Steve
AnswerID: 607134

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:22

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:22
Try running it under water
AnswerID: 607135

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:23

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:23
Just run it in a busy campground somewhere past say 2100hrs.
Somebody will be by with some sugar for the tank.

Seriously, not much you can do, these things need ventilation.
Maybe running by it out a long way from your setup using a long extension lead, behind shrubbery / dirt mound etc, but same issues with annoying nearby campers.
AnswerID: 607136

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:28

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:28
Hi

I've got one, but use it rarely. It is actually not that loud but it is small....anyway ... Can't provide any engineering solutions but suggest using a very long extension lead and point exhaust away from your camp (but not in the direction of others of course).

I have also in the past dug a bit of hole to put it in and added a bund around it. Easy in sand ...not so easy in other places.

Happy New Year

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 607137

Reply By: Outback Epicurean - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 19:53

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 19:53
Get a solar panel. Been camping for 15 years with fridges, lights etc and never needed a generator so unless medical condition don't see the need.
AnswerID: 607138

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:28

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:28
Depending on your power requirements, generators may be an anti-social necessity.

If solar is not enough, do yourself and your fellow campers a favour. Ditch it and get a quiet four stroke like a Honda.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607139

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:37

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:37
We had a noisy, hard working Honda genset nearly 40 years ago, and the easiest way to quieten it was to block the sound. I used an old tongue 'n groove door.

One of the early posters on this site made an enclosed plywood case to house his Honda eu10, or eu20. 2 x 240v computer fans, driven by the genie, provided the cooling, and exhaust exited by a hole at the other end. Also had some internal sound proofing. But it wouldn't be worth it for a 2 stroke, I'd suggest.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 607140

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:40

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 21:40
You have to add a suitable muffler to the exhaust AND the intake tract as well. Both in and out make waves.

Have you tried running it in a stacked ring of tyres in addition to the above measures. Unfortunately after all is done to quieten it, all the gear will be much larger than a quiet 4 stroke.
AnswerID: 607141

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 22:51

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 22:51
Turn the fuel tap off and kill the bloody ignition. Mongrel things they are.

Have never needed the power from a generator. There are solutions such as solar/batteries to run the important things at camp.

That doesn't include air conditioners, hair dryers, or espresso machines.
If you need those sort of "necessities of life" take a powered site at a caravan park.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 607142

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 12:13

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 12:13
Hi Bill

Most of us have the "necessities of life" at home whatever they might be.
For many, the traditional home has been replaced by a caravan or motorhome and the "road" is their home.

So I guess having the "necessities of life" with them is reasonable and shouldn't necessitate them being relegated to a powered site in a caravan park because of it, surely?

On generators, I have one and no-one has ever complained about it, and for good reason.

For one, it is a four-stroke Honda and it is very quiet, and secondly I don't run it around other people, but have it as a back-up power source for remote travel which usually means not another person in co-eee of where I am...

Just saying...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 876838

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 12:56

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 12:56
Hi to you Baz!

My attitude has been moulded by experience.
Some people just don't realize (or even care) how they may be impacting others.

On one particular camping trip, we found a great spot on the banks of the River Murray. Just me, my spouse, our dog and a tinny. Great!
Set up camp and were chilling out when along came a family with their caravan and set up close to us. OK I thought, they have right to do that. Had a yarn with the "oldish couple" who were quite pleasant and friendly.
That is until the sun went down and the bloke fired up his generator to run a couple of floodlights and power the TV (and god knows what else) for the grandies. I attempted to reason with the guy but he insisted on running the gennie until 11pm. We were not happy.
The buggers must have sensed our inner hostility towards them and buggered off mid morning.

I know the inverter type gennies are much quieter, but we and our touring friends have set up our camping styles without the necessities of high power needs.
We would hate to think that we may be disturbing other floks solitude with noise such as generators, or loud music, etc.

We tend to mix bush camping with an occasional stay in a powered site at a caravan park, where we may do outrageous things like employing a 240v toaster and kettle. That is luxury to us, but we also like the expected peace and quietness of bush camping as much as possible. Solitude is not always possible when touring, but expecting an aimiable environment is within the means of anyone who considers and respects the comfort of others, be it from generators, floodlighting, or unreasonably loud music.

