Judgement Calls

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 14:50
ThreadID: 133576 Views:4399 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I guess we all make them but some like, when to drive thru flood waters could generate a wide range of views from "under no circumstances" upwards.

This little note isn't a disaster story but it might give a few people a free kick, never the less in got me wondering.

So last week I was heavily depressed after the cancellation of the outback challenge and its non-refundable deposit which could of got me a new set of tyres for the wifes RAV4.

Still I sort of understand but friends decided to cheer me up by inviting us for a 4wd drive on our own property.

They were prepared but other issues meant I headed off just running 32 AT's.
While in the lead up a soggy grasssy slope I was driving carefully and made it but cruiser behind me used a little to much throttle slid sideways and despite big ST-Maxx tyres , they loaded up instantly and the car couldn't move on the 5 degree slope.

He informed me earlier that he had indeed let down the tyres but wasn't sure if going from 44psi to 36psi was enough !

Well I didn't think that was even close to a reasonable judgement call
Next a winch rope was place around a 20ft tree which promptly fell over
due to internal rotting.

Anyway the above was a side issue to me wanting to check the water in a flooded river.

I insisted that everybody watch carefully and only follow exactly where I drove. I knew the river area well and also that it had near vertical banks.
100m meters out from the river the entire farmland was under about 500mm of water but I knew exactly where the track was.

The water was not flowing at all but when I got to about 20m from where I believe the river was You could look across the flood and see that a narrow strip
of water was fast flowing - this would be where the river channel was and was an instant No No to any further progress !
I had already planned an exit strategy and we all circled around and were off.

I thought a well informed judgement call was taken but I wonder a bit , as not everybody seems to know that you have to cut your tyre pressures in half to make any real impact !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 17:54

Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 17:54
Nothing more embarrassing than a dry bog. I'm afraid my yoko geolanders wouldn't have fared well there no matter what the pressure.
You are local and know the ground so your judgement threshold is naturally going to be at the edge of other's comfort zones. That is what learning is all about. You should see me in the passenger seat of a helicopter haha.
AnswerID: 605009

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:02

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:02
I might wait till you have done your learning , before I jump in that Heli GBC.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874788

Reply By: Peter C61 - Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 19:52

Saturday, Oct 08, 2016 at 19:52
Another Dick Head that would expect someone to rescue him if it went sour. STAY OUT OF FLOOD WATERS and don't expect someone else to put their lives at risk trying to save you. You cant see what is under the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 605010

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 01:04

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 01:04
Yeh that is a typical over simplistic statement.

Many rural properties and even country towns, have their only access thru water courses, those water courses can be "in flood" for many months at a time.

There are many public road accesses that have water over them permanently or the majority of the year

Some country people would go nowhere and get nothing done for months if they did not drive thru water.

This is why many country roads, bridges and causeways have depth markers.

There are some low plains areas where there will be 4, 6, 8 and 10 inches of water across the road for Km after Km and for weeks at a time. The only way anybody gets around in those areas is to drive thru water.

The simplistic "if its flooded forget it" simply does not work in many rural areas, in particular in the far north.

There is always a point where a judgment call has to be made.

Some relatives of mine did a trip Brisbane to Darwin, by the inland route, when the rains came. ... they had to go work deadlines in Darwin

They checked road conditions with the police, every town the passed thru ....... some sections had 6 inches of water over the road for 20Km ........ the police said it was safe to travel in high clearance vehicles.

Every time there is a big rain, the road goes under at Rockhampton ...... and it stays under for many days ....... invariably the police and department of transport open the road for high clearance vehicles while there is still water over the road.

Someone makes a judgement call.

cheers
FollowupID: 874781

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 10:40

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 10:40
Here's 2 judgement calls I have made a few times over the years.

Looks like I may need some " muddies".
I shouldn't be here.

Looks like I may need a winch.
I shouldn't be here.

Dave.
FollowupID: 874782

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 11:35

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 11:35
As an ex-school bus dvr, driving a Toyota Coaster bus, on my route there were 5 causeways that I had to cross over, 4 times a day, always flooded 0.05 mtr deep

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874783

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:06

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:06
Simplistic answers are related to poor judgement calls Bantam , as in most things a considered reply is worth the time taken to read it.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874789

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:37

Thursday, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:37
But isn't it just the way these days ....... over simplistic responses to far from simple questions.

