Ozi map for Nth Americas.

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:09
ThreadID: 134359 Views:5153 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
While 90% of the trip (3 months) will be guided and in boats, trains and buses with drivers and pilots who know where they are going - I hope so, I would like to take a map/s for Ozi to run in a laptop on my lap just to store and mark our tours. We will be hiring for a while but the car comes with navigation. The laptop is purely for photo and video storage and may not even take it if we can't get a map. We have spare SD cards for both cameras.

This is more of a side interest and not really necessary.

As this will be our only trip that way, we am not keen on shelling out many dollars for maps.

Any ideas for cheap and/or free maps of the USA for Oziexplorer?

We have purchased a large paper map but it would be nice to be a digital log.

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ROODOO2 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:47

Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:47
Hi Phil
have you looked on the ozi website ? Down LHS is a button "MAPS" then USA , Canada etc. I haven't looked in detail but several options listed.
cheers Mike
AnswerID: 608904

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 13:00

Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 13:00
I've been over that site for a few days. The maps don't seem to be what I am after. Most are state only based. Nothing like the Hema Australian Topo 250 map that I use a lot. And the USA sites don't really mention nor support Ozi.

Thanks Rod

Phil
FollowupID: 878657

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 13:49

Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 13:49
If you know the route you are taking there are several trip planners from USA sites that you can map out where you are going. AAA has one.
Maybe not what you are wanting but one way of doing it We worked out driving distances using one before we prebooked accomodation..

Perhaps there is a reason its called "OZI" explorer.

If your cameras have GPS tagging you can work out where you have been from your photos Had that on a NIKON.

We just kept a daily diary with what we had done and it was useful when sorting photos as we put each day into a separate folder. Think there are about 5000 from last trip and about 50 hours of video with which we did the same .
AnswerID: 608911

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 14:27

Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 14:27
Hi Tom

No planning needed. That's all done by others. We just sit back, get our necks massaged and enjoy it all. Don't even have to cook or make a bed. Or even put a tent up!!! All catered.

We have a paper map/book and a hard cover note book as a written log that will do. This is just a "nice to have" thing.

We were watching a video of a part of it on youtube and thought that it would be nice to know where we were as the train or bus rambles along. That's all.

Phil

The USA W2E section
FollowupID: 878659

Reply By: bellony - Monday, Feb 27, 2017 at 01:28

Monday, Feb 27, 2017 at 01:28
Not exactly what you are asking for but the Hema Explorer app now has North American maps.
I have used the free MotionX GPS app (for ios devices) in Canada and it was very good for what you are doing. You need to download the map sections so they can be used offline.
AnswerID: 608939

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 27, 2017 at 07:55

Monday, Feb 27, 2017 at 07:55
We don't have any smart phone or hema navigator. ie no so called apps for mobile devices.

I can't find the download link for the map.

Any ideas?

Phil
FollowupID: 878699

Follow Up By: bellony - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 00:10

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 00:10
Sorry Phil, both Hema Explorer and MotionX are mobile device apps and the maps need to be downloaded from within the app, so no good for Ozi.
FollowupID: 878790

Sponsored Links