Best Touring Tents?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 18:15
ThreadID: 134006 Views:10360 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm a new bloke on the forum, been towing a dirt roader caravan around behind my old troopy for the past 10 years and have decided that enough is enough.

I'm setting myself up with a tough off road gear carrier trailer and looking for feedback on what is good and not so good in touring tents. I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to erect after a hard days slog, weight is not a big issue, so thinking canvas instead of polyester and something with plenty of room for 2 people to sleep in comfort.

I am thinking maybe a Campmor Weekender dome tent and would appreciate any info from anybody who knows much about them. I can only find reviews from those who sell them.

Dusty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 21:15

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 21:15
Hi ya Dusty.
Those tents are South African hey ?
Haven't seen them before, but I'm over dome type tents pretty much anyway.

I reckon what you asked for is the best type of quick, fast, bombproof tent.
A Tourer.

These are examples, the simple ones are fastest, single pole, or better with the side pole kit for clear floor, and some with extra frame setup up on the rear for extra room.

Oztrail Tourer 9

Oztrail Tourer 9 Plus

Another brand extended tourer

Side pole kit

Anyway, happy camping mate.
AnswerID: 607037

Follow Up By: Dusty D - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 21:32

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 21:32
Thanks for the reply Les.

You're right, the Campmor tents are South African and made from Aussie canvas. They are not cheap, around the same price as Oztents, but supposed to be the toughest on the market.

I've looked at the Oztrail tourer and they are definitely value for money, not sure about the durability though.Black Wolf tents seem to get some good reviews and also a few bad ones as well.

I will keep looking - not in a hurry.

Dusty

FollowupID: 876718

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 22:26

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 22:26
Another consideration is their packed up size. The Oztent and Blackwolf are both very bulky to store
The centre pole type like Les suggested are a better tent to stow.

I like to carry a "fair weather" tent that is simple to use and light and then a heavier one you can pull out if you know you are going to cop a bit of weather
FollowupID: 876720

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 23:01

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 23:01
We bought an Oztent RV3 to use on our remote trips, mainly because we can hook the awning part up to the side of our canopy, for more shade/weather protection.

It works well, as we experienced rain and a mini sandstorm during a Simpson trip in June. However, for 2 stretchers, we found we'll need to upgrade to an RV4, that is slightly deeper.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607041

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 00:58

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 00:58
Another vote for the OzTent. We have the RV4 and best ever tent we have owned.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876727

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 08:17

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 08:17
Yep .. Oztent for me as well. Took ours around Oz .. no trouble at all.
Love it !!
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 876730

Follow Up By: Dusty D - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 08:22

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 08:22
That's a good looking setup you've got there Bob. I've thought seriously about the Oztent RV4 or RV5 for some time, but I've read that they can be a mongrel to set up in windy conditions and a lot of places we visit in our travels are extremely windy at times - South Oz for instance.
Thanks for your feedback and thanks Stephen & Jack.
FollowupID: 876731

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 14:19

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 14:19
Dustys comment in his OP "I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to erect after a hard days slog" said to me fast, easy, driving daily most of the time.

I'd love an Oztent for base camps of 2 days, 3 days, a week, with the walls / rooms extra you can get, they'd be hard to beat if the bulkiness / weight of all that isn't a big issue.
This also takes time to set up, a lot of it, if the basic bare bones Oztent isn't enough for the night (bad weather) . . . the basic setup is fast.

That's why the typical tourer style tent is so good, 4 heavy pegs, one centre pole, roll up the door and you're there.
If you want clear floor, side pole kits adds a few more minutes.
If the weather is poor, put the awning poles out.

One reason I put that link up for the CampEzi Kalgoorlie 350 Plus Touring Tent from Tentworld, is those big gusseted sections on the awning, great for bad weather protection.

