Place Comment: Stuart Highway & Kingoonya Road Intersection

South?? I would say it is more like west off the Stuart Highway on Tarcoola Rd and then turn south at Kingoonya to Mt Ive and Gawler Ranges etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:22

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:22
Agree, Rod. This intersection is near Glendambo and the road does head west to Kingoonya.

The road that heads south to Kingoonya intersects the Stuart Hwy at S 30d 37m 50.1s, E 135d 23m 51.3s (From EOTopo 200K on Ozi Explorer)

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 606345

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:32

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:32
Hi Rod

That was the issue that I brought up the other night. Some kind person has added this place, but had no idea on where the place is.

They had the coordinates as 0.00000 s and 0.0000 w with an altitude of more than -30000 m.

I put in a request to have these details corrected and Michelle said that she had contacted the person who added the place on how to correct it.

24 hours later it still had not been corrected, so I corrected myself the correct position and altitude and added the 2 images, without even looking at what else is wrong.

As I said in my original post that has now been removed, if people want to add places to the "Places" database and do not know what to fo, then please ask for help rather than stuffing up the place added.

I still think the original person should correct it, as they are the one that stuffed it up in the first place.

I can do it, along with many other propel, but it should not be up to others to correct others mistakes.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606347

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:42

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:42
Hi Rod again

If we had to wait for the original person to correct their stuff up, it will never get changed, so I have changed it myself so the details are correct.

In future I will just concentrate on the places that I add, that way I know that what I do will be accurate.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606348

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 15:17

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 15:17
Stephen

I don't know who puts places on this site but my home has been put on the site.
The coordinates are not accurate but I would think it inappropriate as it may give the impression it is a place you can visit, not a private residence.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 876081

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 20:20

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 20:20
Hi Tjilpi

You have raised a very good question, in that who has put your place in the "Places" data base.

I can now only speak on my behalf, as all places that I have added (well over 1700 and still climbing) are places where the general public have access to.

I have on the other hand visited many special Aboriginal sites that I have been given private access to and I have not, and will not add these to "Places" because these places are just that..."very Special" and are not to be seen by every Tom, Dick or Harry.

If you need your place removed, I ask you to please do either of the following.

Firstly open the place in question and press this Tab

When the Tab open, write details why you would like the place removed.

If you still require further help, send Michelle a private email and request that the place be removed and state it is Private Property and the public have no access.

I hope this help you out and all the Best.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876086

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 13:08

Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 13:08
Hi Stepehen from Kununurra - I got your Alert and I was going to contact you to explain that the place you appeared to comment on is a Station and this place has been in the Geoscience Place Name register for ever so is not just on ExplorOz. Our ExplorOz Places database does not only show tourist sites, and showing location of registered Stations is important. However if something is incorrect please let me know. I can delete it if station is not accurate.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876095

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 14:26

Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 14:26
Hi Michelle

Thanks for that.

Seasons Greeting to you and your great family

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876099

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 18:00

Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 18:00
Michelle

Thanks for your reply.
I have added in the comments section that it is a private residence and my contact details. That should hopefully suffice. I am aware that it is shown on Geoscience and Natmap but it made me wonder how it got on this site.

Regards

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 876102

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 18:00

Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 18:00
Oh dear, sorry I addressed this incorrectly. I meant to provide this info to Tjilpi - Kununnurra (NT) - I got confused addressing it to you Stephen! Apologies.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876103

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 15:03

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 15:03
The turn itself is actually ~west-southwest (the road then veers west as you go further along)...so can see how someone would describe the turn as "south" even though it is closer to "west"...possibly a slight misconception at the time while not referring to a map/compass.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 606350

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 04, 2016 at 20:17

Sunday, Dec 04, 2016 at 20:17
Sorry Folks, but the place was added by someone that DOES know where it is. The coordinates were recorded on site when I passed through it in August on my way to Kingoonya. The problem is, that because I didn't add the altitude when I entered the new Place in OxplorOz the system chocked on it and although listed was not accessible for me to complete it. David advised me a few days ago that he had fixed it but that it had no coordinates and that I would need to add them. I have been away and not able to do so. It appears that someone else has found it, mistaken the intersection for the one that turns west at Glendambo, entered coordinates accordingly and added some photos of the intersection that they believed it to be.

So I will leave this Place is it is but change the wording and the description of the location. The road west from the highway at Glendambo is Tarcoola Road. The intersection that I had set up is to the north west of Glendambo where the road turns off the Stuart Highway on the western side and runs generally south toKingoonya. It is a double width road over most of its length and is regularly graded. It was in excellent condition when we drove it.

I have a GPS track that I intend to send to David so that he can make changes to the map if he so desires.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606414

Sponsored Links