Top-end Bush Camping Spot Recommendations - Tinny and Camper Trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 10:36
ThreadID: 133758 Views:2941 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all,

Julie and I try to spend a couple of months during the dry season each year in the Top-End. We love to bush camp and get around in a 200 Series and a solid off-road camper trailer.

This trip will be a bit different, as we will also have a 3.7 tinny/topper and 20 hp outboard and would like to try some new spots that in addition to good camping, also cater for boat/fishing.

Basically, we’d really love to hear from anyone that wouldn’t mind sharing some recommendations on spots for setting up camp for a few days and we don’t mind being completely self-sufficient…….We aren’t looking for caravan park type accommodation.

Somewhere relatively quiet, a bit of shade and a safe spot to launch the tinny (only 75kg) in the water for a bit of fishing/crabbing. Freshwater (river) or Coastal, it doesn’t matter as we will move around a bit during the time we are away.

As for the area, we are looking at a line that stretches everything north and between Broome WA and Borroloola in the NT….

I've seen some places online, in blogs etc, though not really many indicating if they are recommended; or otherwise.

Thanks in advance and warmest regards,

Greg and Julie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Monday, Nov 14, 2016 at 07:07

Monday, Nov 14, 2016 at 07:07
Hi Greg & Julie,
There are some good fishing spots off the Savannah way up north. Have had success at Limmen Bight Fishing Camp on the Limmen River, and King Ash Bay. Towns River is also good. Ammenities are minimal, there are plenty of big crocks, and you need use live bait.
Have Fun !!!
Pedro
AnswerID: 605880

Reply By: Member - Greg and Julie (UK) - Monday, Nov 14, 2016 at 07:27

Monday, Nov 14, 2016 at 07:27
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the map.......

I've travelled the track a couple times over the years from Roper Bar. There was a great spot just off the track called Tomato Island. We called in to visit some friends there, though we didn't have a boat. The last time we came through there it had all changed and developed into something more up market......

Thanks again and cheers,

Greg
AnswerID: 605881

Sponsored Links