I have a brilliant dome tent, the Outdoor Connection Escape 6 which is great for base camping, but wouldn't consider setting it up for less than 3 days (which is a very rare event for me).
AnswerID: 607057

Follow Up By: Dusty D - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 21:23

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 21:23
Yeah, you got it one there Les.

Generally, our travel is mostly into remote area fishing spots up the Cape or across to the west and it usually means long hours behind the wheel, arriving at locations just on sunset and completely knackered.

On past trips, we have just rolled the swag out and crashed for the night, which has never worried me, but the wife has flexed the muscles and insisted that we get a tent - who am I to argue.

There is certainly a lot to consider in selecting the right tent, more than I would have thought.
FollowupID: 876755

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 08:26

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 08:26
Another vote for the four pegs and a centre pole. We bought a Southern Cross version some 20 years ago and it is still going strong today and has been rock solid in all weather conditions.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 876953

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 14:21

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 14:21
Big tick for the Black Wolf; with our travelling compansions we used three across the Simpson and will do the same down the Canning in a few months time. Never had a problem, very easy to erect and put away, and in my view better for storage than the OzTent. Range of sizes suitable for couples up to families. Can't fault the quality.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607058

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 14:55

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 14:55
Hi
Also have a Black Wolf, a turbo 240. I bought it rather than a oztent only because at the time the oztent would not fit in the car I had then.
Used to have a travelling companion but now travelling solo. Set up is easy though pack up can be
tricky (there are times when a third hand would be useful).
But getting better with practice. Must get some more practice soon.
Have to say though that if I am moving every day and the weather is ok the swag on a stretcher under the awning is my preference.
Cheers
FollowupID: 876743

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 00:51

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 00:51
Another Black Wolf turbo 240 plus here. Love it, easy and quick to put up. Lots of room to stand inside.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 876808

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 20:09

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 20:09
The Australian Canvas Co, Bayswater, Vic - is not so well known as those above, but they make brilliant tents. Our touring tent was used extensively, was as good as new after over a decade of use. Packed away into an envelope type bag. Tropical weight canvas, heavy duty floor. 6 side poles - all the same, plus 2 the same for verandah. 3 poles that went across the roof - all the same. So easy to put up it could be done in the dark. No curved zips to break - only straight ones. No tapes to wick moisture inside. They set out to eliminate the faults they were asked to repair on other maker's tents. Was not cheap - but was worth the money.
AnswerID: 607068

Reply By: sastra - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 10:58

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 10:58
Hi Dusty, we have owned a Freedom Family touring tent since 1997 and found it very strong ,easy to erect, waterproof and able to withstand strong winds.Heavy duty zips and fine midge mesh.
Very simple setup and make-up. One central pole and three part frame at rear. Four pegs for base you're done.
This model was great four two adults and two kids. Quality all the way but not cheap!

Other models shown on website.

http://www.freedomcamping.com.au/touring.html
AnswerID: 607108

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 23:16

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 23:16
2nd the Freedom. They were the original 'Bus tent' makers & resposible for many of the touring tent innovations over the past 35 years. I have one of the 1st family tourers made in 1985 & is still waterproof. Literally a tent for life.
Plenty of copies around but you asked for the best.
FollowupID: 876805

Follow Up By: Dusty D - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 12:14

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 12:14
They are good looking tents alright. As you say Sastra, not cheap but I don't mind paying the money if I get the quality. The Northern Tourer is definitely going on the short list.

Thanks for the followup Crackles, the more feedback I get the easier it will be to make a decision. One of the problems of living in the backblocks of central Qld is that there is nowhere that I can go to view the better quality tents, so have to rely on the recommendations of people like yourself. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 876839

Reply By: Dusty D - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 08:04

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 08:04
Many thanks to those who provided info.

I have decided to go with the Black Wolf Turbo 240 currently being advertised at a reasonable price by a major camping goods outlet. It ticks most of the boxes for me and given the right care, should be good for years.

Dusty
AnswerID: 607180

Sponsored Links