buying a used car: tips for the best price?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 20:18
ThreadID: 133733 Views:2483 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
ive had several cars over my time, managed to get a grand or two knocked off.
Never really haggled much, don't have the heart for it usually.But this time ive decided that I'm going to really push for the best I can get,

Ill be paying cash in the range of 26 - 30k. for a used ute.
I would appreciate any tips you guys could give me re beating the price down, and by how much?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: swampy - Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 20:57

Monday, Nov 07, 2016 at 20:57
Hi
Always have a Full Comprehensive check by the local car authority.
Raa,Racv etc
Including compressions etc $$ 300-400
Look / Research for known problems your particular model has and make sure they are fixed or reduce the cost to have them fixed .

tomo

AnswerID: 605728

Reply By: Jarse - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:22

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:22
The first thing I do is check the car's value on Redbook as a starting point. I then look at what extras are fitted (in reality they add little to the second hand value IMO, as they only satisfy the person that fitted them).
Other things to check:
Service history;
KM and compare it with the average travelled;
How old is the ad? The longer it's been there, the lower the offer;
Compare the trade-in value to what a dealer is asking (Redbook);
Build date. Lots of ads say "first registered 2015" when the compliance plate says late 2014 (for example). More often than not, the seller is trying to move it as a 2015 model. It may be 2015 spec, but it would still be valued as a 2014 model by dealers/Redbook/insurance company etc.
I'm sure there are plenty of other factors you would take into consideration as a buyer.....

Once I've weighed up the above, I work out the MAXIMUM I would be prepared to pay. The price I offer is usually somewhere in between trade in and dealer asking price. Always closer to the trade-in price.
Used cars/bikes are almost always a buyer's market so keep it in mind.
It's only worth what you think it is worth. There have been instances where I've just moved on to the next car/bike. I just keep in the back of my mind that the seller needs to sell, I don't need to buy. I'm not rude or aggressive towards the seller, I just move on If I can't get it at or below the maximum price I worked out earlier.
AnswerID: 605739

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 20:45

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 20:45
good feedback
FollowupID: 875507

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:56

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:56
You are in a good position because you aren't trading in and will be paying cash. You just need to act like you are very interested but hesitant to spend the money. Take the car for several test drives over a few days, then let them chase you with better offers, don't chase them. Add a car from another dealer into the mix even if there isn't one. Your stance is you like the car, need incentive to commit, and deciding on an alternative you fancy as well. I've had them ring me a week later with really good offers. These guys are pros, but at the end of the day, you don't have to buy, but they have to sell. Then again, if you hold out too long someone else may take it. They'll say someone else wants it even if that's crap. I'd call their bluff on that and too bad if it's true. :-) At the end of the day you are looking for a deal that you feel is a bargain, as soon as it's on the table, take it.
AnswerID: 605740

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 20:47

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 20:47
that's cool about letting them call me - ive always been hesitant to give a dealer my number,
FollowupID: 875508

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 12:27

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 12:27
Do your research and when you have found exactly what you want shop around, be patient. Often private seller cars will pop up way cheaper than dealer. Remember a dealer puts a margin on a traded car etc, often a private seller will go in low so they can sell the car quickly. Once you find the car make it subject to a mechanical inspection. If it's a dealer used car simply tell what you want to pay and wait for them to call you when their ready to do the deal. Don't be afraid to haggle the worst they can say to you is NO. Whoopy Do.
AnswerID: 605751

Reply By: tim_c - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 15:08

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 15:08
Don't let them pressure you into making a commitment right now, here, today. They'll try to get you to commit knowing there's a good chance if you walk out the door, you won't be back.

The question is: if they know you won't come back after having had some time to consider the deal they're offering, obviously the deal they're offering isn't that great.

If they offer a price and say it's only valid today, you can be pretty sure if you came back tomorrow (after having had time to consider it without them hovering over you and pressuring you) and offered the same amount, they'd accept it.
AnswerID: 605761

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 07:32

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 07:32
Give your insurance provider a call and seek their value advice. We are with Shannon's.
AnswerID: 605773

Sponsored Links