Lawn Hill

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 16:35
ThreadID: 133783 Views:3746 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Are the roads into Lawn Hill Campgrounds suited to "semi" off road vans-caravans, and are any of them pet friendly?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 17:05

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 17:05
The last section into the park is just a normal gravel road for the area, however the main road from Gregory Downs is good and wide as it is the main road into the mine and they required 5 x triple road trains of Diesel a day when we were last up there.
You can't take your pets to the campground at lawn hill however you might be able to Adels grove (better camp anyway) a call will confirm this.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605940

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 19:51

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 19:51
Hi Jill

If you come in from Gregory Downs, there is less than 40 kilometres of good dirt road and stock standard Falcons and Holdens towing on road caravans make the trip in.

If you are taking your pet, you will not, as far as I was lead to believe, be able to stay at Lawn Hill, as this is National Park. On the other hand, Adels Grove, only a 10 minute drive away is dog friendly. They even offer to take car of your dog if you want to take a trip into the Park.

Enjoy an must visit area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605949

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 19:57

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 19:57
Yes, plenty of on-road cars, vans, motorhomes go in - but take the route via Cloncurry, Burke & Wills Roadhouse, Gregory Downs. It has the least unsealed road, and avoids the wet crossings of the more direct route from Mt Isa.
When you book in to Adels Grove, tell them you have dog, as there is a part of the campground that is no-dog, no-generator. The main and original part has dog area.
AnswerID: 605951

Reply By: SuperGrover - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 23:17

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 23:17
We left our van at Gregory Downs and drove out to Lawn Hill for the day. It was quite rough and corrugated in places. That was in July. A newish 4 wd towing a semi off road caravan was on the side of the road broken down after the electrics stopped. I was unable to help but when they contacted their breakdown service they were advised that it would be $3000 to get someone out. However there were quite a few vans at Adele's Grove but not many at Lawn Hill
AnswerID: 605959

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 23:29

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016 at 23:29
We went via Riversleigh, and although there were a couple shallow causeways at river crossings, this section it was a unsealed road suitable for any unsealed road capable rig. This may vary between gradings. We phoned Adel's Grove the day before to ensure a site and to ask about road conditions. We stayed a few days and loved the National Park.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 605960

Sponsored Links