It would be hard to beat this service

Submitted: Monday, Nov 21, 2016 at 21:26
ThreadID: 133805 Views:3566 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
8 years ago I made a claim for damage to my rear right wheel and tyre after
hitting a kangaroo then into a ditch which badly damaged my mag wheel.
Rang AAMI right wheel mag and replaced and small amount of panel beating fixed as well as front spotlights.
Last week after losing brake fluid from the right hand rear side of the vehicle I discovered my suspension on that side i.e. springs had gone through the floor of the vehicle.
On inspection you could see the spring tower had cracked and gave way over the years. AAMI covered this claim with no excess as the damage was deemed to have been caused 8 years ago.
When they say they have a lifetime guarantee on their repairs they mean it.
Thank you AAMI
DBN05
Harvey, Tasmania
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 07:43

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 07:43
Very hard to beat! A decent insurance company not trying to wiggle out of something.
AnswerID: 606077

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:04

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:04
First thing they check when you ring is how long you've been with them. If you are loyal, they are too.
I am repairing a structure damaged in last week's Brisbane storms. Circa $a1m repair job. The cleanup last week was nearly $200k. No quote no tender, just 'look after our loyal clients and we will have a quantity surveyor look over your invoices - have a nice day' .....
You are probably not an aggressive consumer who chops and changes insurers for the best bottom dollar and are reaping the rewards of that.
AnswerID: 606078

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:11

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:11
Good to hear.

Their quotes have always been OTT for me.

My father had a bingle and went to claim and AAMI said 'you haven't paid the renewal premium'. He said the notice never arrived and they accepted the claim anyway.
AnswerID: 606079

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 09:28

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 09:28
Personally, I think insurance companies get a bad wrap! Essentially like banks, blamed for everything that goes wrong, or not the way of the consumer, without real regard for the underlying facts.

The thing about insurance companies is that if they didn’t meet claims no-one would waste their money insuring anything – so both consumer and provider are dependent on each other fulfilling their obligations.

Great to hear about this outcome!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 606082

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 09:29

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 09:29
I recently had a claim for Water in my deisel. There was no apparent damage to the vehicle engine etc but a bit of work required to remove the tank etc. Anyhow GIO covered the lot, no excess. I asked them what happens if some sort of damage was done to the injectors, pump etc that hadn't shown up. The gave me a written guarantee that this was a lifetime warranty on the repairs and if anything did show up, they would fix it!

Certainly sounds like they have a similar system in place.
AnswerID: 606083

Reply By: Zippo - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 14:07

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 14:07
Step-FIL's rental house was torched in September. Fortunately was between tenants, although the incoming ones had moved quite a bit of their possessions in and were literally 24 hours from occupying.

CommInsure were contacted, took all the details and they advised they had an "under-insurance" clause. I've met these before, where they reduce the payout in proportion to their assessed level of under-cover. Nope, this was the opposite - if they deemed the loss/damage exceeded the insured sum, they would pay out up to a maximum of 25% ABOVE the insured sum. And they did. We are still (pleasantly) surprised.
AnswerID: 606091

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 16:47

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 16:47
It is not unheard of to have a Patrol spring pad let go. Can't see how a Roo strike would cause that. Keep a good check on the other side. The Roo may have hammered it too.
AnswerID: 606099

Reply By: Member - 8111COLIN - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 16:48

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2016 at 16:48
My son recently had flood damage to his engine 50 mm of water in the air cleaner box and the filter had to be rung out , he started the engine to move it out of the flood water and it started missing , he is not mechanicly minded at all and continued to drive home on 3 cylinders .

On arrival the engine was knocking it's brains out .
I called AAMI who said yes we will cover the damage , it went to a mechanical repairer of their choice as they wouldn't let me take it to a Diesel mechanic of my choice , they stripped it down and and said its not consistent with water damage so you will have to pay for it your self , the verdict was we could't see any water in the engine only the intake , they said it was a bearing .
2008 Hilux 140,000 kms on the clock , $7'000.00 later
Not happy

Hilux
AnswerID: 606100

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2016 at 20:03

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2016 at 20:03
Of course they wouldn't see water in the engine. It just causes damage to rods and bearings and is expelled by running. So it is "no more there".
What does the diagnosing mechanic expect to see. Litres of H2O in the engine cylinder??????

A poor diagnosis in my opinion. Water will tend to sit in an intake but the hurricane of induction will/does/ certainly draw it into the cylinder. Any mechanic who is diagnosing such events should know that if they are competent.

A report of damage should reflect the high probability it DID happen.
FollowupID: 875865

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Nov 25, 2016 at 19:08

Friday, Nov 25, 2016 at 19:08
Could have been a result from the previous accident weakening it. Not totally uncommon for them to crack or bend quite a few people get the Superior Engineering coil tower brace fitted to prevent it happening. I believe there are at least 3 different brands on the market to suit GQ ,GU trolls. Also some of the GQ's had the same problem after a certain year but my 93 model apparently is fine. Strange though vehicles are getting heavier with each new model released but some previously known faults aren't being rectified to suit.
AnswerID: 606219

Sponsored Links