Time for tyres

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 20, 2016 at 11:03
ThreadID: 133796 Views:4050 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Everybody,

I haven't contributed to the forum for quite sometime for a number of reasons.
One of the reasons is because we've been travelling through the country discovering new places for ourselves.

That has lead to our need to renew the rubber under our wheels.
Currently we have a set of six Toyo Open Country M/Ts. They have been brilliant. We have travelled 97,000 kms on them. At least half of that on bitumen, two trips to the Gulf country through Western Queensland, across the Simpson Desert and throughout NSW, including the Corner Country. Many kilometres have been towing my work trailer on bitumen.
They have chips from gibbers and rock climbing but continue to handle well and are quiet on the road. I routinely have the wheels balanced and alignment checked plus I have the tyres rotated every 15,000 to 20,000 kilometres, depending on where I have been.

I am going to stay with Toyos but have been considering fitting their Open Country A/T2. This is my question - we are heading off again next April, north to Fraser Island then west through Queensland, across the Simpson Desert to Dalhousie, up to Alice and the surrounding areas for starters, then we are going to start travelling. Pretty much the same as we have done for the last 100,00 kms but would I be getting the same service out of the A/T2s as we've had from the M/Ts.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Nov 20, 2016 at 19:10

Sunday, Nov 20, 2016 at 19:10
No,you probably won't get the same service .....if you are happy with the K's and how they perform, stick with the same you have !!

The old saying....when you are on a good thing, stick with it !!
AnswerID: 606033

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Nov 21, 2016 at 00:23

Monday, Nov 21, 2016 at 00:23
My suggestion, as Gronk said "when on a good thing stick to it".

Unless of course you feel that a less aggressive tread pattern might serve you better.

Now as to whether you will get the same, or close to the same life????

I think only you will be able to answer that question. I might get less, I might get more. The bloke next door might be hell on wheels and lucky to get half that milage.
A couple of guys in the next town might use the same tyres and one swears by them, the other guy swears at them.

Different needs, different driving styles, different usage.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but for what it's worth a bloke I know has a set of Toyo I think the ATs but not sure without looking, and reckons so far they are a good tyre. No idea what distance he has done so far.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 875798

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Monday, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:45

Monday, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:45
Yep, If your happy with them, stay with them.
Just as an aside A mate of mine fitted a set of Radar Mud terrains about 6 months ago. never heard of them myself, apparently have 3 ply side walls cost was $240 ea they certainly look the part and he seems to think their OK That's all I know check them out for yourself.
AnswerID: 606052

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:59

Monday, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:59
Thanks Trouper,
I like the Toyos because they are a 10 ply tyre. The sidewalls are my main concern, especially when running at lower pressure.
With the constant 4wd it's best to run the same size tyre all around so once I have a set I can't change a couple if things don't work. The M/Ts get cut up but handle it but I don't want to run more rubber than I have to.
It's just my little stress thing I go through every couple of years. Thanks for your input.

Steve
FollowupID: 875806

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Nov 24, 2016 at 13:38

Thursday, Nov 24, 2016 at 13:38
Hate to be the bearer of bad news eighty matey but the "Ply Rating" of 8 or 10 ply etc apparently has nothing to do with the number of plys. It's actually a rating or load capacity based on how many cotton cross plys in the old days.

So a 10 ply tyre can carry more load than a 8 ply but may not has as many plys.

The actual number of plys in the sidewall is usually 2 or 3. The Toyo MT has 3, and the Toyo AT2 only has 2. But even then it isn't simple, as many 2 plys are more robust than some 3 plys.

Arrrrgh.

I went crazy trying to get to the bottom of this, I ended up with the Toyo AT2 because they had about the right aggressiveness and had lots of good reports for desert tracks.

Toyo also make the M55F which may be of interest. I think Stephen L and or Baz use. They are mainly for offroad.
FollowupID: 875881

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Nov 24, 2016 at 15:10

Thursday, Nov 24, 2016 at 15:10
"Arrrrgh" is right Boobook.

