Anne Beadell Highway

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 17:32
ThreadID: 134185 Views:6323 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of tackling the Anne Beadell Highway on way back from WA in about Sept 2017. Sole vehicle, desert experienced 4WDrvr, off road camper trailer. Any advice pls (apart from go in pair)?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 17:54
We're doing the Anne Beadell in June, after coming down the Canning in May. There's some good info in the trek notes on this forum, and also a useful little booklet in the Outback Travellers Guide series (available from Exploroz).
We're travelling with two other vehicles, but have seen other trips mentioned on various forums where solo travellers have made the journey. Just need to make sure your communications gear is able to do the job in a crisis!!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607976

Follow Up By: Triton man - Thursday, Feb 02, 2017 at 18:23

Thursday, Feb 02, 2017 at 18:23
Hi there Wildmax, Are you going North to South on Canning or the other way round. How far are you going on the Anne Beadell. I am a solo traveller and of course fully independent. Don't want to push in, just stay in touch and nearby if that's O.K.

Triton man
FollowupID: 877979

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Feb 02, 2017 at 22:49

Thursday, Feb 02, 2017 at 22:49
We've got a group of three vehicles; couples we travel with all the time on remote tracks. We find three is ideal for us - good support network if something goes wrong. Have travelled with more in the past, but then you get into debates about timing, pace, preferred camp spots, side trips etc.
I reckon you'll encounter plenty of travellers even if you're solo - certainly on the Canning, but maybe less so on the AB.
We're doing the Canning North to South, then the full length of the Anne Beadell back to Coober Pedy.
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 877990

Follow Up By: Triton man - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 16:59

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 16:59
Hi Wildmax,

Exactly, I agree with all you said about group travel timings etc. and the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to be solo, I had pencilled in 20 days with 3 drive free days off en-route. Would hate to be rushed. Anyway, I am South to North and travelling by the GCR from ASP.

Really do hope to see you coming the other way, I will looking out for 3 bandits led by a white Hilux, from my blue Triton dual cab (no trailer). Thanks for your reply, your AB to Coober Pedy sounds a blast.

Triton man
FollowupID: 878048

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 22:44

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 22:44
Will keep a lookout for you Triton man - our group comprises two Hiluxes and a Prado, all 3 are white, and both Hiluxes with canopies - no trailers.
Our canopy has a couple of big Wildmax logos on the side.
Cheers
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878062

Follow Up By: Triton man - Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 09:12

Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 09:12
Hi Wildmax - cool, now looking for a Toyota convoy all dressed in white. Looking at an entry date of Friday 12th May at Well 3 and exiting from Wolfe Creek 31st May.
Pretty sure you wont spot many blue Tritons with canopy !!!!!!!!

Safe travels to you and your mates.

Triton man
FollowupID: 878070

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:07

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:07
Make sure your vehicle will be able to withstand the corrugations, a HF radio or sat phone etc.

You'll also get vehicles travelling the other direction so beware and keep the CB on the suggest channel. When we did a couple of years back there was plenty of water in the tanks along the way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607977

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:16

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:16
Forgot to add:

Great drive lots of wild flowers if your lucky.

We also bumped into a couple by themselves at nightly campsite now and then, they had no problems.

There was a few sections where the road had been washed away so if it has rained heavily since then it would only have gotten worse so take it easy as the road can suddenly turn into a gully.

If you visit the plane there's a visitors book, we missed that one its in the wing I think.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 877743

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:45
Hi Peter & Ann

The best piece of advice I could offer would be to say enjoy and make sure you give yourself plenty of time to soak up this great part of Australia’s Outback - the Anne Beadell is a great solo trip for well prepared travellers.

Of itself, the Anne Beadell Highway is not difficult, but it is the distance and remoteness that provides most of the challenges and that can be addressed in the planning stages. Water, fuel, communications and vehicle preparation would be key elements of that planning along with allowing time for the issue of the relevant permits.

From a vehicle perspective, ensure you drive to the conditions as it varies from sandy sections to areas that are heavily corrugated - slow down (I'm mean really slowdown) on the corrugations and that should help avoid any suspension issues! You will also find sections where the vegetation will provide some "pin-striping" of the vehicle and trailer, so you might want to consider some protection, if it is something that might bother you...

There is plenty of information on the trek notes here on EO and from numerous blogs.

We have towed our TVAN across it and back along the Great Central Road and Sandy Blight Tracks and wrote about the trip in our blog...

(Link) Western Deserts Anne Beadell and Sandy Blight Junction Tracks.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 607978

Follow Up By: Member - Peter & Ann - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 20:02
Baz,
Mny thks for yr reply. This gives me great heart. We have travelled the Great Central Road and Tanami Track so I understand your comments very well.
Your blog was very informative and yes we will take our time and enjoy the scenery. I agree, it is a wonderful part of our big country.
Peter
FollowupID: 877746

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 19:46

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 19:46
Be prepared for a couple of days of non stop corrugations.
AnswerID: 607980

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2017 at 08:24

Thursday, Jan 26, 2017 at 08:24
Hi Trouper

There are more than a couple of days of non stop corrugations.............lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877759

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 20:04

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 20:04
We drove from Nullarbor roadhouse to Cook and Vokes Hill Corner then west on the Anne Beadell on our own and towing a boat in 2006.
We had a sat phone and a PLB and took our time.
We found it an easy drive that we enjoyed immensely. We saw no other vehicle at all until we got to Yamarna at the western end.
Slide show here....
http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/06%201%20Nullarbor%20and%20Anne%20Beadel

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 607981

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 21:35
-
Hi Peter & Ann,

The Anne Beadell is not overly difficult in that it has no severe dunes etc but it does have corrugations especially at the eastern end so use reduced tyre pressures (75%) and reduced speed for comfort and to minimise stress on the vehicle.

