Important Accessory List

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 15:10
ThreadID: 13419 Views:3065 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Well even though my nickname is still 'Cruza' I am now the owner of a shiny new 02 Dual Cab 3.0 D Hilux! It already has a x9 superwinch, bullbar and towbar, rust-proofing and tinted windows. I have got a list of accessories I want to put on the truck over time to improve its offroad capablities and also its 'fun' factor. I need to work out order I will save up and buy these items, ordered by their improtance. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated! Also, are there any real important things I have missed?

Heres the list...
Snorkel, Driving Lights, Canvas seat covers, roll bar, dual batteries, a/t or m/t tyres and alloy or steel rims, roof racks, tray liner, uhf radio and ariel.

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:08

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:08
Here's the order I would do it
uhf, tyres, driving lights, snorkel, seat covers, roof rack, liner, What about suspension lift you didn't mention that, if so do it first.
I can't tell what you missed as I don't know what recovery gear & such like you already have already.
AnswerID: 61511

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:33

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:33
Won't need a suspension lift in a brand new hilux, they are taller than mine and I don't have any dramas with clearance.
Snorkel before driving lights I wreckon, especially being diesel and the lights on the new Hilux would be pretty reasonable I would think, mine are pretty good and they are 10 years old!
I think Bob's right though, UHF first. Get the snorkel on, get the fresh dry air, then go the tryes, then everything else as you please IMHO.
AnswerID: 61520

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:21

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:21
go to the bank and do it all to your full satisfaction...wont need to worry about what to put on next!
AnswerID: 61531

Reply By: Member - KG (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:33

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 18:33
i would start with the tray liner - once you put ANYTHING in that tray it will start to scratch and surface rust will begin... if you just chuck a ute liner over the top of this you will have rust issues. (or you could spend a weekend cleaning it all up only to put a ute liner over the top of it)
all that said im currently selling my ute liner. they make it impossible to mount any tie down points without cutting a hole in the liner... the minute you cut a hole in the liner you let water and sand and all sorts of crud get between the liner and your tray and starts rubbing paint off and more rust issues. im selling my hard plastic drop in ute liner in favour of a paint on ute liner... much more options for tie downs, etc... i use my ute as a ute fairly often so tie downs are important for me... ymmv.

next would be the snorkel
then the tyres and rims
then the spotties
and after that it makes no difference really...

good luck with outfitting your pride and joy

cheers,

KG
AnswerID: 61533

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:26

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:26
KG,

I am a bit confused as to what you are meaning by 'ute liner' and 'tray liner'. Whats the difference? Or are you meaning the same thing? I was going to put a drop in tub liner. I won't be tying much down, and I am going to be filling up a fair chunk of the already not huge dual cab tray with a polished alloy tool box anyways.

If it was nessacary to put holes in the tub liner, couldn't I just fill around the hole with sillicone to stop things getting underneath? Or have you tried this?

Thanks for your feedback!
FollowupID: 323106

Follow Up By: Member - KG (QLD) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:58

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:58
sorry mate I started out using your terminology and then switched to my own terminology half way through :)

ute liner / tray liner is the same thing.... HOWEVER - there are drop in plastic ute liners and then there are paint on ute liners. having owned both, my preference is for the paint on because i like to have tie downs everywhere.....

in theory you could fill around the hole with silicon but i've never tried it... most ute liner manufacturers actually suggest you pull the liner out every 6 months and clean any crap out from under there... if you have a look at blueys ute world (i think it's www.blueys.com.au) they sell tape to go on your tray before you put the liner in - this would help some of the rubbing off paint that happened as a result of my drop in ute liner (fitted on vehicle for about 3 years)

mounting the tool box will be some fun for you... i woudl suggest you mount the toolbox AFTER fitting the ute liner. if you mount the toolbox by bolting it thru the tray you will have to drill from underneath to line up the holes with the new ute liner (if you install the ute liner, then the toolbox you'll drill thru both from the top in one hit)

my big reasons for ditching my drop in liner and going for a paint on liner were...
1 - the drop in liner had a corrugated base that doesnt follow the countours of the original tray... so if you try to mount anything from the top it squashes the ridges and deforms the liner
2 - can't put any tie downs in without cutting a hole in the liner and getting crud under the liner and turning the ute liner into a huge piece of sandpaper

things i miss since i took the ute liner out (and haven't got around to painting the paint on liner yet)....
1 - my tray has copped a hiding - couple of loads of sand, a few dump runs and it's scratched to buggery. only consolation is i have to sand it all back and clean it up before i paint the liner on anyway.
2 - the tray was much easier to clean out with the liner in it... park on a slope and hose the back out... without the liner water pools up in places and things actually stain the tray (oil, etc)

anyway... i've kind of turned your query into more of a discussion about ute liners. there's much more fun mods to talk about!

cheers,

KG
FollowupID: 323187

Reply By: lazylcd - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 00:22

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 00:22
fridge for the coldies and a good duel battrey system, not all that important, ( unless u like drinking warm beer ) :o),

Lazy
AnswerID: 61596

Reply By: jolls - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:53

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:53
Cruza,

I have exactly the same vehicle on order for when I return from the US in January. I have been advised that the best bet for the UHF is to remove the original radio and cd and replace it with an aftermarket one that fits a single DIN rack and put the TX 4400 beneath it. It has a forward facing speaker therefore there is no requirement for an external speaker to be fitted. Seems a waste to remove a brand new radio cd player, but it saves on space and from what was in my old hilux that is a good thing. I think I saw someone recently selling the sports bar off an SR5 because they put a canopy on. I assume this is pretty common so I would give ebay a try for a cheap brand new roll bar.

Let me know if the TX 4400 is viable or not and keep posting your mods as I'll be following down the same track as you in a few months. My other recommendation is to extend the diff (and gearbox/transfer case if they have them) breathers.

Cheers

Craig
AnswerID: 61623

Follow Up By: Cruza - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:18

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:18
Cheers Craig,

I will certainly keep you posted as I get quotes, put different bits and pieces on the Hilux and find out how well the things work!

i have the standard truck, and i think you are going to be getting a SR5? Mine comes standard with a radio/tape deck, but i will be putting an aftermarket CD player and UHF in it soon. I would say it has the same basic dash layout as a SR5 and mine does look as if it will fit a CD and UHF one on top of hte other.
FollowupID: 323105

Sponsored Links