Trek Comment: Savannah Way

We have done the Savannah way twice from Mataranka to Cairns, first in a Jackaroo with an off-road van, and then in a Patrol with a Trayon on the back. Both trips were great and uneventful. We now have a dual-rear wheel Iveco- powered Motorhome and would like to do the trip again, but this time from East to West, going all the way to Broome. Does anyone have view on this plan? Should we just follow to gravel road or take the southern (bitumen) option?
Our time here is finite - so make the most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 21:40

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 21:40
Just drive to the conditions. We followed an elderly couple in 2013 from Boroloola to Normanton to assist sjould they have tyre problems. There were no problems, but it was a slow trip.
Pedro
AnswerID: 604951

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 09:23

Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 09:23
What are the rivers like between Borroloola and Burketown ?

I am heading up that way next July (I hope), would I need a snorkel to cross any of them?

I haven't done that bit of the Savanna Way so like the OP info is appreciated.
FollowupID: 874739

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 21:43

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 21:43
Forgot to mention, they were in a large Winnebago motor home.
Pedro
AnswerID: 604952

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 19:50

Friday, Oct 07, 2016 at 19:50
Rivers would be the issue. Do you have a snorkel? Water heights will depend on the nature of the preceding wet season and when you want to travel. It does rather look at if the rains have come a bit early to those parts, this year.
Can you remember what the Robinson and Calvert fords were like when you did the previous trips? Particularly the approach and departure angles?
As far as the western end is concerned, once the wet is over and the road is open and has been graded, you should not have too many issues. The Pentecost is the biggest crossing but in the dry is usually not all that deep.
I have seen a couple of ordinary hire big Britz motorhomes at El Questro that had come (in breach of hire conditions) along the Gibb and through the Pentecost and they were still going. A friend did the Gibb last year in a Trakka motorhome on 4WD Mercedes.
AnswerID: 604990

Follow Up By: Member - peterdre - Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 09:04

Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 09:04
No problems with the rivers east of Borroloola. A couple of sharper entries on rivers to the west, just take it easy, have a look first.
Robinson and Calvert fords were flat approaches, a steep hill from the east into the Calvert but no entry angle issue.
Yes we run a snorkel, but has not been necessary to date, but you never know when it may save you.
FollowupID: 874769

Sponsored Links