Kalumburu / McGowan Island camping

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 19:28
ThreadID: 134252 Views:2881 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know what's happening at McGowans campground now , as I'd like to go back this year but the manager left last september .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 19:34

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 19:34
Hi

No first hand experience - maybe try the phone number listed on their website.

Kalumburu Accommodation & Facilities

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 608302

Reply By: PhilD - Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 22:55

Sunday, Feb 05, 2017 at 22:55
I was there last August before he left, but sorry do not know if someone will open it this season. Probably a bit early for anyone to think about it! If it was me going back I would go self sufficient and give it a whirl. The first time I went to McGowans after Cyclone Ingrid the place was deserted and we just drove in and camped. Had to go to Kalumburu for water and fuel, but it was great camping only with a few others. There are some regulars who camp there for the whole season, so I expect that something will happen, it might just be rougher than it has been in recent years.
AnswerID: 608308

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 10:02

Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 10:02
We stayed at McGowans Island in 2005. It was not our scene, but it has been very different since, depending on who is running it.
Then in 2006, 2007, 2008 we stayed at Honeymoon Beach and enjoyed it a lot.
Leslie French has handed over to his grand kids now I think, so it will be different there too.
We also stayed at the Mission for a while and helped build the museum. That was an eye opener!
We are unlikely to go back to either and would certainly not return without our own boat.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 608324

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 11:32

Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 11:32
Hello George,
We planned to stay at Kalumburu many years ago but when we got there it was the time when the volunteers were being changed over.
No body could help us much with anything.
The shop was full to overflowing.
Whilst waiting to be served we heard that the shop had been robbed 5 times in the last month.
It was lunch time and we decided to fill up and go up to McGowans Island for a look& then come back.

Once we saw McGowans Island & met the lovely Family there, we stayed. There was no comparison to Kalumburru . They also sold fuel, as you'd know.
You were made very welcome and felt very safe.

Honeymoon Bay wasn't as nice , very very basic although good for self sufficient fisher people. The wind was very strong so we sat in the car to have lunch & have a look around the area & returned to McGowans.Island.

I think there was an issue with them selling fuel & maybe without the fuel sales they couldn't go on but I also heard that a cyclone had done a lot of damage there but wouldn't be 100% sure.

There is a person who I can ask, she may be able to help with more news.
Take care, safe travels Ma.
AnswerID: 608328

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 13:28

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 13:28
Hi George,
No reply from this person yet today Wed 8th./2/17.
She might be away.
I'll let you know if she does get in touch..
I hope all is O.K for you to go back again.

Take care,safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 878141

Reply By: PeteS - Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 13:21

Monday, Feb 06, 2017 at 13:21
Stayed at McGowan Island late May 2016. The caretaker openly stated he had enough and it was his last year. A week after we left there was a big commotion with the traditional owners coming in an turning the place upside down. Our friends were there at the time and said it was frightening.

We visited nearby Honeymoon Bay and the staff seemed very friendly, it might be an alternative for you.
AnswerID: 608334

Reply By: george50 - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:47

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:47
Thanks Pete/Ma&pa , I will wait until the end of the wet and try for more info, as when I left in August it was about to go belly up management wise.
Pity if they cant get a good manager because it was the best fishing spot overall that I've ever been to .
AnswerID: 608438

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 19:30

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 19:30
The pic attached shows our tracks by boat in 2008.
We did lots of exploring and lots of fishing. You can pic some of the fishing spots by the repeated visits to the same areas.

Best fishing I have ever experienced, all out of Honeymoon.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 878190

Sponsored Links