Codan 3042 Antenna tuner

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 07:32
ThreadID: 134084 Views:5018 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
A bit techie and specific I know, but I'll throw it out there in case someone has done this.

Has anyone sucessfully used a Codan 3042 tuner and whip on their 4wd? I have a Codan 9323 ( 9360 actually) with a 9350 antenna. Previously I had the antenna on my rear wheel carrier but want to get away from that this time on my new 200 because it is a lot of weight and leverage up high on the wheel carrier on long corrugated tracks. I know I could use a 3040 tuner / whip but that would have to be up high too. I don't want to mount it on the front bullbar either.

The 3042 can be mounted separately to the whip, so I can mount the tuner down low and the whip up higher, but there can be issues with clearance around the wire from the tuner to the whip.

Sorry for the numbers and Jargon but if anyone has done this it won't be gobbley goop to them.

Also, has anyone solved the issue a different way?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 08:09

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 08:09
Hi Boobook

I have the 3040 mounted on the rear of the vehicle canopy and it works well. It is fixed half-way up the canopy and I don’t detect any degradation in performance.

On the “Old Landy” I had the 3040 mounted on the bulbar down low and attached the whip which had a diameter smaller than a UHF antenna, again, this worked quite well, and no issues from a mounting perspective in terms of legailities. The picture doesn’t show it too well, but it is mounted where a winch would normally go.

Whilst the 9350 has some weight to it and would create some leverage mounted at the rear, its footprint is small, and whilst weight does add up cumulatively when adding items, will it be so great to create a problem?

If the TVAN accompanies you on most trips is mounting the antenna on the TVAN an option and connect to the vehicle for input to the radio unit (just thinking?)

Good luck with it…Baz
AnswerID: 607417

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 08:20
I saw your 3040 mount, nice. I have a mount on the spare carrier, and with the spare as well as the 9350 it just seems like a lot of weight and leverage. Previously I had the 9350 on a specially made bracket on the jerry holders, it seemed more solid but blocked a tail / stop light ( even though the rear bar has another one).

With a new vehicle, and me not going away for a while i want to look at all options, then install the accessories, rather than the ad hoc way I did it last time. I have a focus on weight reduction, especially up high if possible

I did think of the TVan but want the vehicle to be self contained.

FollowupID: 877121

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 08:24
Hi Boobook

The 3040 on the rear has survived everything thrown at it, and is rock solid.

And I am with you on having the vehicle self-contained, understand that fully.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 877123

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:20

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:20
Might be a bit 'out of left field' to your query, but in my 200 series (no bullbar, no spare wheel carrier, no roof add-ons - weight saving for my van towing specs ) I installed my whole Barrett 950 and autotune setup inside the rear of the car. The drawback is no HF use while mobile (no issue at all for me). If I want to use the system early or late in the day, I can slide the autotune out on a rail and screw the whip on. Can send pics if you like....
AnswerID: 607427

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 13:47

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 13:47
Thanks Darian, I will think about that, though I usually use the HF when mobile. I also use it as a Ham Radio, and like to listen to skeds etc while to the move. Though something has to give.

I know the 3042 will work, subject to some practicalities so am chasing that line for the moment.
FollowupID: 877130

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 23:37

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 23:37
Ya not greatly blessed with a lot of choices
Looking at the detail might help.

Mounting the HF on the spare wheel carrier above the wheel mount will definitely add some leverage and stress.

You could reduce that leverage and stress mounting closer to the hinges.

A lot of the Amateur radio guys that persist with HF mobile mount on the towbar, with a tongue for the purpose .... change tongues when they want to tow something ... this does not help you.

but maybe a bracket off the towbar or chassis.

Ya probably dont want to do what the army do ....... bolt it thru the roof or the side of the panel work ........ BUT ..... taking out one of the rear windows and replace it with a panel and mount on that might be an option ...... the window could be refitted upon resale.

cheers
AnswerID: 607450

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 16:03
I get the impression the people who have responded so far dont realise what a 3042 tuner is or looks like - completely different to a 3040. I would be mounting it inside the car somewhere.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 607466

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 17:32

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 17:32
I had to look it up myself, but do understand it is different to a 3040.

Perhaps the other solution to the problem of weight and were to locate is to go a multi-tap, cheaper, easier to mount, some inconvenience...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 877164

Sponsored Links