Koolyanobbing to jaurdi station via helena and aurora ranges

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 20:52
ThreadID: 134135 Views:3169 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if this track still exists? If so has anyone travelled it in recent times.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: new boy - Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:31

Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:31
There,s an atricle in the current issue ofCaravan World on that area you might get some info or a contact
AnswerID: 607739

Reply By: Member - Lyncol - Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:37

Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:37
Thanks I'll look that up
AnswerID: 607740

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 19:27

Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 19:27
Hi Lyncol. Great questions about some great country.

I was last at H&A Range over the Anzac weekend last year and the tracks looked exactly the same as when we went the other way, two or three years earlier when we travelled north from Jaurdi up past Mt Finnerty and the Yendilberin Hills etc. It was a nice drive.

However you can't get through to the H&A Range from the east because the road is closed due to mining activity. We got unceremoniously kicked off what looked like a public fully formed gravel road near the Mt Dimer mine, which appeared completely mothballed. However there was a lot more activity last year than the previous times.

That said, you simply continue NE up the track from the H&A Range to Kurrajong Rockhole and then turn right onto the track down to Jaurdi.

At that point, you have a bit of a decision to make, because you can turn left and go to the Mt Manning Nature Reserve, which we didn't find terribly interesting and isn't unless you're avid botanists; or you can carry on straight ahead following the track NE to Currara Soak and ultimately Mulline & Menzies.

One thing to be cautious of though, is that the is NO FUEL out there! You need plenty of range if you are going to do much exploring and go out to the north, as there's no fuel between Southern Cross and Menzies, and the fuel in Menzies is a self-serve thing that is a bit haphazard. I got caught about 6 or 7 years ago out there and every time we've been out there since we've had to lend someone fuel to get to the next servo.

But it's great country to explore, and not all that far from Perth.
AnswerID: 607766

Reply By: Member - Lyncol - Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 23:22

Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 23:22
Thanks Paul . I was looking for another way to Laverton via bush on our way to Hanns track starting at Bishop Riley's Pulpit through to Pt Lillian, so we may go through Jaurdi stn.
Prado and camper set up well for remote travel.
AnswerID: 607775

Sponsored Links