Out side shower

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 16:00
ThreadID: 133964 Views:5715 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have one of the pop up shower screens Few ideas thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 16:45

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 16:45
I have one of the old school canvas bags with a shower rose in the bottom. I think it holds 10-15L of water and is enough for 2 people to get clean, although it takes significantly more water if both are in there at once.
Some of them have a canvas strap stitched to the bag to hang it off and I have heard of the stitching failing on them. The one I got has eyelets punched through the canvas and a loop of rope over the top and I have had no problems with it, it's not hard to modify one if the stitching starts to let go.

For mine, I sling a rope over a branch and position the shower, then move the tent in under it. My tent was a cheap Aldi job and it didn't have a hole in the roof to allow for a shower to come in from the top. The quick application of a piece of fencing wire heated in the camp fire soon rectified that issue and sealed the edges so the nylon won't unravel.

I drop the bucket down and fill it with water. The weight of the bag will push the tent to the side a bit, but it pops up straight when the weight is gone. Then you haul the shower up once filled with warm water (pushing from the bottom of the bag while pulling on the rope), tie it off and go into the tent and have a shower.

I have seen them hooked over a shovel wedged under a roof rack where trees are a bit sparse.
AnswerID: 606800

Follow Up By: Glenn C5 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 06:34

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 06:34
Yes Hoyks. We know why 2 in the shower uses more water. Because your playing around instead of showering !!
FollowupID: 876554

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:04

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:04
Hi Chris a,
The hardest part of those shower screens is getting them refolded and into the bag.
By the time that's done you need another shower
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 606802

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:44

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:44
I've had a few of them & never had a problem, unless I try to use their instructions. I fold it as I would coil a bandsaw blade.

FollowupID: 876531

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:45

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:45
And that is why you practice at home as well as download the youtube clip you your phone so you don't look like a goose with no idea in the corner of the camp ground wrestling with a toilet tent.

How to easily fold a tent and not look like a goose...
FollowupID: 876532

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:58

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 17:58
your not Aussie if you dont sit back and laugh at someone trying to fold tootetent ..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 876534

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 19:04

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 19:04
I studied the YouTube clips and practised so that I wouldn't finish up wrapped within the damned thing.
It worked! On the first trip I drew a deep breath... and voila... it elicited applause from the onlookers.
I was a Legend.
But I had better practice again before next season!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 876538

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 19:39

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 19:39
In my opinion it works best if you start from the narrow end
I saw this on a YouTube clip too
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 876539

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 06:35

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 06:35
I'm a narrow end starter too.
FollowupID: 876555

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 09:04

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 09:04
Instructions from suppliers to be useless.
The last pop up I purchased from a independent camping retailer, He offered to take a video on my phone of him folding it up. I took the offer up and have never had a problem since.
FollowupID: 876559

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 19:14

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 19:14
I threw away the shower tent years ago. If travelling by oneself not a problem. I like to shower mid afternoon when its not usually as cold and also you do not need as much hot water. One of the joys of camping is a shower in the sunshine. If there maybe others around, stop before setting up camp in a more isolated spot for a shower. When I am travelling with others and we stop at the end of the day, I find a spot far enough away, have a shower, then drive to camp with the others. These days I have a water heater but before I had one I would dig a small hole, about the size of a billy, put some small sticks in to fuel a small fire to heat a billy. All very easy and no bl..dy tent. Hopefully I do not frighten too much of the wildlife.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606805

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 20:26

Monday, Dec 19, 2016 at 20:26
Hello

I use one of these - 12 Volt shower pump ( $30 to $40) out of a 20 litre bucket. Water flow can be adjusted - you can have a good scrub up on about 5 litres.

Leaving the bucket out in the sun all day works in some circumstances ...or you can add a bit of hot water from the kettle.

