Kangaroo Island SA info

Submitted: Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 08:39
ThreadID: 134273 Views:2693 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Its 25 + years since I was last on the island & I’m going back in April in my 4x4 Slide on /motor home (Isuzu NPS300 4x4) & would like to know
1) I know the main rd. is bitumen but are the side roads still as corrugated as ever & covered in the granite like marble rocks
2) Is there camping spots over the island that suit motor homes or has it gone like so many areas where the camping is walk in
+ Anything you may think is useful would be appreciated & yes I have booked the ferry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 09:28

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 09:28
We visited recently and elected to camp in the one spot, a private campground called Discovery Lagoon, which is quite close to Kingscote.

We used it as a base to explore the island and whilst the “back-bone” of the road network is bitumen, there are plenty of dirt roads you can travel and access too many of the coastal areas is dirt. We didn’t come across any dirt road that was difficult or, for the most part, that would not be suitable to most vehicles.

We did look at a couple of the camp areas as we moved around, some were better than others, and generally from what we saw, access to vehicle based camping was available (not walk in or bollards). We were glad of our choice of camping venue. But for some, staying in various areas might be more appealing, especially if you are there for a couple of weeks.

As a guide, we covered circa 1,600 kilometres during our week long stay…

Enjoy your trip,

Cheers, Baz – the Landy
AnswerID: 608413

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 10:54

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 10:54
Agree with Baz. We were there last November and the roads were excellent and we were in a hire car. All roads lead to gravel/limestone and had very few corrugations. I reckon KI is one of Australia's best kept secrets. Scenery a lot like Tasmania, 7 or so good wineries, a gin distillery, brewery, a cidery, the seal colonies, koalas etc etc. We had a fantastic time.

From what we saw there would be free camping available in many spots especially around the coast and the forested areas.

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 878164

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:30

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 14:30
Hi Duck

Have a ready of my blogs that I have done on the Island.

The back roads are maintained and the only main corrugated road ( what has been greatly improved to what it was like ) is the end of the Playford Highway that goes to Cape Borda.

The local council have a number of good site where you can camp and the fantastic one at American River even has hot showers.

I always people not to rush the Island and allow at least 2 weeks on the Island, and even then you will miss a lot of the great little out of the way places.

Enjoy on of South Australia's most under rated places to visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608435

Follow Up By: duck - Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 17:25

Friday, Feb 10, 2017 at 17:25
thanks
I wont be able to spend weeks as wife is a teacher & will have to get back to the east, she reckons they need all the help they can get, from the youth I see about nothing is going to help LOL
FollowupID: 878184

Sponsored Links