are there any decent DIY remote electric garage door (tilt) kits available??

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 22:24
ThreadID: 13407 Views:8120 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
any info regarding this would be welcome. cost? security? (do you need to bother with keys?) overhead clearance?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:14

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:14
You can buy garage doors, and the fitment kits from most sellers/suppliers... Just ask for it delivered and not installed.

Keys work, but keys break sometimes.
AnswerID: 61452

Reply By: grutnip - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:17
Depending on how handy you are, you may be able to turn your existing one into a remote.

www.oatleyelectronics.com

have some cool coded uhf remote control systems which you can wire to do almost anything - $42 !

As for the mechanical actuation, it will have to be something like a looped chain or wire rope - something that will pull the top in to open and push it back to close.

DJ
AnswerID: 61454

Reply By: Rowler - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:27

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:27
Uh! Keith you do know that this is a camping & 4wd site don't you.
However I am a garage door installer by chance.
You will be able to source a door operator from any of the large door manufacturers. B&D, Gliderol etc. Your door needs to be in pretty good working order as the motors are not there to overcome a heavy door ... just to control the opening, closing & locking.
DIY is a bit of a tricky one... I would suggest that you head down to your local outlet ( door factory ) at about 7am & talk to the installers direct, they are all independant contractors & will do the same product for a better price than the company in most cases. Tilt doors are a bit of a specialty (not mine) I suggest that you get it installed, this will give you support & warranty. The big companies have reps that will come & have a look if you are in a city ..
As to price! ? should be less than $500 installed.

Cheers rowler (dave) Adelaide
PS. when you say tilt do you mean that the door is one solid piece or do you mean sectional.... 4 to 6 panels?
AnswerID: 61457

Follow Up By: Keith Scott - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:18

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:18
Rowler - thanks for the response. Fiendishly close inspection and degreaser has revealed it may be a 'Tiltador'(?) and is apparently ready for 'tiltamatic'.
It is one piece and opens manually with the assistance of spring mounted leverage. If Tiltador does exist, should I just go down that path? I will check it out. As this is where I store much of my camping gear and vehicle, security is an issue. I can't see the point in getting an 'automatic' door if I then have to lock it manually with a key as well.
Thanks, Keith.
FollowupID: 322935

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:18

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:18
Are you talking just the electric door opener, or the whole kit and kaboodle???
AnswerID: 61462

Reply By: Member - Karl - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 15:15

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 15:15
I have the utlimate remote door openers - a wife and three kids. Works in all weather conditons, batteries don't go flat, no worries about the door not opening enough and hit the Cruiser etc and if they complain - just lock them outside for a couple of hours, that stops the complaining LOL.
AnswerID: 61505

Reply By: Rowler - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:41

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:41
Keith, it is a tilt door (one piece) any manufacturers operator will do the job, it will attach to the lintel above the centre of the door running back toward the centre of the garage & attach to the top of the door. The motor does the locking & the manual lock is not used, you can release the motor in case of power failure & lift by hand like before after fitment.

cheers rowler (dave)
AnswerID: 61521

Sponsored Links