Pays to also carry some type of rubber matting as well. I use a solid rubber base with that open jigsaw stuff on top.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606807

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 08:51

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 08:51
I agree with Greg,

You need some sort of matting or grid so you don't stand in mud at the end of your shower and its also nice to have clean feet for when you get dressed.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 876558

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 09:13

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 09:13
I have the same set up. 12v, 10L collapsible bucket and a thick holey mat.
Use of a 20l solar bag to heat the water up helps and if that fails I boil 1.5l of water and add to the cold water.
If in a secluded spot, no need for the pop up, I just suction cap the shower head to the side of the 80 series and away I go.
Generally use about 8L which includes washing my hair,I don't have much :).
The hardest part about showering in the pop up is to position the shower head for a decent shower projection.
Cheers
FollowupID: 876560

Reply By: eaglefree - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 00:42

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 00:42
Before wee weakened and built our 10' caravan with toilet and shower, I tried a few ideas.

We owned a Detour motorcycle camper (top unit) and had ordered it with a longer drawbar. Added a poly trunk. Half the trunk had a portapotti over which draped a small tent with top steel ring. The concept was to leave the potti in location for the purpose with feet on a pad on the drawbar. As well you stand beside it to shower.
It worked OK.
With our van we too use a camping 12v shower with the small submersible pump in a bucket placed on top of the portapotti. Plenty of water in half a bucket. We use a solar water bag placed in a basket on the drawbar to heat up while travelling.
AnswerID: 606812

Reply By: Gundarooster - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:39

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:39
Many years ago my wife told me if I wanted her to come camping she needs a shower so I fitted one. I have a 70L water tank under the Patrol where the Aux fuel tank used to be (new Long ranger main fuel tank so range not an issue), its plumbed thru to the engine bay and a Helton Heat exchanger and 12 v pump with a recycling tap to run it thru the tank a few times to get it hot enough, then to a tap mounted behind the LHS rear mudflap. I have a alloy rail that slides out of the side of the roof rack (with a tent fly for a curtain) and a bracket for a shower head with a hose that screws onto the tap. The rock slider steps become a soap and shampoo holder and a rubber mat to go on the ground. The 70l tank does about 3 showers each and a 12v bilge pump can refill it at a creek crossing. Whole setup works great is easy to setup and use and my wife now enjoys camping.
Gazza
AnswerID: 606815

Reply By: Member - Trevor_H - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:43

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:43
For the pop up screen: Practice, practice at home before you start camping. Find the best position of your thumbs that gives you a clean fold up every time and mark that (with liquid paper or marker).
For the shower: 12v bilge pump in a bucket connected to a shower nozzle via shut off valve( the cheapies die at the most inconvenient times).
Keep the screen, 12v shower pump system and camp mat square in a quality underbed storage box (preferably sunlight resistant). The storage box base doubles up as shower base inside the screen - grey water contained and no muddy spots.
We couldn't fault this in 8 months of travel before we upgraded to caravan shower.
The big win with the storage box is that you can argue that you are self contained!
AnswerID: 606864

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 20:44

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 20:44
Had the 12v pump and bucket, traded the bucket for a silicon folding one, but eventually settled on an idea I got off a forum (this one?) years ago. 8lt garden sprayer (hand pumped pressure spray) with the head replaced by the shower head from the 12v unit. It's slightly bulky (though not terribly), very light and gives a great shower (just heat two litres of water, add three and two of you can shower in comfort.

I carry a pocket shower for long bushwalks, but got caught out in what I thought was a remote section in the Grampians (no such thing nowadays). Mid shower a group from a Melbourne girls college came wandering by. Gotta be careful out there, I only just escaped! ;-)
AnswerID: 606896

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 14:49

Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 14:49
We use a Wild Country ensuite tent. Takes about 5 mins to set up & pull down. Need a mat or something under foot to keep the mud out. Recently purchased a set of "Matts Mats". They lift you up off the ground by about 25 or 30 mm and allow the water to drain through.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 606954

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 17:18

Saturday, Dec 24, 2016 at 17:18
Two billies, one warm, one cold. Half a litre in each, if pushed. Wet the face washer in the warm one, apply soap, rub on body. Dribble water on head, apply shampoo. Wash out the cloth in the warm billy. Rinse yourself with the remainder. Tip the cold over the head - for that all-over virtuous feeling.

Use a microfibre face washer or a chamois, and that'll do as the towel as well.

Foolproof. Cheap. Compact. Durable. Light.

If someone looks at you in the process, that's their problem!
AnswerID: 606957

Sponsored Links