suspension lift

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 20:28
ThreadID: 13400 Views:1456 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, this is my first visit & post to this forum...excellent site I must say, however this reason for my question is that Sept '03 I decided to get into the 4wd activities & bought an 01 Frontera V6 wagon...now I know its probably not the best thing around, but it suits my needs in size & has heaps of performance & generally is good on fuel.

However I have been on the beach quite a few times now, & I think it may need
a bit of a suspension lift. I have already replaced the dud shock absorbers with foam filled ones from Pedders & they have made an amazing difference to the way it rides & handles. About the lift, pedders told me they could raise it with replacement coils on the back to suit the shocks & then adjust the torsion bars at the front to get approx 35mm lift.

Being a novice in this area, I have sought other opinions...yes yoy can do it...to no you definately cant do it...to maybe's & I 'am not really sure.

So..can anyone here offer some advice for which I would be very grateful
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 20:45

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 20:45
sounds like there giving you NO BULL.
vehicles with independant front ends like your are usually only limited to about 30-40 mm lift on the torsion bars.there are kits available for some 4bys but there big big $$$$$$.
even with 35 mm lift in the front it will make a huge difference.
AnswerID: 61416

Follow Up By: chris_t - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 21:00

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 21:00
Thanks for the reply Mrs....I certainly hope its no bull, but I think if I could get 35mm I would be happy & for what I want, I wouldnt want to go much higher
FollowupID: 322872

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 21:04

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 21:04
should have got a nissan
Calmini 3 inch lift kits are sweet but pricey
AnswerID: 61419

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 13:30

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 13:30
they were about $3500 that bloke with the Rodeo was going on about wasnt it?
FollowupID: 322954

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 21:55
Can't offer any advice, but hope ya hang around for a while.

One day you may even join up, and when you do, ask for heaps of stickers, they are little round ones you put on the rear of your 4 x 4. I want some more...........

AnswerID: 61430

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 17:16

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 17:16
Each time you buy somthing from the shop the send you a new one, so start spending.
FollowupID: 323002

Reply By: Member - Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 22:00

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 22:00
Hi,

I own a 2000 Frontera V6 4 speed automatic and they are a great vehicle so don't make any apologies. You're out there having a go and that's the main thing. You have hit it right on the head however in that their stock suspension leaves the vehicle sitting a bit to low and that is their greatest limitation.

The Frontera has heaps of power but needs attention in the following areas to fix the clearance issue. One is new rear springs, shocks all round and new torsion bars at the front. I have been advised that new purpose rated torsion bars are better than winding up the existing ones as if you do this you will end up with a terribly rough ride especially when you use the car on the bitumen.

The other area that needs a change is to get rid of the standard fuel tank which sits like a big flat anchor in front of your rear axle. See if you can source an auxiliary tank supplier to fix this one. Once you have these modifications done, you will get most places.

Mine is still running standard suspension and the work I have just explained to you is what I will be doing shortly. Just have to save a few more dollars.

We have had ours in some rough stuff such as the inland tracks on Fraser island etc and with our tyre pressures lowered and judicious use of low range, we manage to get everywhere. I am sure we will do it a lot easier once I get the work done. It is just a matter of taking some time to see what can be done.

Don't rush yourself and at times there are just some places you can't get to.

Drop me a line if you want to chase up any more Frontera information.
AnswerID: 61432

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 13:32

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 13:32
Heres a few images and little info on it.
Have a look here at Wayne Peterkens Nice clean unit.. Not sure if he still has it or not.
AnswerID: 61496

Sponsored Links