Free Camping spots

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2017 at 19:32
ThreadID: 134385 Views:4715 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Planning a trip up to lawn hill national park. post 5 days up there heading down past Mount Isa towards Boulia on to Birdsville. We thought instead of staying in the main places would be nice finding spots along the way
Anyone have any suggestions. Love camping in nice open areas, quiet and can see the stars. 2 x caravans and 2 x rooftop tents involved

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 06:50

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 06:50
After leaving Lawn Hill you could consider the following…

Lawn Hill, Camooweal, Camooweal Caves, down through Headingly towards Urandangie, follow the border south towards Tobermorey, Boulia, Bedourie, Birdsville.

If you take a look at a map of the area you will easily see this route.

Enjoy…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 609034

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:07

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:07
Not sure if you have it or not but the Wikicamps Smartphone App is great for finding suitable sites whilst travelling around
http://wikicamps.com.au/

And of course the ExplorOz Traveller app in the ExplorOz shop is fantastic too
AnswerID: 609038

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 19:43

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 19:43
Got to agree with Kiwi here the wikicamps app is excellent. It is what the Euro backpackers are using and is constantly updated so is a living document.Lawn hill is awsome and i would definately recommend staying at Lawn Hill NP as opposed to Adels Grove (personal choice). Back to wiki camps you can down load an offline state version and pick your mainly free camps or spots as you wish. Some sites are terrible others are great. Good luck.
AnswerID: 609061

Follow Up By: goldlink - Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 17:31

Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 17:31
Thanks for your help, just wondering why you decided the National Park instead of Adels Grove, have heard so many conflicting comments, uncertain which way to go. So any more info you can pass our way would be greatly appreciated.
FollowupID: 878858

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 21:43

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017 at 21:43
If you're heading south through Riversleigh to the Isa & beyond, there are these free camps:

Junction of Gregory road and Barkly H'way, about 70kms east of Camooweal.

Parking bay on north side of Barkly H'way, just past Yelvertoft turnoff.

WWII memorial site, on south side of Barkly H'way, about 55kms west of the Isa. Very popular site, with toilets & a dump site.

There are a few spots near Spring Creek, about 25kms west of Isa, that might suit some people, back off the highway. Being free sites, even the road train noise is free too. Just have an extra red and you won't hear them.

There's numerous campsites south of the Isa, but with no amenities. Some of the road is double fenced, so you can't get off the road. There's more choices closer to Dajarra.

Peak Ck, around 60kms north of Boulia, has toilets and some fair camps.

South of Boulia there is a big area on the Georgina R. crossing, just past Marion Downs. Another gem is Vaughan Johnson Lookout, on the shire boundary. Great views, toilets, fire places and a wealth of historical info about the district. If there's strong SE winds at the time, I'd suggest you find a warmer, and more settled camp!

Think the campsite in Bedourie is free, or gold coin, and would be great spot to wash the dust off.

King Ck, 22kms south of Bedourie, is good. No amenities, but plenty of bird life and you might catch a yellow belly, if the birds have left any?

The Cuttaburra, south of Glengyle Station, has toilets, but I reckon it might have mozzies too, if the weather's warm.

Birdsville van park is good, if only for the showers. However, some might bawk at the overnight fees.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609071

Follow Up By: goldlink - Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 17:32

Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 17:32
Thanks Bob for that great information, will check out the sites on line, its given up some great options. Thanks again !
FollowupID: 878859

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Mar 03, 2017 at 06:28

Friday, Mar 03, 2017 at 06:28
Another spot, south of Dajarra, at Sulieman Ck would be good. Probably just before you cross the bridge, heading south.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878886

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 19:07

Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 19:07
Gold Link Adels Grove v Lawn Hill is really a personal choice of what you like. In a nutshell Lawn Hill is a NP so is much cheaper but you will have to book.Lawn Hill is basic camping sites with little shade. This didnt worry us as we were out and about walking, swimming and having a look around most of the day. Adels Grove is essentially a camp resort with powered/unpowered sites and different options. It also has a resort with happy hrs, meals etc but you really pay for it!. You can camp at Lawn Hill NP and visit Adels anytime or everyday if you wish. Both nice but Lawn Hill for us due to being self sufficient and like the quietness of camping and enjoying the early morning and sunset walks/sites.
AnswerID: 609100

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 22:30

Thursday, Mar 02, 2017 at 22:30
We choose Adel's Grove (both are unpowered) because we have a big tow vehicle and caravan, and didn't know if we would get into a site in the National Park. All the harder when you have to book on line without seeing the sites first. A bit after the main peak season, we had are whole circle to ourselves at Adel's.

