Old Gunbarrell Highway

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 19:25
ThreadID: 134077 Views:3428 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone done the Old Gunbarrell from Warburton to Wiluna via Carnegie? Do you still need permits and what are road conditions like?

We are doing the Canning in April and just looking for options for way home.

Cheers Blaze
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 20:08

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 20:08
Hi Blaze,
Just at the moment filling out a permit application from Ngaanyatjarra council for a different track and in their literature they sent me they have the Old Gunbarrell highway, it states you need a permit and you need at least two vehicles and no more than five vehicles plus a few other conditions.
You can get the permit application on line from Ngaanyatjarra council Alice Springs. Phone no. is (08) 89501711, I found the girls there quite helpful.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 607366

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:53

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 22:53
Hi Blaze,
Last time we drove the Gunbarrell (a while ago now) there was no need for a permit from Warburton to Wiluna (may now have changed). When we drove the "Old Gunbarrell" which heads East from Jacky's Corner we did need a permit and had to meet the conditions as mentioned by Graham above.

Regards,
Mike.
FollowupID: 877072

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 07:39

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 07:39
Hi Mike

Permits have been in place for a very long time for travel through any roads in that area that are in Abotiginal Lands.

The Gunbarrel and the Old Gunbarrel are two different roads and many people think they are the same.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877077

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 09:55

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 09:55
Hi Blaze,
travelled the Gunbarrel from Warburton to Wiluna last year. Intention was Great Central Road to Tjukayirla, then up David Carnegie to the Gunbarrel, up Gary Highway to Talawana Track and into Rudall River NP. As previously mentioned, there are conditions for travelling to 'Old Gunbarrel' but these do not apply to the 'Gunbarrel'.
On reaching Tjukayirla we were advised that the David Carnegie was impassable due to the heavy rains. We proceeded on to Warburton for fuel and then backtracked to the Heather Highway to pick up the end of the Gunbarrel. When we found the turnoff to the Gary Highway we decided that it was impassable and proceeded along the Gunbarrel to Wiluna. The track was barely visible in places due to the amount of water laying great sheets. After some fairly challenging incidents, we made it to Wiluna. We were two vehicles, one diesel 105 Landcruiser and one 80 series petrol both towing camper trailers. I've travelled the Gunbarrel in the dry and found it to be quite an easy run. Speeds may average 20kph so allow enough time.
p.s. we made Rudall River eventually via Newman.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 607383

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:06

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:06
Here is the map for permits

Note that the section between Mt Samuel and Jackie Junction is closed.

If you head east of Warburton, note that the permit map shows that you should turn north of the Great Central Rd to continue up to Jackie Junction. This is wrong and pretty much a dead end. We could not get through that way and it looks like private property.

Continue 25km NE out of Warburton on the Great Central Rd to Mummine Well, then turn left ( North) this is a good dirt rd. It's marked as Private on Hema Maps but is right and well travelled.

AnswerID: 607386

Sponsored Links