Trek via the backroads Scone NSW to Tamworth.

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:56
ThreadID: 133962 Views:5863 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Somewhere deep in the darkness of the EO archives was a contribution from someone who had done a backroad trek from Scone NSW to Tamworth. I had saved this with a view to travelling it myself however with my recent changeover of computers it has 'flown the coop", even though I was sure I had saved it.

If anyone has such a trek I'd love to get a copy. I could not find anything in the Treks or Blogs, and suspect it was probably posted in the Forum. Again, a search has failed to find it.

Thank you in advance if anyone is able to unearth it.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:20

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:20
Afternoon Jack

I think the trek you are looking for is almost certainly Scone to Tamworth via Hunter Road and Barry Road. Used to do it fairly often when I was working but not for a couple of years now. Very scenic with about 20 crossings - not deep. Easiest way to find the "road" is to google Barry Road Nundle and have a scroll through to see the way. Couple of gates and Glenrock Station has changed hands recently but the way should still be open.

Enjoy the drive.

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 606793

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:32

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:32
Much obliged and thank you John. That looks good and it is now on my To Do list as well. I just this minute found what I originally wanted .. posted by Terri and called "The Back Roads Of New England". Appreciate your input. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.
Jack

FollowupID: 876520

Reply By: RBH - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:29

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:29
G'day Jack,

I travel that way regularly for work and there are 2 very scenic options.

1. Via Crawney Pass:
Scone - Gundy - Timor - Nundle.
Usually a good drive, fine for 2wd if it's not wet, but there are a few tight bends and narrow sections up Crawney Pass so there are signs saying unsuitable for caravans.

2. Via Barry - this is probably the one you are thinking of.
Scone - Gundy - Moonan Flat - Ellerston - Barry - Hanging Rock - Nundle.
Beautiful drive through Ellerston Station, Glenrock Station and Barry Station. 4wd through Glenrock and Ellerston, but fine for a Forrester or Rav4 type car if dry. All public roads although there are 2-3 gates to go through. Usually in pretty good condition unless lots of recent rain - the track criss-crosses Schofields Creek 20 times on Glenrock Station. This can rise quickly but goes down pretty quick. Crossings are typically only about a foot deep at most. I've happily towed an off-road camper trailer through there but be prepared to reverse if you meet someone in a few tight spots and I wouldn't recommend a caravan. Through the stations there are a few side tracks, but it's usually pretty obvious which is the main road. Coming from Ellerston toward Glenrock you will cross a grid that has a "Road Closed" sign hanging on the gate beside it. Don't be put off by that - it has been there for years, left over from when a steep section got washed out a bit further on.

I have to stop several times along the route so can't recall specific travel times from one end to the other, but we spent a weekend out at Moonan Flat a while ago and it was an easy and pleasant day trip to go to Nundle for lunch (via Barry) and come home in the arvo (Via Crawney).

Richard.
AnswerID: 606794

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:33

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 14:33
Thanks Richard ... it looks terrific.
Appreciate your input. Have a terrific Christmas and 2017.
Jack

FollowupID: 876521

Reply By: Iza B - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 15:57

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 15:57
Barrington Tops then up Thunderbolts Way, is an interesting drive. I would not suggest towing anything up to the Tops from Scone.

Iza
AnswerID: 606798

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 20:39

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 20:39
Timber trucks and Nat Park trucks go up there all the time, so a caravan is OK as well. Unless of course if you don't like dirt roads !
I have towed a CT and a van up there but the van isn't huge !!
FollowupID: 876542

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 22:01

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 22:01
Have hauled up and down Thunderbolts Way loaded at an all up weight of around 42 tonne and have also gone both ways with a 2.5t van on the back.

Sadly some trucks haven't made it because one in particular, just didn't do what I have said below.

Just respect the terrain and drive accordingly. Steady, steady on your side of the road and if you are towing keep your engine, gearbox and brake temps down. No big right foot going up, locked down gears going down and nom riding brakes.

It is a lovely drive and easy if you do the right thing.
FollowupID: 876547

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 22:08

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 22:08
I have done the Barry Road trip about a year ago.

There are quite a few drainage humps going up the pass so you would have to have a van with good departure angle.

I went over Barrington tops via Gloucester to Moonan Flat to show a relative a source of the Hunter at Polblue Swamp.

There is a vermin gate at the top of the pass with a no entry sign but I had contacted Tamworth council and was advised that all were public roads with no locked gates.

FYI I have never seen so many dead wombats as I saw approaching Hanging Rock. I think there about 10 in that many Ks.

Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 606810

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 23:43

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 23:43
If towing, I'd give the Barry Station or Barrington Tops Road a miss.

Barry is very steep and a bit of a crap road to tow along, good fun on an adventure bike though.

Barrington Tops goes through some really nice country, but it is quite steep at both ends and a long way out of your way if going to Tamworth.
Heading through Moonan Flat and taking Tomalla Rd will bring you out on Thunderbolts Rd, then you have the long climb to the top of the range, just so you can drop down the other side to Tamworth. Tomalla is a reasonable road and apart from the first few km its not too steep and with nice sweeping corners (and good fun on a bike). You can stop at the Niangala Berry Farm though, which does some nice liquors.

I'd probably go this way though, it parallels the highway and is gravel all the way from a few km up Waverley Rd to Nundle. https://goo.gl/maps/BdDD2ibRm4v
AnswerID: 606811

Sponsored Links