Best Vic high country tracks with a camper trailer?

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:33
ThreadID: 133875 Views:6824 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I'm heading to Canberra from Melbourne next week via the high country and am after some intel on the best tracks and campsites.

I'm towing a Conqueror Commander with a 200 Series Land Cruiser. We have recovery gear, including winch. I am an experienced 4wder (though no expert).

Any advice?
Cheers
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 19:58

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 19:58
Hi Chris,

This is off the top of my head so you need to check.
We used to travel regularly from Western Port Vic to Canberra so in reverse a good drive could be -
Canberra to Jindabyne
Jindabyne to Suggan Buggan and camp
Suggan Buggan to Benambra (via Browns Mountain??), then to top of Falls Creek,and camp.
Down the hill to Bright and camp if you like then on to Melbourne.
An alternative, if you have not already done it is straight down from Jindabyne to Buchan then Bruthen, then on to Melbourne, a whole lot better than the Hume!
We have tried other options but these are a good start, and we also were towing a camper whenever we travelled via these suggestions.
Rgds,

Rob P
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 606355

Follow Up By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 20:13

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 20:13
Chris,
I should add that we normally travel with the dog so our camping choices may be more restricted than yours.
There are some great camping spots in the NP along the Snowy River etc and obviously once in the area of Falls Creek/Mt Beauty or alternative.
Rgds
Rob
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 876085

Follow Up By: CKG - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:27

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:27
Thanks rob.
FollowupID: 876111

Reply By: splits - Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 22:47

Friday, Dec 02, 2016 at 22:47
Chris

Your best bet would be to contact the tourist info centres in the areas you are interested in.

I have spent a lot of time driving around High Country tracks. There are countless places you can take a camper trailer but conditions can change so quickly that you really should have last minute local advice.

I lived in the Snowy in the eighties and nineties and have even driven through falling snow between Christmas and New Year. At the moment the snow will still be melting and the river crossings can be deep and fast flowing.

Another problem on those tracks is fallen trees. I have cleared some on my own and many others while in small convoys. On one occasion the tree trunk was so big in diameter that our convoy of seven cars had no choice but to turn around.

Not even tourist centres can tell you where fallen trees are going to be so make sure you are carrying something that will enable you to cut your way through the majority of them.

AnswerID: 606382

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 02:57

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 02:57
I've spent four days riding in the hills around Mt Beauty and only found one log across a track. Lots of evidence of clearing.
My 4WD club spent a few days track clearing in the Alpine NP around Benambra. We expected carnage after this winter but there wasn't and there was nothing huge. But YMMV.
FollowupID: 876110

Follow Up By: CKG - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:45

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:45
Thanks splits. I'm taking a chainsaw and and realise I may meet impassable points. Your point about the snow melt in the streams is valuable. I'll seek out local knowledge.

My plan at this stage is to travel from Mansfield to Dargo via howqua hills, bluff hut, zeal spur, Wonnangatta homestead, Talbotville and grant junction.

Then up to Omeo via Hotham to get onto the Davies plain road to Tom Groggin. The Murray Crossing at Tom Groggin may be an issue, so I'll ring ahead.

Have you driven the Birregun road between grant junction and Cobungra?

Once we get to Dargo we'll reassess our plans given the how long it takes to get there and the road conditions.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 876113

Follow Up By: splits - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 21:11

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 21:11
"Have you driven the Birregun road between grant junction and Cobungra?"

No. You may have already found this link. Birregun Road It looks like it is suitable for camper trailers but is very steep. It should not be a problem in dry conditions..

From what I can remember of the Davies Plain Track, it was very steep and rocky near the Tom Groggin end.

One point to remember with stream depths is they can change quickly even after the snow has gone. On one trip in a small convoy in a heat wave in January, we drove easily through a river somewhere near Wonnangatta Homestead. We came back in the opposite direction two days later and it had risen so much that it washed the dust off the first thirty percent of the bonnet on my Hilux. It may have been caused by heavy rain somewhere else but we did not see it.
FollowupID: 876131

Follow Up By: CKG - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 23:38

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 23:38
Thanks splits - I didn't know about that bonze site.
Chris
FollowupID: 876137

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 03:04

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 03:04
There's too many variables. My best may be your worst. Grab some Rooftop maps -Bright to Dartmouth; Snowy River etc. Available at servos, general stores and newsagents in the area. The maps have warnings on steepness fords etc.

Map Index.
AnswerID: 606384

Follow Up By: CKG - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:31

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 07:31
Thanks Sigmund. I have rooftop maps. They're really valuable. I find the detail on the contour lines very useful too.
Chris
FollowupID: 876112

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 08:06

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 08:06
Tom Groggin Tk will only just have reopened. It's steep - would pay to talk to Parks Vic about it, if you can locate a ranger. The heavy rains have done some erosion damage in the mountains.

The Murray crossing there is straightforward and I'd be suprised if you had any trouble. But again, if you're talking to Parks.... I wouldn't expect much from the Corryong Info Centre.

Geehi Hut near there is a nice place to camp.
AnswerID: 606385

Follow Up By: CKG - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 08:10

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 08:10
Thanks sigmund
I'll try parks vic.
Cheer
Chris
FollowupID: 876114

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 08:41

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 08:41
The Murray's height at Biggara, the nearest water gauge to TG and well downstream, is 0.69m - classed as below minor flood level.

Good luck with your trip. It's fabulous country down that way.
FollowupID: 876115

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 11:29

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 11:29
The ford at TG is about 20 cm less than the Biggara gauge so won't be a problem even for non-lifted rigs. If you want a steep track then climb Tingaringy from the easy east side then descend the western side. Actually going up the W side will be the challenge...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 876117

Follow Up By: CKG - Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 11:33

Saturday, Dec 03, 2016 at 11:33
Thanks Warrie. Sounds good but I'm not sure my passengers are up for the same level of adventure as me...
FollowupID: 876118

Sponsored Links