A very happy New Year to you and all forum members!
Bill

FollowupID: 876840

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 13:43

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 13:43
Had to endure a pooh hole up Cape York who ran his genny for hours so as to make a loaf of bread for the kids.
They had all the 240v gear on board.
Idiots!
FollowupID: 876865

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 18:03

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 18:03
Hi Bill

I'm hearing you and there is nothing worse than what you describe.

Rest assured, camp within co'ee of me and Mrs Landy and it won't...in fact, whilst happy to catch up so I can buy you a beer, or make you a brew, we won't be anywhere near each other when it comes to camping - which is just the way we like it...(when we can manage it).

Cheers, Baz

And Malcolm, some run genies, some have screaming kids, in some cases, screaming adults, drunks (usually a precursor to screaming adults), and at times, more banging than a "dunny door in a cyclone" - the list is endless, but when travelling you might get it all. Hopefully not in the same 24 hours!

And isn't one of the good things about travelling this great country of ours, if you don't like your neighbours you can just pack up and move on...!

But to be sure, having 240v gear on board doesn't make someone an idiot, or "pooh hole" in my book, just different to what we might like to experience.

And for clarity, we have 240W of solar panels on the vehicle and travel with another 115W solar blanket, so the genie doesn't see the light of day much, but there have been occasions when it has proved invaluable as a back-up and used only to re-charge batteries.

Cheers, Baz

FollowupID: 876873

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 19:21

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 19:21
You are right there Baz,

More and more parks and campgrounds are now separating those with generators from others and that is a very good thing for us folk annoyed by such unnecessary noise.

Bill

FollowupID: 876878

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 20:28

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 20:28
Where, in the original post did he mention camping?
He simply asked if it was possible to quieten a 2 stroke generator!
I wonder how many of the anti generator brigade have barking dogs, kids on mini- bikes, play loud music or idle their vehicle early in the morning to have a hot shower?

FollowupID: 876879

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 22:01

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 22:01
If he's not thinking of camping I'm struggling to think why he is asking a forum of campers, caravanners and travellers for a solution.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876883

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 08:37
Maybe because they use generators, or for the same reason someone asked about Mig welders!

FollowupID: 876891

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 11:13
Shaker, if people who ask questions on forums provide little contextual information its not unreasonable that those attempting to answer the questions make a few assumptions. Its pretty obvious that the solution to the OP's problem would vary depending on whether he was travelling (and how) or using the gennie in a stationary set-up.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876896

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 16:23

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 16:23
It just annoys me that they get on their high horse about their solar set ups. Solar won't get you started if you are all packed up & go to back your vehicle up to the trailer & find somebody has left something on, & battery is as flat as a poo carter's hat!
This happened to me years ago, & a little noisy 2 stroke generator had me going in the time it took to have a cup of tea.
I have a quiet Honda now, rarely use it, but wouldn't go without it.
Some people enjoy camping, but just can't afford fancy solar set ups or expensive generators, at least he was asking f he could make it quieter.

FollowupID: 876905

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 20:51

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 20:51
Gee Shaker,

I thing you have lost the plot with your analogies.
Why would one carry a genny and fuel around just to charge batteries?

My smallish portable solar panel array is used effectively to maintain a charge to the van battery bank when "free camping". (Cost, less than $300)
Otherwise both van and vehicle batteries are maintained by the vehicle alternator while traveling.
Oh, and in the rare event the starter battery might fail, a quick jump start from my portable thumper battery pack is all it takes.
This is very unlikely as the ignition switch on my rig isolates the starter from everything that could drain it.

It just gets down to personal choice, but I am well content with my choice of battery power over a generator. An inverter can be employed to run small 240v items if required
Effective, efficient and very very quiet sp that I am not impacting on the peace of others.

