Recovery queries

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 09:30
ThreadID: 134319 Views:3046 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, has anyone purchased a rear high lift jack shackle for a 100 series? If so, any information would be appreciated!
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:12

Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:12
Hi Freckle,
What IS a high lift jack shackle and why is it particularly for a 100 series?
Ian
AnswerID: 608697

Reply By: Member - Freckle50 - Monday, Feb 20, 2017 at 18:54

Monday, Feb 20, 2017 at 18:54
There is no "attachment" point on rear of our cruiser for high lift jack; wondering what people have purchased so one it can be used.
Ta
AnswerID: 608741

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:32

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:32
Hi Lift jacks are inherently unstable and dangerous, but a great tool if used correctly.

Never use a Hi Lift to change a wheel or get under the car.
Use a Hi Lift to get room to place the a jack in a suitable position I would place the bottle jack on a long handle shovel and lower the vehicle with the Hi Lift onto the bottle jack.
Invest in a Jack Mate, All the 4WD shops should have one brand or another.

Use a Jack mate to lift the bogged vehicle out of the bog. Hook into the wheel spokes, the plastic covered hooks 'should' protect alloys.

The Jack Mate will hold against the tyre and allow the whole vehicle to be lifted not the suspension first, then wheel.

AnswerID: 608757

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:27

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:27
My 100 has 3rd party barwork that I can lift off but I use the jack-mate for anything else.
You could get a lift-mate to work off the towbar hitch.

As pointed out, very dangerous but extremely useful bit of gear. make sure you know how to use it first or it can kill you. In fact it'll do that even if you know what you are doing.
AnswerID: 608759

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 12:19

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 12:19
There are a lot of people who question the viability and suitability of high lift jacks.

On modern station waggon 4wd they are pretty much useless, because there are no suitable lifting points and it's nearly impossible to get clearance from the bodywork.

That is apart from the issues of stability and the inherantly dangerous design.

There are a lot of other options these days.

cheers
AnswerID: 608877

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 14:46

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 14:46
What are the options for changing a flat front on the 100 series IFS Bantam :).
Dave.
FollowupID: 878625

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 18:53

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 18:53
I gather you recon you wont get the factory jack under the vehicle.

you could carry a squat bottle jack., or a heavy duty scissor jack or a small trolly jack ( there are some tiny ones)

you could drive the flat wheel up onto a block or a rock or a high point in the ground.

you couild dig a hole for the factory jack at the factory jacking point.

you could use a second standards approved jack to lift a little from another point on the vehicle such as the very front chassis member or the bullbar

an exhaust jack

nose up to a substantial tree and winch up

all of those should get you enough height to use the factory jack on the factory jacking point.

If you have not got enough clearance to get the factory jack under the vehicle with a flat front tyre .... how is the clearance off road.

cheers
FollowupID: 878630

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:29

Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:29
G'day Bantam.
"I gather you recon you wont get the factory jack under the vehicle"

And there's the problem. The vehicle is standard and it is not possible to change a flat with the OM jack.
If it's a slow leak you can use the air comp to change/plug it but if it's staked I carry a C/Van leveller to drive on to.
Clearance is standard and fine at that. Never seen the reason to spend thousands on lifts etc.
It also gets to go some very out of the way places chasing the yellow stuff. :)
Cheers,Dave.
PS. We are talking IFS.
FollowupID: 878650

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 18:24

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 18:24
Counterpoint to the above, when I rebuilt my 40 I deliberately built and included jack points into both sides of the front bar and rear of the tray frame (see below). I still carry the original bottle jack, however, as long as you are carefull, good flat surface, solid base plating, and ensure you never stick any part of your body under the vehicle, then changing tyres is a very quick operation.

It also pays to buy a high quality jack - cheap ebay ones ARE dangerous as the pins sometimes don't locate properly. (found that out the hard way).

AnswerID: 608888

Sponsored Links