Article Comment: About the EOTopo Mapset

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 09:27
ThreadID: 134265 Views:2534 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
RE: Update of the 2015.1 version of EOTopo that is coming.
- What month in 2017 is that planned for?
- Is there any plan/timeframe to move from 200K to 144K or have the option to purchase the maps like the Online version uses? I find I use the online version more than I would like these days due to the detail when planning (previously would have used the PC as its faster) but then when on the road the 200K version just isn't as nice to use on the smaller screens with less detail etc.
We use EOTopo with OziExplorer CE and PC and the EOZi skin in the 4WD which has been very good. We do not want to use the smartphone for off road navigation as it displays other information while traveling.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 14:46

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 14:46
HI Sam,
Yes I can confirm that we most definitely still intend to release the 2017 EOTopo raster map set update asap to replace the existing 2015.1 200K mapset and yes if we can get the file sizes acceptable in 144K raster we will.

All I can say is that we are working on it and of course would love to give a date but that is impossible at this stage. There is so much we want/need to do with the update and we are perfectionists so we will only release it when it is ready.

I know you said you don't want to use a mobile device so by this I presume you have considered getting the ExplorOz Traveller app for Android or iOs. One benefit to you is the improved resolution display in these devices vs a notebook, and the EOTopo maps in the Traveller app are exactly the same as the online version of the maps that you say you have a preference for. The advantage is that in the app you have offline access to the maps. Another difference between EOTopo raster mapset and the EOTopo maps in the app is that the maps display ALL PLACES as icons on the map (although you can choose which Place types are displayed via a filter control). In the raster mapset where you can't control the layers, it would be too messy to have all the Places shown as it would get too messy, so the raster mapset only shows position of primary camps/accom POIs plus primary Point of Interest POIs (camera icon). Many of the active layers are reduced to flattern raster layers so you can still see labels for mountains, rivers etc but in the Traveller App these are all interactive and you can click the icon to see photos, description, reviews and setup a navigation plan to drive from your current position to the selected waypoint (Place). And of course, the Place and Trek data in the raster mapset is not able to be updated/refreshed to your offline data storage upon demand as it is now with the Traveller app version.

For now the mapping via the app is superior to the raster mapset and you would benefit for the time being as the 2017 EOTopo release will flow across all platforms but it certainly will be a minimum of a couple of months away from release.

By the way, what "other information" bothers you about using a mobile device for navigation? Mobile devices have many notification control features so you should be able to deactivate anything you don't want to interfere with your active navigation map screen.

Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608384

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 16:09

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 16:09
Thanks Michelle,
Hopefully its released in the first half of 2017 before people head North for the winter! I can wait as long as its coming, the 144K is what I am really wanting in the CE version as that would be a wonderful enhancement on the display in the 4WD as the zoom isn't ideal on the 200K maps (even though I use it regularly and it does the job)

I understand the benefits of the App etc but unfortunately I can't display the app on my screen in the 4WD centre console where the passenger can also see it and interact with it etc. If you like, its what the fixed console display exists for when we travel and it works very well for us.

My smartphone is mounted out of the way near the drivers side window and displays tyre pressures via Bluetooth and engine stats via a dongle so there is not display screen room for another app if that makes sense and switching between apps while driving is not safe etc.

We don't want to add another "display" in the 4WD as they are distracting enough and its nice to have an semi uncluttered dashboard.

In a few years, the centre console may become a small tablet (if we have the same vehicle) but at this stage there is no need for that. Part of the reason i suspect people go for the EOTopo maps is that there is an expectation that they will be regularly updated (and they have been) so as to not to lose out on the original investment. :-)
FollowupID: 878145

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 20:07

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2017 at 20:07
Hi Michelle

As I have said many times, don't rush the update just to get it out and find there are still errors. The new map needs to be accurate and as updated as possible.

Not sure how you can do all the research without accurate input from members all over Australia that would be willing to help out, is there are even many roads around the area where we live that are bitumen, yet still shown as dirt.

A very good example of this is one important main highway that goes between Gregory and Burketown in the Gulf Country which has been fully bitumenized for a very long time, yet is still shown as dirt on the EOTopo.

It is these type of updates that will be critical to have your 2017 update accurate for the roads in the current status rather than using outdated data.

Just my thought to help you have the best map set available.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 878148

Sponsored Links