Port Augusta to Peterborough

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:04
ThreadID: 133966 Views:5427 Replies:10 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one advise a suitable bypass from Port Augusta to Peterborough without travelling through the narrow/steep road which I think could be in the Stirling ranges?
A few years ago I travelled the opposite way and I can remember the road very steep, narrow and numerous sharp bends.
Three of us (caravans one large) are travelling from Kalgoorlie to Toowoomba in late February and I am concerned about this part of the highway.
I welcome any advise.
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Anthony G1 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:16

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:16
We towed our 20.6 Lotus Trooper up through the "Pass" last year and yes its a bit steep but only for a short stretch. Down the other side is not to bad. A lovely drive along the north road, I think, with a lot of vineyards on the way.

You can get across to Broken Hill from there.
AnswerID: 606823

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:28

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:28
Hi Ian,

It'd be difficult to avoid some sort of steepr winding roads travelling through, this is the southern Flinders Ranges that is being traversed, so it needs to be tackled somewhere.

North of there would be a detour to Quorn and down from there, and that is winding in places through the range.
You'd have to go down to Pt Germain to the southern crossing, and that I feel is probably more winding.

Either would add a fair distance than going through Horrocks Pass to Wilmington, after that you're all clear.

Maybe time has made the drive seem 'larger than life' as these things tend to grow in our minds with time.
I think you'd be ok taking it steady and using correct gearing.
AnswerID: 606824

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:38

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:38
As PK Ranger said, Horrocks Pass is not that bad. I think it is not much worse than the road from Midland to Northam.
We live in Toowoomba and have travelled that road numerous times en-route to WA.
In any case it will give you a bit of practice for travelling around the hilly eastern states.
FollowupID: 876565

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 20:52

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 20:52
Horrocks Pass is a designated B-Double route so you should be able manage with a van ??
FollowupID: 876567

Reply By: Mikee5 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:34

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:34
You may have travelled Germein Gorge previously, that is tight and windy. Horrocks Pass would be the way to go, not difficult for a caravan. My wife towed through this section last time. There is a good lookout and free camp at Hancocks Lookout near the top, but a good way off the road. Or you could go all the way down to Port Pirie before turning east.
AnswerID: 606826

Follow Up By: Al-one - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 19:52

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 19:52
I believe the free camp at Horrock's Lookout has been closed on the request of a local farmer. It may ony be a day use area now.
FollowupID: 876566

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 21:12

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 21:12
Can be very windy up there anyway, better to get on the east side to camp off the range.
FollowupID: 876568

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 22:45

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 22:45
Hancock Lookout has definitely been closed to camping. It is also around eight kilometres of track to get there.

Ian, Horrocks Pass is not daunting, as others have said. A bit of a climb but probably not as long as the Greenmount Hill or Armadale Hill out of Perth.

Hills in Western Australia and South Australia are nothing compared to the
Great Dividing Range in the eastern states, and Towoomba is right on the range.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 876569

Follow Up By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:15

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:15
Thanks Motherhen I definitely have no trouble with Greenmount??????
FollowupID: 876583

Reply By: Member - Rustygq - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:40

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016 at 17:40
Horrocks Pass to Wilmington, lovely bit of road. JUst a couple of Ks steep winding but wide and trafficable even with a van. Pitchi Ritchie pass, Quorn to Port Agutta not as steep but winding, longer but more scenic. Neither should be a problem

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 606827

Reply By: mike39 - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 08:21

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 08:21
What about going down to Port Pirie, across to Jamestown then back North to join the main Broken Hill highway.
But having said that, we have towed our van across Horrocks Pass, both directions, on our regular WA prospecting trips.
Although a bit steep/windy for a relatively short distance, it is plenty wide enough for trucks/vans to pass each other.
There is a small o/night camp spot up near the top which we have often used (not the lookout).
Mike
AnswerID: 606846

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 08:27

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 08:27
Horrocks pass is fine and rated a 26m bdouble route, this gives you an idea of the road width and corners.