No interest in educating the public as to the real issues, just an over simplistic DON'T, based on an extreemly risk averse outlook.

cheers
FollowupID: 874878

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 12:21

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 12:21
Cahills crossing in Kakidu is classic of judgement call. The tour trucks are permitted to go through 900mm although safe to 1100mm, providing it is only tidal water. If it has rained and water flowing with more speed it is no go at all.
Know your vehicle, know the coditions and be conservitive. If you drown you get no second chance.

Neil
AnswerID: 605018

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:31

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:31
Mostly common sense and care I'd say Neil.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874792

Reply By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 15:52

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 15:52
Have heard, tour bus operators, unload passengers, put all the luggage from down below, inside the bus, drive through the river, unload the baggage. Then go back across and pick up the passengers.. while doing this, leaving the lower cargo area doors open, to allow water to flow through the bus.. this was in the north of Western Australia...
We crossed half a dozen or so flowing creeks, in the flinders a few weeks ago, but when we came to the river, we knew we had no optio, but turn around.. cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 605020

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:00

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:00
Common sense as always Odog !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874787

Follow Up By: gbc - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:44

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:44
We did the same on a mccafferty's coming south from Cairns during floods. We were all inside though with the baggage all through the aisles. Miles and miles underwater on the Bruce highway.
FollowupID: 874793

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 18:12

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 18:12
Well when we worked in the bush we had to drive a tractor and trailer 2 miles up a track with a creek half way. We had made a track through it with bags of concrete to give a good surface. Did it every day for a couple of years.

Creek was up a bit but "Knowing the area and vehicle" and making a "judgement call" I took off across it. Got out in the middle and front wheel dropped suddenly where a bag had washed away.

Wooden trailer started pulling tractor around and downstream.
With a lot of tooing and froing I got it out and eventually got across.

Didnt try that again. which all goes to show no matter how well you know the area, the unexpected can and often does happen.

If you cant see the bottom DONT CROSS IT.

Rather than being smart and playing in it just for fun.

Not the most sensible thing thats been posted here.
AnswerID: 605022

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:11

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:11
Judgement calls are made by all of us all the time Tom - make the right one and it'll be years before the divorce.

So a better plan is to constantly seek ways to make a judgement calls.

Some just call this experience !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 874790

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:18

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 19:18
Was cut off by flood waters at SIL's property for several days a few years ago, and when we crossed the flooded creek to get out we couldn't see the road under the bonnet deep brown coloured water...but we were smart enough to walk it first to make sure there was a road there and see just how deep the water actually was. Also we were smart enough to wait for the crossing to be just backed up flood water and not fast flowing storm waters that first cut the road off.
Blanket statements count for nothing...people need to use some smarts at times also.
FollowupID: 874791

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 20:18

Sunday, Oct 09, 2016 at 20:18
Yes the guy in the Toyota that got swept away last week and who it was said had been 4wd'ing for 40 years made a "Judgement call" and look what happened to him.

Didnt learn for all his years of "experience"

There is a difference between having to go through as in rumpigs post and going and playing in it just for fun.

Only stupid people do that.

We thought we knew it was Ok cos had been yesterday and it nearly got us into serious trouble. The reason we we attempting the crossing was because we were carrying the food for 50 people who had already been stuck for a couple of days.

Wouldnt have thought of doing it otherwise and was the only time we did in 5 years.
Similarly we had been trying to get up a river in flood in a dinghy. After spending 90 mins on wrong side of the current opposite the wharf we were trying to get to and having to refuel the outboard while it was going flat out we gave up and retreated. Sometimes its just better to stay in bed LOL
FollowupID: 874795

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Oct 10, 2016 at 07:53

Monday, Oct 10, 2016 at 07:53
That clown tried driving through the fast flowing flood water, not a very smart move that one...as said, people need to use some smarts at times, and he didn't
FollowupID: 874802

Sponsored Links