Roof Racks

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 20, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1336 Views:1620 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm currently looking at a number of roof racks to store the usual suspects for a desert trip (spare tyre, jerry can etc). Can anyone recommend a good solid steel roof rack, that would cater for this.

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Thursday, Jun 20, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 20, 2002 at 00:00
Rob,

IMHO I really think that the ARB racks are the best quality available on the market today. The have many varieties to choose from and all are powder coated and very strong. The brackets for attaching racks to gutterless roofs are well designed and strong.

Check em out yourself and when compared to the competition I think you will agree.

Stuart
AnswerID: 4335

Follow Up By: Mikes - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
Rob I have an ARB rack and would certainly recommend them. I was hesitant before I bought one because I thought that they may have been overengineered (ie too heavy) but after a fully loaded Cape York trip and thousands of bastard corrugations, I was very happy with my choice. I have never had any worries about build strength but I look at some racks on other vehicles and wonder whether they would have handled the same stuff. Only problem with the ARB racks is they are bloody heavy. MikeS
FollowupID: 1854

Reply By: James - Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00
I have a Jaram Rack on my vehicle. It has only been on a couple of trips but has stood up well. It is an alloy rack so it is lighter but is still rated to carry the maximum weight. They have a good deal of variations to their racks. They also had a ready built ladder which I have found very useful. Several other brands did not sell ladders but suggested going to a local engineering company to get one made. I think they are based in WA and I got mine freighted to Darwin. Good luck.
AnswerID: 4365

Reply By: Dave - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Rob,

I have a "Tradesman" brand rack purchased a few months ago from Opposite Lock. This is also a heavy and well engineered rack. It has been to the Vic High country and a few other shorter trips and does everything I need it to. It is also considerably less expensive than the ARB rack ~ $680.

Highly recommended.

Dave
AnswerID: 4401

Sponsored Links