You will enjoy the drive and the road is plenty wide enough, unless you start to cut corners.

AnswerID: 606849

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 13:03

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 13:03
Thanks everyone for the information, at least I have a better idea.
just as a bit of useless info I was in grade 1 at Peterborough before moving to Kalgoorlie and my Mother and myself were on the " Sir Robert Gordon Menzies" GM Diesel that was shunted into the end of the Kalgoorlie railway platform and damaged the roof as well.
AnswerID: 606858

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:43

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:43
The Horrocks Pass was closed to traffic when we drove through Wilmington in late September this year. I have no idea for how long it was to be closed.

An alternative route would be through Quorn via the Pichi Richi Pass.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 606869

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 18:23

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 18:23
I see nothing wrong with Horrocks Pass. I would be too embarrassed to admit I was scared of it.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 606873

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 19:58

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 19:58
I agree, where is your sense of adventure?

Driving in WA is boring, try a road like The Great Alpine Way in Vic or Falls Way near Dorrigo NSW

As mentioned earlier just about any road on the east coast running down to the coast will be a steep climb but they are drivable, you just need to take your time and enjoy the drive.
FollowupID: 876581

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 20:02

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 20:02
So the OP asks questions about alternatives to a road that causes him anxiety and you guys take the piss.

You are both pathetic.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876582

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 07:24

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 07:24
There are ways to tell people that they have done something wrong, perhaps have insulted someone without a return insult. All 3 of you should look them up on google. I'm getting weary of this type of banter, the site has a lot of posters who are now staying silent because of it.
FollowupID: 876590

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 17:42

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 17:42
I agree Michael H9,

I for one am wary of posting a reply for fear of not being 100% accurate, or incorrect spelling or whatever erks the pedants.

I also notice that there is less posts on this site than before, is it because people are scared of being attacked?

I think it is.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 876602

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 18:50

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 18:50
G'day William. I don't think scared is the right word, it's more to do with if you want to be involved in the conversation if and when the tone goes dark, which it often does. A lot of us are still getting used to the quirks of internet communication where things can and often do get misunderstood because there is no body language to accompany the content. Personally I find the use of emoticons like smilies can completely change the readers perception of what is being said. Sadly they aren't available here.
By the way...I was marking your reply and the only mistake you made was using is instead of are in the "there is less posts" bit. Hey, get your act together mate. :-)
FollowupID: 876604

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 06:29

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 06:29
I've found with the 'net that that most people have an agenda, bugbear, hobby horse, personal weakness or some axe to grind, and are unconsciously looking for opps to vent.
Ever notice how many threads on any forum include answers that don't have anything to do with the OP? Very common.
Like answering a question nobody asked. I suppose I've been guilty of it over time.
Special interest forums seem to be the worst. I have been a member various musical, electronic, or hifi and other special interest forums over the years and all have fallen by the wayside for me. Too much elitist mentality by some wanting to build themselves up at others expense.
It's much easier to mitigate that in real life, no so much online.
I call them campfire experts, and I suppose most people are tempted to want to impress people with their wisdom, even when its not asked for.

Whoops, I just did it, didn't I.
FollowupID: 876619

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 08:16

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 08:16
Love it when people have a whinge about off topic forum convos.
It's called human nature folks . . . sorry all you blokes and sheilas.

I would love to see that around a campfire for sure, someone slightly changes the conversation topic, and "Hey mate, hang on, you're going a bit off track here !! Back to topic"
And someone needs to stand up, put their hand up, and 'post' a new topic in a clear voice !! LOL. :D

Threads do get a bit too far off topic sometimes (ok often) on all forums, but see how long a campfire convo goes without going from cars to women to mods, to politics, to humour etc etc.
FollowupID: 876623

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:40

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:40
Ian,

I would encourage you to have another go at Horrocks Pass. That drive between Port Augusta and Broken Hill is very nice. If you use Wikicamps I would suggest stopping at the Apex park in Kimba and the at the rest stop at Yunta. Both nice places.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 606880

Sponsored Links