At around $420 per tyre, the Toyo M55F would want to be good..... no, bloody brilliant.

All very well if they return high mileage but not if you happen to ruin one early in its life.

After days of searching and agonising, I am leaning toward BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 @ $309. Only question now is whether to keep a pair of my old Bridgestone D697's as spares or see if I can get a good deal on six BFG's. Yet more decisions..... my head hurts!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 875884

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:09

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:09
Steve, I know where your coming from, I stress a little when new tyres are needed for the Troopy. But funnily when it comes to the daily driver I not too fussed I just put on what the local rubber dude suggests.

Jeff
AnswerID: 606088

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:20

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:20
Me too. I change brands each time. They are due now and I am agonising.
One day I will have tried all brands and may have a favourite. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 875831

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 13:18

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 13:18
If I couldn't get the Toyos for the right price I would have changed. Price is a big factor, especially when I get six tyres at a time.

My first price for Toyos at the local Tyrepower was over $420 a tyre. I got a price from a local independent and the M/Ts are priced at $305 a tyre.
I did get a price for Goodyear Duratracs at $310 each.

Good luck.
Steve
FollowupID: 875832

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Dec 05, 2016 at 10:15

Monday, Dec 05, 2016 at 10:15
The BFG T/A KO2 consistently get good user reviews from the biggest such website in the US, tirerack.com

I fitted them for the last outback trip during which we did 2000+ kms of dirt (towing) and was happy with the traction. We had to do some mud puddling aired down to 20 psi. They are a genuine 3 ply though and that makes for a firm, perhaps even harsh, ride.
FollowupID: 876162

Reply By: nickb - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 15:50

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 15:50
I have had Toyo AT2 for around 17,000km. Very happy with wear and wet road grip, much quieter than my previous Maxxis 980. Have done Oodnadatta track and GCR towing a 1.5t camper and they have no chips or marks. Probably 80% tread left.

I believe the sidewalls are only 2ply, tread is 3ply. They do bulge out noticeably more at 15psi than the Maxxis did.
AnswerID: 606097

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Nov 24, 2016 at 21:59

Thursday, Nov 24, 2016 at 21:59
Thanks for the feedback and education people.

I've decided to stay with the Open Country M/Ts.
I've had good mileage out of ATs and good mileage itself isn't what I want. ATs with long mileage have been cactus by the time I've had to change over and these tyres are still going strong.
I've had a great run out of these tyres so I'll have another go.

Thanks again.

Steve
AnswerID: 606179

Reply By: Member - BenKFNQ - Monday, Dec 05, 2016 at 09:32

Monday, Dec 05, 2016 at 09:32
Don't forget Nitto, who I am advised actually are the parent company of Toyo.

I was assured by several retailers when doing my research that they have the same tyre carcass in both, but with different tread patterns. I ended up buying the Trail Grappler, but have heard that a new model called the Ridge Grappler is about to be released to Australia. This one is currently in the US, and seems to be like an aggressive AT tread pattern, with very good reviews so far.

So far I have been very happy with the Trail Grappler, but have only done around 5000klms on them, so it is hardly any sort of firm validation.

The Ridge Grappler might be what many of us are looking for. Time will tell.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

AnswerID: 606424

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Dec 07, 2016 at 06:53

Wednesday, Dec 07, 2016 at 06:53
It'd be great if you could post a review in twelve months time and let everyone know how they're going. It's always good to keep looking at new products, I reckon.
What was the price like?

I ended up getting another 6 Toyo Open Country M/Ts. In The end I worked out that the M/Ts have been a great tyre and I ended up getting them for $305 each from an independent tyre dealer.
Our current set have travelled nearly 100,000 kms over six tyre and I'll still get a couple of months from them.

Thanks for your input.
Steve.
FollowupID: 876198

Sponsored Links