Dog Friendly Camp grounds

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:58
ThreadID: 13383 Views:26893 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just wanting to plan our usual getaway at Easter next year & was wondering if anyone could let me know places to camp that allow dogs? We love beach camping & usually go to Double Island or Fraser (definitely no dogs allowed up there). Also this Easter we went to Kwiamble (great place if you haven't been) National Park so no dogs. Next year we'd love to bring the boy along as he's always missing out. We're looking for something up to 4 hours from Brisbane Beach or Bush that still has something to do in the way of fishing or caves or waterfalls etc etc for a group of people with kids. Hope something exists.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 07:57

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 07:57
Cant resist, sorry......

Dog friendly Camp grond......... Fire Hydrants, bones, kids on pushbikes, lotsa cats.......
AnswerID: 61309

Reply By: The Banjo - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:39

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:39
Most newsagents and book shops carry the "Pet friendly caravan parks book" (not sure of the real name). Has national entries. We like to take Towser too....why should he miss out ? ...he's a person too !
AnswerID: 61318

Reply By: Billy - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:02

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:02
"Bush Camping with Dogs" available in ExploreOZ Shop.
AnswerID: 61328

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 15:00

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 15:00
There is a book by Life - Be In It called Camping with Dogs and lists all caravan parks and camping grounds which are dog friendly. Happy travels with your waggy friends.
AnswerID: 61346

Reply By: Cruisergxl - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 16:34

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 16:34
We have Bush Camping with Dogs and can recommend it, only thing it could do with is slightly more precise locations to the sites ...

Try
http://www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au/
AnswerID: 61357

Reply By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:02

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:02
Hi Skunky

North Stradbroke Island allows dogs, Flinders Beach and the Camp sites on Main Beach South of the Causeway. We camp there with our two mutts and they love it.
Good fishing as you would know and close to Brissy.
The Campsites on Main beach are awesome and always plenty of room to get an area to call your own.

P.S The dogs are supposed to be on leads at all times.... especially when the ranger is around.

Cheers Cruisin
AnswerID: 61448

Reply By: skunky - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:57

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:57
Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies! I will look at the books & websites & start planning. I thought I'd heard something about Straddie being a possibilty but wasn't sure so thanks for that one too! It will be nice for our Samson to have a holiday with us for a change rather than being left behind on guard duty!

Happy Holidays!

AnswerID: 61472

Reply By: Squid - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:41

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:41
Hi Skunky,

I asked a similar question for last easter (Post id:6370), some good info there.

My recommendation, however, would be The Gorge, near Copmanhurst, northern NSW. Absolutely beautiful spot, rarely gets lots of people, Neil, the property owner likes to make sure everyone has plenty of room. Cheap to boot as he only charges by the car, $10 per night, if I remember correctly, so great if you've got a family.

We were there last Easter, for the first time, nearest camper to us was about 300meters away. Camped right on the Clarence River, good fishing for bass, great swimming, plenty of room for the dog to run around. There is a walk to some waterfalls further up the Gorge.

Believe me when I say this is the spot. Just watch out for the cow poo, it is a working cattle property. Can be a bit a bit of a shock when you have dug your poop hole and quietly going about your business only to find a cow sneaking up behind you.

If you go next Easter I will see you there.

Let me know if you want the contact details.
AnswerID: 61539

Follow Up By: Squid - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:48

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:48
Hi Skunky,

Slight correction - spoke to the other half and we were there October long weekend last year - seemed longer than that. Went back in late December as well. (That's right isn't it dear?).

Cheers
FollowupID: 323014

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:53

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:53
Skunky,
Have a look at Keppel Sands Cara Pk, bit further north at 1/2 between Rocky and Emu Pk but ood fishing, crabbing etc. Yeppoon is only 20 odd minutes away in one irection and Rocky a little bit more in the other. Cave to explore just outside Rocky, KEppel Island etc off Yeppoon. Great meals at the Keppelll Sands hotel, croc farm down the road. Oh and you can take yur dawg.
AnswerID: 62565

Reply By: Member - Chris {Karratha} - Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 13:29

Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 13:29
Thanks Guys, we are planning a trip around oz {2 months} with our dog, leaving Karratha around the 20th of Oct. spending the first month from here to and in Nth Qld then the next 4 weeks down around the coast and back to Karratha.
I jumped on here hoping to catch snippets of info here and there and here you are talking about exactly some of the area we wanted to know about.

Both the books mentioned above are excelent we use them over here in the west a lot.

I guess one thing we will have to be mindful of is N.P.'s as we will be doing as much off the bitumen as possible, does anyone have any advice for going up through to Karumba and across to cairns, there look to be a few places we can stay but we are a little worried about just travelling with a dog in the car as well.
AnswerID: 62982

Sponsored Links