offers a maximum of 3 free map areas which can be replaced with new areas when not needed, the pro version which is paid gives unlimited mapping.
AnswerID: 604710

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:55

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:55
Thanks Wicket,
The Davies Plain area fails the detail test unfortunately. Terra will zoom in to a point then "no maps of area" comes up.

Thanks for your help regardless mate.

Cheers

dad
FollowupID: 874475

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:07

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:07
Terra Map is YACOSME

Yet Another Crappy Open Street Map Example.

Open Street maps is a free contribution map. Great for well populated areas but incorrect and dangerous in remote areas. It is littered with errors and omissions away form popular areas..

OSM is for the Cappuccino set I'm afraid. NEVER use it in remote areas. It has literally hundreds of serious errors in the High country. It doesn't even acknowledge the Anne Beadell or Connie Sue Highways. 1500km of track omissions on just 2 roads.

Get Rooftop's Corryong, Omeo, Thredbo adventure map for a good overview and track conditions. It doesn't have topo information though. For that, the best, most detailed map is the Vic Topo series from Vicmap. Both are available from Good camping shops in the area, or from Melbourne Map center in Chadstone.

Did I mention OSM and the hundreds of mapping apps that use it are useless?

:-)
FollowupID: 874476

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:44

Wednesday, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:44
Thanks Boo,
Yes, while the FJC is dripping with electronic wizardry including a couple of GPS thingo's, I won't go into any wild country without a Topo and Prismatic. GPS signal does fail in certain circumstance, paper doesn't. So far :)

I've found a guy called Ian at Mapworks at North Essendon, he's 81 and sounds 40 :) but a great operator. He has agreed to go into iconic 4WD's Vic site, check the Loop and provide Topo's that cover the trip in the critical area's then give me a call - great service.

I've tried most electronic gadgetry, there easy to use but best used as a guide when it comes down to the hard stuff.

The Australian Navy still trains in using a Sextant in case electrics fail

Sometimes the latest electronic money spinner does suit the Latte set swaning around but not serious remote travellers.

I do like my 7" Garmin Nuvi with Oztopo7 maps though not perfect and need upgrading, not bad.

Cheers and thanks again mate

Cheers

dad

FollowupID: 874477

Sponsored Links