The 4WD Wedding

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 04, 2017 at 16:12
ThreadID: 134244 Views:3508 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Re Axles "Is anything happening " post I think I have a subject that hasn't been explored fully.

Over the years we have attended several Bush theme 4wd weddings which have left some wonderful memories like one at Craigs hut before the political police arrived on the scene a decade ago.

I'd like to hear about special ones and the issues involved - because I can tell you we had a few real issues at our (Kids) one that couldn't be solved by locking the diffs and going for it.

So finally our turn had come and the kids recently got married at our 4wd bush property.
The choice of venue meant many guests could camp on site with tents or campers and avoid any 0.05 issues.
However it meant many who didn't even know dirt roads existed would have to be catered for !

As Exploroz is about the bush / 4wding / and exploring I will leave out the wedding photo's and say with on topic content.
(Apologies if this post seems a little disjointed)

2 days to go, and the big storm hit , rain flooded everything, helpers were abundant but no one was expecting mud and bogged cars.

Liberal use of snatch straps saw most vehicles recovered.

The huge marquee survived but with no drainage the 50mm of rain soaked the ground underneath.

We nearly lost the porta-loo truck as it skidded over the edge of a very wet track when the driver locked the brakes.

Tip for others doing weddings/event's in the bush - don't have long table cloths that touch the ground and act as a wick.

Wedding day - the Sun came out, and after a short discussion with the weather gods we agreed to except 24c , full sunshine and no wind.

Things were starting to look good and the ground was drying fast thanks to a last minute crushed rock overlay.

A local Koala even made an appearance to the delight of the crowd and 2 eagles actually flew to within 100ft of the food.
Unfortunately one of the guests hit and killed a Wombat - I had to remove it while half dressed for the wedding and it was amazing how heavy and tricky this was as you could not get a good grip of the poor things short hair.

Was interesting to see how over 100 guests tackled the narrow 10km bush drive up the hill to the event.

One had to be rescued just turning off the bitumem and 3 snatch rescues had to be done on those helping to setup.

Despite warnings , some drove to fast, throwings up sticks etc, others complained that their road cars bottomed out and some simply refused to drive off bitumem and had to be ferried.

The bride was ready but we had to wait for stragglers and then she then drove her self to the ceremony thru a beautiful canopy of green in a hired 4wd buggy.

We had erected some spare tents which worked out well , but not everybody woke up in there appointed place.

Another thing that was appreciated was that we got an extra portable toilet delivered and setup in the camping area.

One last tip - Elope !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2017 at 18:31

Saturday, Feb 04, 2017 at 18:31
Gday
Im glad all went well .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 608277

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 09:19

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 09:19
Thanks Muz - I gather you got some of the inside story at McDonalds the other day !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878041

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 14:00

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 14:00
Gday Robin
Yes i met the new "mother in law" the other day when out with the grand kids .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878046

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2017 at 21:38

Saturday, Feb 04, 2017 at 21:38
Hi Robin
Well that was pressure that you and Anne didn't need on the grand day. It will always be a good talking point as did your wedding plans go well and was it a great day. Mark will say yes, but he will have a story to tell about the issues before.
Give the newly our best wishes and now you can relax.
I like your last tip elope much easier LOL

Murray & Betty
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608281

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 09:41

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 09:41
Thanks Murray , I'm sure you can imagine the dramas behind the scene , I thought we had thought of everything but we hadn't thought of people simply not following written advice like "Not wearing high Heels " , but it came and went , and we won't be having another 2 day party in the bush for quite a while !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878042

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2017 at 22:42

Saturday, Feb 04, 2017 at 22:42
Hi Robin,
I don't know how you do it mate..... but you always seem to come up with that special unique story.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 608283

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 09:52

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 09:52
Thanks Murray , it could have read much better if hadn't cut out a lot of off topic stuff.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878044

Reply By: George_M - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 13:02

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 13:02
Well done, dad.

You're work here is done:-)

George
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608292

Sponsored Links