Merry Christmas to Everyone .New Oil!

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 13:10
ThreadID: 133994 Views:3944 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I recently posted a Question about a Oil brand I looked into . I am no expert , my background is farming and exploration. The mechanic I bought the oil from has told me to change the filter around 5oookm and change the oil twice a year using K&N filters as they are a 60,000 micron filter opposed to ryco at 14,000.MY Troopy has done 190,000km and is in excellent condition, straight away I notice my engine runs smoother and quieter also i swear it has slightly more power, my fuel consumption is slightly better that is a fact.I did a trip and used 170 lts for 1600kms.I do drive like Grandad and sit around 95-100kmh.I am not sure if I paid the normal price so I will contact him after chrissy and check the price, that is why I haven,t written it , it was very reasonable . I am posting this up as I believe it is a great product but He does spin a salesman line about filters and oil that was bulldust, He spends 6 months a year in the USA and it shows in his speel. No offence to any Yanks out there.So next year I will put up the cost and let You decide. Cheers to All!!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 15:03

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 15:03
Any good oil should last around 10,000km if it has decent recognized properties.
Do K&N make their own oil filters? Didn't now that.
If the filter is any good at all, it should last at least one oil change period.

14000 micron is smaller than 60,000mircon so what you said is Frack to Bunt, isn't it? I think it is.
Ryco being the finer filter than the stated K&N
Never used a K&N filter.
A 60,000micron will let through bigger blowflies than a 14,000 item.

PS. 90 to 100 is a normal speed, can't see why it is grandad pace.
120kmh with a 3 ton van on should be ok for some.
AnswerID: 606970

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 16:53

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 16:53
Yes well a 5micron filter is a much finer one than a 10 micron one so think the guy is full of the brown stuff that wont filter too well..
As per here
https://inspiredliving.com/cuzn-water-filtration/micro-rating.htm
What is the brand of oil. Not much good saying what it does without that.
Twice a year . Hmmm what about kilometers covered is a better way. Some cars like mine would only do 8000 a year some would do that in a couple of months. The only real way to check if consumption is better is do the same trip twice in the same time in the same weather and similar road traffic conditions.
Once with the old oil and then with the new.
Is a bit like the placebo effect in drug trials Half get the good stuff and half get a sugar pill Amazing how many report improvement after taking the sugar pill.
Why because they want to believe it has helped them.
AnswerID: 606973

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 19:20

Sunday, Dec 25, 2016 at 19:20
Agreed, someone is definitely full of sh*t. Considering an average human hair is somewhere between 45 and 75 microns in diameter.

So a 60000 micron filter might just take a rock or two out of the engine oil passing through it. I doubt you would need to use microns to measure said rock either. A tape measure would be accurate enough.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 876663

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:52

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:52
Is 60,000 around 62mm? Probably can't get it in the filler oil hole.
FollowupID: 876669

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:32

Monday, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:32
There is so much utter BULL$#$@ going around about oils..... some of it very convincing.

Most mechanics ( like most tradesmen these days) are not all that clever or well informed, so they are as much prone to being suckered as anybody else. I have met several who believe in crackpot things. .... there are also those who simply want to make money by selling you something you probably don't need.

Pretty much any reputable diesel spec oil, is well and truly capable of running oil change intervals in the 100 000s of Km ...... In the right engine under correct managment ... they are pretty much all "High drain interval oils", it's part of the spec.

As I mentioned in other posts it is not the properties of the oil that determine oil change interval in diesels, it is the carbon load and the filtration system.

Some people have claimed that we should be changing the filters and not the oil .... that sort of holds water but only to a point.

There have also been various ultrafine filtration systems marketed at various times, but they have their issues too.

Here is why ..... the carbon particles in oil vary in size ranging from in the order of 1000 microns down to the order 0.25 microns. It's a very wide size range.

Human hair diameter is from about 30 to 100 microns.

Good quality oil filters typically capture about 70% of particles in the 8-10 micron range and and more of the larger particles. Cheaper filters capture less than 50% of the 8-10 micron range particles.

There are fancy aftermarket filters that claim to capture 95% of 8-10 micron particles and continue to filter efficiently down into the 5 micron range and below.

But that still leaves all the finer particles flowing straight thru the filter and remaining in the oil.

This is why, used diesel oil is like ink .... black and stains everything it touches.

We have to face facts that most of the small diesels, particularly the pre 05 non common rail diesels are dirty little engines that have large quantities of carbon passing the rings and ending up in the oil.

use of super fine aftermarket filtration WILL extend the drain period of whatever oil is used ..... but you will be changing the filters more often as they will clog far more rapidly

there is a trade off between having to change the filter too frequently and filter efficiency.

As I said .... pretty much any reputable diesel oil will last many times the oil change interval most of these small engines run, if it was not for the carbon issue.

It has been argued reasonably that using reputable diesel spec oil and quality after market filters, the drain interval on small pre05 diesels could be extended from 5000 to 10 000 Km by changing the filters only .... the detail of the argument varies.

Remember pretty much all of these diesels run better on fresh oil ... any fresh oil.

cheers
AnswerID: 606986

Sponsored Links