Walking past the NP camping, we wouldn't have fitted in, and it seemed crowded with everyone on top of each other. It is a lovely site, overlooking Duwadarri Waterhole so either choice will be good.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 878880

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 19:47

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 19:47
Hi Will

As you say it comes down to personal choice, but here are a few things at Adels Grove that you will not find at Lawn Hill.

There is nothing more enjoyable at the end of a great day than sitting around a campfire, either for cooking ( as we did ) or just to add to the ambience of the area.

You will find the very helpful staff at Adels Grove so helpful and nothing is a problem for them. On the other hand, try to find a Ranger at Lawn Hill.....best of luck. Of the four days that we visited the National Park, their was only a Ranger on duty at the information centre for 2 hours on one day only, so bad luck if you need to ask them a question.

Unlike the National Park, Lawn Hill has a designated swimming area in the Lawn Hill Creek, complete with a pontoon to lay back and enjoy the beauty of the area. The swimming area in the National park were less inviting compared to this great place.

At Lawn Hill the only safe place for young children in the place where you hire the kayaks, compared to the unreal area under the canopy of the tress at Adels Grove.

These are just some reason why we loved Adels Grove and we can not wait until our next visit.

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878975

Follow Up By: goldlink - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 21:28

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 21:28
Hi Stephen
Thanks so much for the information, wondering the photos you sent, are these the only areas where you can swim, or can you swim where ever. Did you bring firewood in with you, is there lots of walking trials around Adels Grove or the majority of the walking in the National Park. We are heading up end of May/early June - 2 x caravans and 2 x roof top tents. Our caravan is off road 17.5ft being towed by a Hilux, so I am not certain if we would fit in the national park designated areas of max 12metres. Any more info would be great, looking to book in the next couple of weeks. thanks heaps
Leanne
FollowupID: 879007

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 14:18

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 14:18
Hi Leanne

Firstly you will never regret going to Lawn Hill and it is just a magic place.

Seeing that you are going in a group of 4, I doubt that you would get into the National Park and all being together. The booking system is a complete joke to say the least and when we were there, we met one very unhappy camper that did the right thing, booked his site online for the National Park, gets to his site and there was another camper there. Seeing that there were no Rangers on site, they got into a heated argument and the camper refused to leave, basically stating bad luck, he was there first. The guy that booked then came to Adels Grove, had a lot bigger site, but was still fuming about the so called booing system.

We collected small amounts of wood each day for our fire and was not an issue, as there was lots of wood on the way to the National Park. The 4 main walking trails are in the National Park and are well worth the time to do them all, as we did one walk every day. Swimming at the National Park is not as good as Adels Grove, with the exception of Indarri Falls which is great.

You must do the Kayak paddle at the National Park and make sure you go to the second level after the falls. It is just a great place to visit and do not rush your stay there. The best way to drive in would be via Gregory and that way you will have less than 40 kilometres of reasonable dirt roads.

Enjoy your trip and looking forward to hearing of your visit there.

Cheers

Stephen

Here are some more images that will show you what there is to see.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879040

Follow Up By: goldlink - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 18:19

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 18:19
Thanks so much Stephen, we have decided to stay at Adels Grove, have just booked our sites at the Grove. Photos look awesome and cant wait for our holiday, will let you know how we go. Thanks again :)
FollowupID: 879046

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 20:40

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 20:40
Hi Leanne

Not sure if you know or have been told, but there are two seperate places to stay at Adels Grove.

The photo of our camp was taken in the generator section, only for the fact is that we wanted as much possible sun for our solar to keep the campers battery topped up. Very few people used a generator and they have strict hours on when you can use it anyway.

The Grove on the other hand is like camping in a tropical forrest with very little sun.

As long as you know what you are after, you will know what to expect.

You will be 110% satisfied with your stay at Adels and it is only a short slow drive to the National Park ( no more than 15 minutes from memory )

Here are a few images of what it is like camping in the Grove. If you are real lucky, you may even get a site right on the edge of Lawn Hill Creek.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879052

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 21:36

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 21:36
We also chose the generator area, and picked a spot with the least shade for our panels, rather than the shady Grove. It was still partly shaded but enough sun during the day while we were out walking/swimming/kayaking in the Park.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 879053

Sponsored Links