Cheers!
Bill

FollowupID: 876912

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 08:23

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 08:23
Bill, in the summer I camp in the shade, is that ok with you!
The generator would have been no bigger than your Thumper battery pack & the fuel is also for the chain saw.
FollowupID: 876920

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 09:22

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 09:22
Whilst I have a solar set-up in the vehicle and the TVAN, and carry a solar blanket for additional input when needed, I like to have a redundancy system to ensure I have the power I require, when I need it.

The generator has proved a worthwhile addition to my “kit” especially when experiencing weather that reduces the ability of the solar system to re-charge the batteries satisfactorily or if I am camped in the shade for a few days...

Now an alternative to having a generator as a back-up is to have a larger “bank” of batteries, and that might give one more time between charging – but ultimately they will need to be charged at some point of time. The other consideration is weight and storage, but with a standard type 100A battery weighing in between 25-30kg the weight of a couple of these starts to add up.

My 1KVA Honda weighs in at 13kg and based on dimensions would have a footprint not much larger than a couple of standard batteries. The 150A battery in our vehicle weighs in at 50kg…

I don’t run any appliance directly from the generator, on the occasions it is used, but simply elect to re-charge the batteries, which it will usually do at 15A per hour based on the charging systems I have in the vehicle and the TVAN. On this basis a couple of hours running the generator daily, when required, provides adequate top-up until the solar provides the necessary input.

So count me as someone who carries a generator to re-charge batteries.

But there are perhaps others who run medical devices requiring a consistent power source, and good on those people for not allowing a medical disability limit their ability to explore this great country of ours…

To be sure though, I’m neither trying to convince anybody one way or the other when it comes to generators or to be antagonistic to others with a differing view – it is a personal choice. But it is important that both sides of the "divide" are understood...

I have found tolerance is the key to a successful and pleasant camping trip and have moved on the rare occasion I have found my camping neighbours not to my liking - less energy and angst than beating my chest and insisting that other campers conform to my standard…after all, who am I to be the arbiter on other people's behaviours or habits?

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 876923

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 11:33

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 11:33
Baz . . . "an alternative to having a generator as a back-up is to have a larger “bank” of batteries, and that might give one more time between charging – but ultimately they will need to be charged at some point of time. The other consideration is weight and storage"

Lithium are really coming into their own here, soon they will be much more viable cost wise, and with ones you can fit into spaces under seats, cavities in tub drawer systems etc, having a few would give good flexibility in those situations.

I am sure when my 100amp/hr AGM goes, there will be a lithium (or two) going in to fill those duties.
FollowupID: 876926

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 14:13

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 14:13
Hi Les

Without doubt, Lithium are an option in terms of usable power and weight compared to standard batteries, but they don't have the ability to generate any power, only store it. So whilst they are potentially more efficient they still need to be charged at some point.

Trust all is well for you...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 876930

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 14:18

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 14:18
Thanks Baz, all good here, hope same for you :)

For sure, you gotta charge em :)

Another good thing about lithium ?
They have a much great amount of amp hrs they hold that can be used.
I think DOD (depth of discharge) for AGM is about 50%, while lithium is around 80%.

My AGM charges in no time daily driving, a matter of a couple of hours, I usually drive / tour daily, so this suits me fine.
Still have 100w and 150w briefcase type folding solar blankets I can use if camping more than say 2 days, which I can manage fine on the 100 amp/hr I run.
FollowupID: 876931

Reply By: Iza B - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 07:37

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 07:37
Exhaust into a large bucket of water????? My 2 stroke outboard is very noisy in the open air but much, much quieter when the exhaust discharges under water.

When you say, Little, I once had a Kowasaki 300 Watt jobbie that gave off not more than a low hum. Could not hear that generator over the sound of the TV. Maybe you could get some ideas by looking at the muffler setup on the already quiet ones out there.

Iza
AnswerID: 607148

Reply By: Genny - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 09:52

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 09:52
It's not just the exhaust that makes noise. The motor itself rattles and whirs. All the modern quiet gennies have sound deadening insulation around the motor, as well as decent mufflers. You'd need to think along similar lines, which introduces bulk, over heating, poor quality air, poor running efficiency etc etc. Far simpler to save your bucks and buy something that's already engineered correctly.
AnswerID: 607152

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 10:18

Sunday, Jan 01, 2017 at 10:18
Back when I played soldiers we were given the job of building a sand bag wall around the 5kVA generators, it cut the noise quite a bit.
Easy to do when you have enough bodies to throw at it, not so easy for one bloke though.

