Blog Review: Point Malcolm Lighthouse Drive

My Blog Rating: My Rating 4/5

Stephen
As I said in my Message, another great summary and resource for anyone wanting to travel to these areas.
I also mentioned to you that I thought I could remember that the port at Milang had some role in interstate trade to Victoria. After a bit of a search I eventually found this extract from Denisbin and I quote -
"Although much of the river boat trade died away in the 1920s some services continued, especially the local steamer service across Lake Alexandrina. Once the railway from Adelaide reached Milang in 1884 a service was started to connect with the trains to take passenger and freight across the lakes to Poltalloch station, Meningie and from there overland through the Coorong to the South East and Melbourne. The paddle steamer Dispatch plied this route from 1877 between Milang and Meningie. After 1884 other vessels were also used on this route. Trade declined considerably in Milang itself after 1878 when the SA railway reached Morgan. It then became the major river port, rather than Milang".
Cheers
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 22:01

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 22:01
Hi Andrew

Thanks for taking the time to read it and make your comments.

That piece of information that you have found is very interesting and the River Trade was sure the life blood of the area. We intended to go to Poltalloch Station, but unfortunately they were not doing tours when we passed by.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607861

Reply By: Member - Darren R4 - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 15:56

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 15:56
Hi Stephen, many moons ago when I was just of driving age, I used to drive a semi from Elizabeth through to Tailem Bend then cross on the ferry to cut out the hills on my return trip to Melbourne unladen. My memory is getting at bit slow, well, so would it have that been the same ferry back then. I remember it was a steep climb off the ferry to the main road. It would have been 40+ yrs ago. I remember it was scenic through the vineyards. Oh, some memories do come back. This comment is from Garry R being on my son inlaws computer
Darren Ruys
sarradarren@gmail.com
2014 Landcruiser 200 Altitude

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607904

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 20:38

Monday, Jan 23, 2017 at 20:38
Hi Garry

It is still a steep climb from the ferry up to the main highway at Tailrm Bend. It is a good easy drive on the other side of the River at Jervois and beyond.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877689

Sponsored Links