Troopie Fuel Problem ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 07:56
ThreadID: 13384 Views:3126 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have an intermittent problem with a 95 Troopie 1HZ that has me (and others) at the tearing hair stage!

Started after it had been unused for a while (garaged by RACQ and run regularly) while I was overseas. Now been present on and off for nearly 12 months, so hair is getting thin!

At first everything seemed OK, then a couple of times a few minutes down the road after starting normally it would hesitiate, miss, partly die, and on a couple of occasions stopped dead. Most embarassing in traffic! But then start and run perfectly a couple of minutes later.

Twice now on a 150k highway run it has coughed, spluttered etc etc to the stage where it would hardly keep going, first time so bad I had to stop but after a few minutes to check for anything obvious it started perfectly and completed the rest of the journey without a murmer. Second time (last Sunday) kept going and eventually came good itself!

Third problem, very occasionally, after standing for a couple of days refuses to start, then eventually does after excessive cranking and/or manual fuel pump. Seems to be mainly in hot weather.

Generally runs very smoothly, plenty of power, cruises the highway at 110k+, no problems in traffic around Brisbane's hills.

I have gone over it many times for anything obvious as have various other places during services, blown out hoses etc but usually when it's being serviced it runs perfectly - what else?

Things it is not:

Fuel in both tanks clean, tanks alternated
Fuel Filters clean, no sign of water or dirt
Tank changeover valves working OK, problem occurs on either tank
Fuel cut solenoid clean and working OK
No obvious leaks (air or fuel)
Most time starts at first flick of key without cranking
Battery OK (replaced recently due to old age, problem still there)
Glow plug supply and timer OK
No smoke black,white or any other colour
Happens hot or cold

If it was petrol I'd suspect plug, distributor, condenser etc but diesels are not supposed to need these.

If it was fuel pump or injector it should be there all the time or get progressively worse. Same for a leak.

Perhaps it's just like me and getting on a bit so sometimes just does not feel like performing!

Before going for a full injection pump overhaul, with associated big $$$, any ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Apologies for the length of the post, but trying to give the full picture.

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: crfan - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:37

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:37
Pretty sure you are getting air into the fuel line (tiny amount) most often it is from the fuel lines going to and coming from the fuel filter/s or the O ring at the bottom of the filter.
Try changint the spring clips to worm clamps and replace the O ring on the bottom of the filter.
Hope this helps..
AnswerID: 61325

Reply By: Member - Ken - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:40

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:40
Rob.
This is just a suggestion.

My 1HZ has an in line filter between the tank/s and the main filters.

Some dude put it in before I bought it and it was brought to my attention by a young, keen, service tech many moons and services after I bought.

He was quite excited that he had found it and took the trouble to put it on the hoist to show me.

It was one of those little plastic one way petrol type thingy's. Full of all sorts of crap including wood chips.

He reckons it was near the 'death knell' and would have caused fuel type problems 'very soon'.

Anyway the vehicle gets a new one of those every time now.

Its just a thought and something else for you to check.

Mine is located halfway lalong the drivers side chassis rail in behind other hoses and electrical conduits that have tied to the fuel pipes. Its hard to see unless you know where to look.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 61327

Reply By: mijochka - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 15:21

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 15:21
Rob.
Whilst I see you're sure your fuel is clean, I have to say that the symptoms are EXACTLY what I experienced with my 12 HT and eventually diagnosed as algae in fuel. Fooled a couple of very competent diesel mechanics to the point where a lift pump was replaced unneccessarily.Particles were being drawn into the gauze filter on the pickup, the motor would die, thereby releasing the suction, particles fall away and motor runs until cycle repeats itself. Totally random,totally unpredictable and totally frustrating! The fact that your motor sat idle may be significant, as this is the environment which promotes algae growth. Might be worth checking.
Mick
AnswerID: 61349

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 15:33

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 15:33
Just a suggestion I had a similar problem with petrol cruiser and eventually found faulty elec. connection on fuel cutout.
Try bypassing all electical circuits for fuel solenoid.
If you have a faulty connection that is building resistance then cuts out, and reconnects when you pull up after a couple of minutes as it cools.
Just a thought.
Roachie had a problem with too many filters on the patrol and I will get him to come on and explain. Only relates if you have added filters.
AnswerID: 61350

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 18:56

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 18:56
Hot start probs can be due to worn injection pump, a friend had to replace his due to similar probs to you.
I'd be draining and flushing the whole fuel system to remove possibility of loose stuff blocking fuel pickup.
Some 1 HZ's have a gauze filter on the inlet side of the injection pump, it could have something blocking it intermittently too.
Is the fuel tank breather system clear and free of obstructions (like mud wasps), symptons could point to a vacuum in the tank/s leading to fuel starvation. Which tank are you running on when it happens?
Leave the cap loose for while to see if it still happens is the easiest way to prove the vacuum problem.
AnswerID: 61375

Reply By: Member - Ken - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:49

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:49
Hey Rob

Have you figured out what it is that is causing the problem yet.

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 61471

Reply By: zoran - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 13:20

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 13:20
Rob, On a couple of occasions Ive found debris lurking between the banjo and banjo bolts on diesel fuel systems. This debris can at any time restrict fuel flow and often occurs intermittently. I suggest you start at the injection pump and remove every banjo bolt and inspect the pipes & banjos for cleanliness.Work your way back to the fuel tank. Use compressed air to blowout your fuel lines & fittings. Pay particular attention to any strainers that may be positioned in the banjos or banjo bolts, and always service your fuel filters. Regards, Zoran.
AnswerID: 61490

Sponsored Links