Camping at Cape Elizabeth on York Pennisula

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:28
ThreadID: 134112 Views:5435 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been to Cape Elizabeth with is just south of Port Hughes. If so can someone tell me if you can camp there?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:04

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:04
Yes, Cape Eliz is a great spot, big old fishing shed (good shelter) just near the cape in the dunes, suitable tent sites nearby, some beach driving, and tracks down inland to places like The Gap camping area.
Loads of people weekends and hols etc.

Balgowan also accessible further down.
The Gap is a council run site, a few facs there like toilet, you should be able to google that and Yorke peninsula council and get that info, free camping just need to book a site.

Cape Eliz, be carful as it has been widely reported that some fool has been putting home made tyre spikes on tracks in there.
This has been ongoing for years off and on.
AnswerID: 607624

Follow Up By: kerbarb9 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:41

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:41
Thanks for the feed back Les.
FollowupID: 877310

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:30

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:30
Hi Kerbar

My Advice at the moment is to keep clear of the area. For a good number of months now, some arseholes have been placing spikes in the sand and people are ruining all 4 tyres on their vehicles. The spikes have been welded to plates that sit just below the surface, so not unless you walk in front of your vehicle with a metal detector, the damage will be done without you knowing about it.

Police can not find out who is doing it and even last year when there was an accident out there, the ambulance spiked its tyres as well.

There are other great places to camp over there, so be warned.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607634

Follow Up By: kerbarb9 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:39

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:39
Thanks Stephen, good to know.
FollowupID: 877309

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:19

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:19
That same thing happens here across the other side of the country around the Mt Jackson area where gold leases are.
One of our club members spiked tyres and took action against the lease holder but the whole process became so involved including trips to Kal for the court proceedings, he gave up.
The bloke that did it was well known in the area but knowing and having the time to pursue him wasn't possible.
AlanTH
FollowupID: 877343

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 14:13

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 14:13
Hi Alan

It is a real shame to think brainless people go to all the trouble if trying to stop people from entering an area. One of the lads at work has spent a lot of good time there on his bikes and four wheel drive, but does not risk it any more.

Police have not been able to pin point who is doing it and it did go quiet late last year for a while, but they are back there again now.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877354

Sponsored Links