You need to keep a close watch for washouts, both new and old. They can suddenly appear within short distance as you round a bend for example. They can be a large hole or a trench down the track.
Of course, as with all unsealed outback tracks, recent or immediate rain is a problem. Keep a check on the weather.
Also there are long distances between fuel availability so plan carefully.

There are plenty of convenient places to camp alongside the road.
Be aware that you require permits.

Although it is a principal track on the E-W route, the number of travellers is low and you may not encounter another party for many hours, even all day. So it is imperative to carry adequate communications equipment in case of serious emergency. This can be a satphone (with emergency numbers), a HF radio, and/or a registered PLB (Personal Location Beacon). A UHF radio is of little use in an emergency other than to contact a nearby vehicle who may or may not be of assistance. We travel alone most times and carry satphone and PLB.
Severe accidents may unexpectedly come in the form of health incident, injury, snakebite, or vehicle accident. Your life may depend on obtaining prompt assistance.

The Anne Beadell is a nice drive. Take it easy and enjoy it.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 607983

Follow Up By: Member - Peter & Ann - Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 13:14

Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 13:14
Allan,
Many thanks for your comments. We have a PLB and will def get a sat phone. We are really looking forward to this trip as it sounds fantastic. We have travelled the Tanami Track and Great Central Road and both of these were eye openers. Thoroughy enjoyable, esp the remote camping aspect.
Peter
FollowupID: 877809

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 13:44

Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 13:44
Which is the best sat phone changes every other day.
Go to https://www.exploroz.com/Customers/Sat_Phone_Sales.aspx they are an EO business member and having dealt with them they are highly recommended.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877810

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2017 at 08:21

Thursday, Jan 26, 2017 at 08:21
Hi Peter and Ann

We have done it many times, including solo.

Have a read at my blogs and just do as much research as you can, as there is far more to see out there than most people ever realise.

Allow at a bare minimum of 8 days, long will be even better. Make sure you take the small 10 kilometre one way detour to the actual Vokes Hill.

Depending on vehicle fuel consumption, allow a minimum of 900 kilometres of travel before being able to top up with fuel ( this will include the bigger detour to Len's 300 Mile Marker ) at Ilkurlka.

As I said, research, research, and more research and you will have one of the Best desert, remote trips you can experience.

Cheers and Happy Researching.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 607990

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Jan 27, 2017 at 23:22

Friday, Jan 27, 2017 at 23:22
Hi Stephen,

I though Len's 300 mile marker was north of Emu.

Chris

PS. Have not forgotten the Arnham Land info.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877798

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:02

Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:02
Hi Chris

Yes Len's 300 Miles marker is accessed from east of Emu, but was referring to the only fuel stop on the Anne Beadell at Ilkurlka.

No problems for the second lot of information and Ivan and Gwen say hi.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877800

Reply By: Member - Lyncol - Friday, Jan 27, 2017 at 16:45

Friday, Jan 27, 2017 at 16:45
We did this solo in August 2013 took us 11 days to do the 1400 kms from Coober Pedy to Laverton. 120 series Prado with a S.Aust built Adventure Camper ran (cold)18psi in the front 22 in the rear and 18 in the camper, on bfg A/T. Logged into vks on our hf radio every second night. Slow down and enjoy the bush camps, scenery and wildlife. We will be doing it again but the opposite way.
AnswerID: 608024

Follow Up By: Member - Peter & Ann - Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 13:58

Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 13:58
Lyncol,
Great to hear from another Adventure Camper owner. We also have one and will be taking it on this Anne Beadell trip. Thks for the sensible info on tyre pressures. That's a lot lower than I was thinking but it sounds like good advice. At least that will relieve the pressure of corrugations, sand and make for a more pleasant journey.
FollowupID: 877811

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Friday, Jan 27, 2017 at 18:17

Friday, Jan 27, 2017 at 18:17
G`day Peter & Ann,
I am sure it`s been said before but just a reminder.
If you have to stop on the road it is essential to have all four wheels on the top of the corrugations, if you have them in the bottom of the corrugation you may not be seen and someone could possibly run into you. :>)

Stay safe and enjoy,

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 608025

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:05

Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:05
Hi Scrubby

That's why you are advised to use a sand flag........lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877801

Follow Up By: Anthony G1 - Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:13

Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:13
A tall sand flag won't last 5 min on the eastern end of AB.
FollowupID: 877802

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:45

Saturday, Jan 28, 2017 at 08:45
Hi Anthony

It is meant as a joke as to the depth of the corrugations so when you are at the bottom of them, you can be seen.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877803

Reply By: Gary H9 - Monday, Jan 30, 2017 at 19:43

Monday, Jan 30, 2017 at 19:43
Did part ofthe AB in July 2016 solo. Travelled up from Cook to Vokes Hill Corner then turned right towards Coober Pedy. Took us 4 easy days in a stock Toyota Prado towing a Jimboomba Off Road Camper Trailer. Had a full tank when leaving Nullabor Roadhouse and took 60 additional litres but still had 1/3 tank when we arrived at Coober Pedy - extra fuel not needed but would still carry just in case. Had slight rain but track was in fair condition. Found going pretty easy and at no time was low range needed even pulling the trailer up the small dunes. Dropped tyre pressure to 28 psi all round and had no tyre problems.
AnswerID: 608092

Reply By: Member - Peter & Ann - Monday, Jan 30, 2017 at 20:26

Monday, Jan 30, 2017 at 20:26
Thks Gary, that's really good news & esp re camper trailer towing. Looking frwrd to trip.
AnswerID: 608093

Sponsored Links