John Cadogans reviews - opinions?

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 12:25
ThreadID: 133992 Views:3317 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
While I've viewed many of his YouTube reviews and endured his incredibly caustic personality, I have to wonder about his "objective criteria" standard.
Sure, you can compare cars by looking at a list of power and gadgets - but if I bought cars based on his criteria solely, most vehicles that I've owned would be on his lemon list.
Vehicles that have almost all been really reliable and performed well for years under towing conditions.

E.g., if a cars engine output falls beneath a certain output compared to others in its class, he calls it 'asthmatic' and 'underdone'.
Seems like all he cares about is max output for min engine capacity.
Also, many of the vehicles he rates highly on 'objective criteria' have gone on to be less than stellar in user reviews , which are surely more relevant than his objective criteria lists.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 15:15

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 15:15
He is a smoke and mirrors Motoring Journalist. that is all which needs to be said about him.He gets paid to " report".
I have NEVER taken any notice of any motoring journalist and happy with my purchases then and into the future.
Motoring journalists only survive by being regarded as knowing something, they may not be inline with normal public needs.

A D7 Caterpillar dozer which drives at 120kmh should impress him. Tight suspension though, good for corners, plenty of grunt, hugs road, tears up the highway, got a big turbo too.
AnswerID: 606971

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 15:58

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 15:58
I agree, it's wrong to assume anything is simply the sum of its parts which is what he is doing. I traded a 180kw petrol Subaru with a 0 -100 time of 8ish seconds for a diesel Land Rover with 120kw and a 12ish second time to 100. I was expecting to be very disappointed but was prepared to adjust to compensate knowing it was a diesel. However, I was delighted with the new car and have never felt the loss of those 60 kilowatts. This really pointed out to me the folly in purely going by numbers on paper. Still, he's making a living and pointing out the raw facts for each car is to a certain extent, helpful in making a decision if used correctly. It's up to us to draw our own conclusions from those facts. Unfortunately, sometimes he chooses to omit facts. For instance, he rates the Colorado very highly on his objective criteria, even though it has essentially the same 10 year old motor as a diesel Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee, a fact he conveniently leaves out. I doubt such a motor would rate that highly if reliability were a major criteria and may even deter some people. The other 2 of his top 3 utes are almost the same car, the Ranger and BT50, so not much variety there.
I could certainly do without his course language, it adds nothing of value and cheapens the impact of the review, for me anyway. However he's a smart guy, studied the market, thought it through and is playing it for maximum effect to the largest audience he can get. I just assume that I'm not in that group. :-)
AnswerID: 606972

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 19:31

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 19:31
Having viewed a few of this gentleman's "reviews" I am reminded of a phrase that has been used in various forms to denote someone easily taken in.

Something about there being one born every minute.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 606975

Reply By: cro142 - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 20:53

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 20:53
This guy seems to write for maximum impact on his perceived readership.

This really has nothing to do with any truly objective assessment.
Do your own research and make choices based on the characteristics of a vehicle that you value.

In a similar vein, I would never "buy a Jeep". That is a fabulously successful advertising campaign, but unfortunately it is for one of the worst quality vehicles on the market.

Like I say - do your own research and don't rely on others.
AnswerID: 606976

Reply By: Paul E6 - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 23:53

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 23:53
Actually, I didn't say I regarded his views as valid.
OP more a comment about his judgment criteria.
Take his view of the top 3 utes.
Ranger, bt50, Colorado. He say none are a bad choice, but according to user reviews of owners, one of them is less a good choice than some he doesn't included in his top 3.
He believes we should only buy a car than is best on paper, or you are a stupid idiot, him using less polite language.
Well, I've had a car that is great on paper objectively, and it turned to be a flipping expensive nightmare in real life.
I think owner reviews are a better tool than some guy driving a brand new vehicle for a few hours.
As for the man personally, I reckon his vitriol is getting worse.
Might be borderline anger / psychosis issue there, seriously. Seems to be taking a bigger role in his clips than in the past.
AnswerID: 606979

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:11

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:11
Focus groups and market research have probably suggested he's getting a better response if he does that. It's the world we live in.......unfortunately.
FollowupID: 876668

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 02:56

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 02:56
Michael,
To me, he is only saying what every other reviewer writes, maybe a little bit more colourful.

It's all about what's on the data sheet.

He has a very droning voice, and I never have any trouble hearing him.

Cheers
FollowupID: 876728

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:22

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:22
He also doesn't deliver on what he promises ,

Just over 12 months ago , we decided to buy a Mazda CX3 , thought ok I will give him a go , filled out the online form , got a email back fairly quickly saying someone would contact me in a couple of days , never heard from him again ,

We went and bought the CX3 , thought I would send him a email , thanking him for nothing , I would like to post the email reply I got but it would be blocked , instead of a sorry mate we dropped the ball , he went into one of his rants .

He also seems to have a obsession with Kim Kardashian's rear end .
AnswerID: 606985

Reply By: Paul E6 - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 15:28

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 15:28
I used to watch a fair few of his vids for a laugh, and I applaud his bashing of VW, but I'm getting ear fatigue now.
I just think his "objective criteria" idea is flawed in real life long term experience,but might be good if you change vehicles every six months.
AnswerID: 606991

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 16:02

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 16:02
Aren't opinions like a--holes, where everybody has one? We can't agree with them all!

AnswerID: 606992

Sponsored Links