DO 35 Hitch problem revisited see thread 133711

Submitted: Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 11:28
ThreadID: 133727 Views:8119 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again thanks to everyone that offered some great advice to my problem described in that earlier thread.
What I didn't mention was that I was on a short 6 day trip to see how my new DMax performed towing my campertrailer and what I noticed shortly after placing my initial post was that the hard plastic/rubber surround on the hitch was rubbing on the tow bar tongue where it angled down at about 45 degrees to the horizontal bit where the tow ball attaches.
So I inverted the tongue and attached the trailer and the hitch worked fine so it must have just been fouling on the tongue just enough to cause the problem I was experiencing.
Not a good solution though as I'm sure the capacity of an inverted tongue wouldn't match its intended 3.5 tonne capacity but my trailer only weight 1.5 tonne so I go home ok.
Getting a service done later in the week so shall see what the dealer can do about addressing my concerns.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 13:05

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 13:05
You turned the tongue over , don't think it makes any difference to the towing capacity ,
Do you clean / wash , grease the DO-35 , I have one on my Tvan .
AnswerID: 605712

Follow Up By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 08:59

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 08:59
Thanks Jackolux, yeah I do give it a spray with WD40 every now and then. The configuration of the tongue that came with the ute is such that under load the critical weld is partly in compression and partly in shear, if I invert it compression changes to tension which is not as good for welds so must reduce it's capacity, whether or not thats by a significant amount I'm not sure.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875483

Reply By: Dean K3 - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 14:04

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 14:04
Slip in hitches are designed to give plus minus ride height adjustment. fairly common to "invert" the hitch so it sits higher than lower to allow for articulation of off road coupling.

Ideally hitch should be set up to be level ride angle height with trailer is hooked up but not always possible

AnswerID: 605713

Follow Up By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:02

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:02
G'day Dean, yeah the configuration on the tow tongue as supplied is such that under load the critical weld is under compression and shear but if inverted compression becomes tension which would reduce the design strength of the weld, whether or not that would be significant I'm not sure.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875484

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 14:09

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 14:09
Hi Gary

You should not have any issues with the inverted tongue on your vehicle. If you are concerned, do as I did when I purchased our Ultimate camper, and that is buy a Hayman Reese inverted and extended tongue.

I wanted the inverted type to make the camper sit level on the back of our vehicle and the 50mm extension gave us that extra room to be able to open the back door fully when still hitched up.

One item that I can fully recommend if you do not have one is a Stone Stomper to fully protect your camper.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605714

Follow Up By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:03

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:03
Thanks Stephen, I'll see what the Isuzu dealer says and if I'm not happy I'll go down the Hayman Reese path too.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875485

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 14:48

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 14:48
Why dont you buy a towball with a longer shaft so as the hitch is a bit higher and doesnt catch as it is doing now.
These towballs are used on other hitches to give clearance and may be the easiest way to solve your problem
AnswerID: 605715

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 19:01

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 19:01
Some heavier hitches like the 3.5T one on the 200 series cannot be inverted. Should be stated on the hitch like so:

Sounds like you had the Mark2 version of the DO35 anyway! The plastic shroud wasn't on the original mark 1.
AnswerID: 605722

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:05

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:05
Thanks Phil.
Cheers, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 605743

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 10:09

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 10:09
On the subject of these hitches be aware that they do need some cleaning/maintenance as I discovered.
I found that it was getting increasingly more difficult to have the hitch clear the ball each time however I put it down to the angle of the 'van to the car each time.

Eventually I had significant issues trying to get it off and way out the back of Marble Bar and quite isolated on my own I was faced with the fact that there was an issue and I had to dismantle it to find the problem.

It was simply lack of maintenance on my part as I used to pump it with grease but never clean it.........Upon dismantling ( be careful of the little spring ) I found that some grease had hardened over time into quite a solid lug and was preventing the mechanism from fully retracting to clear the ball pin. In fact it looked more like a half cir clip and I was carefully removing it when I realized what it was. So all cleaned and flushed and reassembled and it was like new!
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605747

Sponsored Links