You could make a flat pack box from some sort of sound adsorbing material like foam with a hard layer glued. Aluminium skinned or some other type of foam core material would do the job, just have large baffles at the ends to keep the noise in, but allow the air to flow. (something like this stuff.

The packs of clip together foam floor tiles would do for a trial to see if it is worth pursuing.

Here are some ideas that might work for you.
AnswerID: 607153

Reply By: ian.g - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 09:51

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 09:51
You could try running the 2 stroke without oil in the fuel mix, will be a bit noisy at the start but you will find that it will quieten down and stay quiet (LOL Intended). You will then be able to claim insurance and buy a nice quiet Honda or Yamaha.
AnswerID: 607215

Reply By: Billion Star Camper - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 20:31

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 20:31
I used to run a 1000 Honda for my CPAP machine (for running a air pump to keep my air passage open). It caused a few problems. I have had people move when I tell them as soon as they start unpacking. In some parks I have had to seek permission. I now have a 46 amp our battery that is leek proof, in a dust proof box with a number of plug outlets and an amp gauge. Charge it by Anderson plug when travel-ling. It has come in handy when we do tent only trips. We can both plug in a LED light for reading in the tent, or use it for any portable power as well as my medical reason.
I am now the anti generator guy! How times change. I had to find a solution to generators and was happy with the result.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

AnswerID: 607228

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 14:32

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 14:32
Great that you have found an alternative solution, although, you did have one previously that worked for you, it just seems others demanded that you find a solution to their problem of intolerance.

If others showed your level of tolerance you wouldn't have needed an alternate solution...

Now, just need to sort out all those other campsite and overnight rest stop noises…!

Today a generator, tomorrow a barking dog, not to mention the poo you stood in, and those Swedish backpackers may well be easy on the eye, but hell, the decibels their party noise creates after quiet time is off the scale and relegates the noise from a muffled generator to the back of the noise que!

And what about those noisey refrigerated trucks that pull into the truck stop overcrowded with vans and RVs for their mandatory rest in the middle of night...

Geez, talk about inconsiderate, don't they realise George and Mildred in the Millard claimed their prized site bang-in-the middle of the lot at midday, had a few wines until bed-time,before George was back out for a few more whines with Bluey just as he's about to climb into the bunk of his B-Double for a bit of well-earned kip!

LOL and all intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but your comment did get me thinking about tolerance, or lack of it, in camp grounds and other overnight places of rest!

Seemingly, not all the "whining noise" come from generators.

If only we could walk in another's shoes for 5-minutes each day!

Just musing...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 876959

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 13:12

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 13:12
Extend the exhaust pipe so that it sits into a hole in the sand / dirt at least 30cm deep and round, you'l be surprised how 'muffled' the sound becomes, as an adduct to all the anti generator mob who seem to be 'holier than thou' please explain how and why at places on the Gibb river rd if you want peace and quite after dark it is better to camp in the 'Generators allowed' sites rather than " No Generators" full of drunks and idling V8 motors charging batteries…….
AnswerID: 607245

Reply By: Paul E6 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 08:43

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 08:43
I have a tiny 4 stroke that only weighs 8kg. It's just enough to power fridge, lights and charge the D.C. if necessary. This is just enough for a few hours of power if free camping a night or two between caravan parks.
I think the dynamo makes more noise than the exhaust, however.
I wouldn't use it a round others after about 7.00pm. With long cord, it can barely be heard.
Gen noise from others is ok with me during daylight hours. What really gets me going is music and intermittent loud laughter from Wined-up grey nomads at bedtime. You know who you are- silence enough to drop off for a minute, then some cackling geezer who has too much self-medication.
The wife gets p'd off very quickly when this happens
AnswerID: 607306

Sponsored Links