Shelley Beach NSW - South Of Angourie

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 15:43
ThreadID: 134153 Views:3331 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Just wondering if anyone has camped at Shelley Beach Northern NSW just south of Angourie, I know you can hike there, but I was wondering if there are any tracks to drive there. I seen there is a camp ground on Google maps. Any info on bush tracks south of Angourie to Brooms Head would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Woody - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 19:12

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 19:12
We used to drive in and camp on top of the headland above the caves in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.
Sometime around the late 90's from memory it was closed off to vehicles completely and you will find bollards or big concrete blocks across all tracks from the Northern end at Angourie.

As you said you can still hike in but no vehicle access.

It has been about 15 years since I was down there and at that time you were still allowed vehicle access to the beach at the Southern end at Red Cliffs camping area. You were still able to drive across the creek at low tide and drive up the beach to the Shelley Headland and park at the base of the cliffs to walk around to the caves etc.
I have no idea if this is still allowed though.

We have heaps of great memories of camping there with our family and having the entire area to ourselves for weeks and barely see another soul.
We would spend our days surfing and fishing and nights sitting by the fire under the moonlight.

Thanks for the question as it has reignited the great memories.

Brett
AnswerID: 607820

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 20:46

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 20:46
WikiCamps gives it as a day use area only. 40 - 60 minutes from Angourie.

The national parks says no vehicle access.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 877544

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 22:18

Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 22:18
Yes you can camp at Shelley beach. You have to get there at low tide. Travel south from grafton or north from Coffs Harbour. Turn off to Yuragur national Park and travel to pebbly beach from the south. The entrance warns to watch the tides before crossing to the shelley beach camp area. A lot of camper magazines including Pat Cullinan's 4X4 and Camper trailer Magazine have done articles on camping a Shelley beach in the last few months.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607893

Follow Up By: Supersi - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 19:19

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 19:19
Hi Mark C, I was at the site you described last week. It's definitely sign posted by Nat Parks as Pebbly Beach - not Shelley beach.
FollowupID: 877684

Follow Up By: Pushy - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:10

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:10
Mark C, do you need a snorkel to cross the creek?
FollowupID: 877735

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)