80 series base model rear doors

Submitted: Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1340 Views:1612 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. I own an 80 series base model cruiser with barn rear doors. These doors squeak constantly and on a long trip drive me and my family crazy. I've greased all the catches and applied CRC, Dry Glide, soap,candle wax and Mister Sheen to all the rubber components but to no avail. I've rehung the doors and adjusted the catches but still no success. Toyota claim there is no history of these cars doing this and so have no idea what the cause is. Is there anyone out there who can help?
Many thanks, Derek.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kimbo - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Derek
Have a look at this site and your answer will be here
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/barn_door_squeak.html
But I have put electrical tape on the top and bottom latch and this works fine also but does need replacing about every six mths but is much cheaper also
Regards
Kimbo
AnswerID: 4350

Reply By: Terry - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00
Derek

My answer is much the same as Kimbo. We also tried velcro in various positions with limited success . Seems to depend on how much dust/dirt there is accumulated on the door components. I think Toyota are taking the easy way out as it does seem to be a common complaint amongst 80 series owners.
AnswerID: 4379

Reply By: Ian - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
hi derek,,,,like the others i have had the same problem and asked the same question on here some time ago. one answer i got was to spray heaps of crc on the top catch inside the door and let it run down this seems to work well for a fair while,,also the insulation tape on the catches works too good luck ,,,,,ian
AnswerID: 4388

Reply By: larry - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
Derek I have had all the same problems with my 80 series and have still not found a complete answer . crc dose work but after a while on dusty roads the noise comes back dry soap dry lube sticks are all the same . once the lube dries out it leaves a black gunk on the painted surface that adds to the sqeak too . I have adjusted the catches tight , loose but still cant slove the problem long term.
AnswerID: 4468

Reply By: larry - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
Derek I have had all the same problems with my 80 series and have still not found a complete answer . crc dose work but after a while on dusty roads the noise comes back dry soap dry lube sticks are all the same . once the lube dries out it leaves a black gunk on the painted surface that adds to the sqeak too . I have adjusted the catches tight , loose but still cant slove the problem long term.
AnswerID: 4469

Reply By: Graeme - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Derek We used to suffer the same nightmare when we owned a std 80. Spraying Silicon Spray on the seals helped a little. I have heard though that the newer 80's had a redesigned latch and didn't seem to suffer from the problem. Ours was a 1991 model, we have a friend that had a 94? with no squeak. Good luck, Graeme.
AnswerID: 4530

Reply By: Derek - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00
Thankyou to all of you who replied. I'm going to try all of your tips. I'm also considering showing your responses to my Toyota dealer to prove the problem is not an isolated one. With Toyota's usual arrogance, I don't think I'll fair too well. Once again, thanks to you all.
AnswerID: 4538

Sponsored Links