Sunday History Photo / Advice

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 07:32
ThreadID: 134408 Views:6120 Replies:31 FollowUps:37
This Thread has been Archived
Today I must give you the bad news , last week was the final of Sunday History Photo, I began with number one Mar 30, 2008 and number 455 was Feb 26, 2017, The reason I will explain after I say a big thank you to all the followers of SHP over the years, actually it did cross my mind to finish at reaching number 400 but decided to press on, Last Thursday I received an Email from Michelle about SHP dated July 7th 2013 that contained photos from Golden Circle , here is a part of the email from Michelle .....

""Hi Doug,
We’ve been approached again by an educator looking at material you’ve posted and assuming you are the copyright holder. We’ve discussed this before, but in these modern times it is imperative that you don’t post material that you do not have rights to reproduce and pass it off as your own work. In fact, it is clearly written in the ExplorOz Terms of Use in the Communication section that you are bound to adhere to all laws when you post into our site so this is a responsibility that you must take more seriously please – we are obliged by law to remove your posts if you do not and it is quite embarrassing when we are approached by professionals such as this educator who are trying to do the right thing by seeking permission when in fact we are in breach of the copyright laws to allow your post to appear if we suspect you do not have permission to repost such images.""

So under these rules I will find it difficult to research every photo I use to make sure the image is not copyrighted, the one thing I do not want is get EO into copyright problems, I ask you all to understand this so do not start complaining to EO management.
I would now take the time to thank David and Michelle for the original permission to do SHP and make me life member of this fantastic group in ExplorOz , it has been a buzz, another factor in my decision is the commitment with Radio Station FM107.5 here in Orange, NSW , I do 3 programs each week that takes up 9 hours, 4 hours Saturday morning, 2 hours Saturday evening, and 3 hours Tuesday afternoon so it takes a while to sort out what songs I will play , hey sometimes I play a few 4x4 songs so would be good if I could get you listening, this I will let you know in the future, so yes I will still be lurking around EO , so enjoy your Sunday , catch ya later .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 13 Moderator

Reply By: batsy - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 07:54

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 07:54
Doug , I'm saddened & disappointed by this but I fully understand the position of David & Michelle. I would like to personally thank you for the time & effort you have put into SHP as it was always an interesting read & often a good thought provoker.
All the very best & hope to see your comments on other matters continue.

Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

AnswerID: 609148

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:19

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:19
Hi Doug ,sorry to see you have had to end a very informative Sunday read,I enjoyed reading them all ,all the best in the future ,you may have a little more time now to yourself as the articles must have taken up a lot of your time.
Cheers
John
AnswerID: 609149

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:22

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:22
A sad day Doug. Thank you for your effort in bringing something new to us every Sunday for all those years. It obviously take a lot of effort to find new material and research and compile it to make it interesting and easy to read. Its hard to believe that this so called "educator" could be worried about copyright of a few photos when you are merely bringing to a small group of people a small part of our fabulous history. In fact most photos of the age you post are way beyond copyright I would think. Anyway thanks again Doug. regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 609150

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:43

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:43
Its not just "a few photos" but probbaly just about every one ever used, and also, in most cases, ALL the text as well - straight cut and paste from someone elses webpage with no acknowledgement = plagiarism in it purest form.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878942

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:24

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:24
Totaly understandable Doug. But be assured I appreciated each and every post you made. I have been a follower from the start. All the best for the future.

Alan
AnswerID: 609151

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:25

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:25
Hi Doug

Always looked forward to it on a Sunday, but understand the position of all on this.

Now that I am "graduating from work" this week, I look forward to tuning into Orange 107.5FM from time-to-time to listen to your program...

Cheers, Baz
AnswerID: 609152

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:35

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:35
-
G'day Doug,

I'm really sorry to see SHP finish. It was a very informative and entertaining segment of EO but even good things come to an end. However, as one door closes another invariably opens and I hope they are good doors for you. Many thanks and All the Best Mate.

Allan
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609153

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:43

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:43
Thank you for some great insights into some lesser know Australian History. over time Your dedication to EO and the SHP over the years has been unbelievable.

I guess EO's position is fully understandable, it's just the way things are going unfortunately these days.

I ain't a lawyer, but I would have thought your posting of the photos for non profit and educational purposes would be considered 'fair use' though. Maybe that is something for EO and yourself to consider, perhaps with your inclusion of attribution.

Anyway, your posts will be missed.

Bugger.

Thanks
AnswerID: 609154

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:48

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:48
I am no lawyer either but guessing 'fair use' would still require some acknowledgment of the source - this is what Doug is refusing to do - he copies almost everything from other people’s webpages and passes it off as his own work (either purposely or in blissful ignorance) - bloody rude if nothing else.

Cheers
Greg.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878943

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 13:14

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 13:14
And your a Moderator Greg. ?
Dave.
FollowupID: 878950

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 13:31

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 13:31
? aaarghh yes ?

Cheers
Greg

PS: it's "you're" not "your" by the way :)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878952

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 14:53

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 14:53
"he copies almost everything from other people’s webpages and passes it off as his own work (either purposely or in blissful ignorance) - bloody rude if nothing else."

So, he's being doing it for 9 years without a beep from you until the site owners step in. Then you take the opportunity to put the boot in. You were'nt an auditor in a previous life were you Greg ?

The only "bloody rude" part of this is your attitude.

Regards
FollowupID: 878958

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 15:30

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 15:30
Hi Gramps or is it Grumps :)

You are totally incorrect

I have mentioned the fact that the contents of Doug's SHP threads were not totally his own work, but that of others, several times in the past (in his threads) and also to Michelle/David/other Moderators, the first time several years ago.

As far as moderation goes, a general consensus was made at the time by the site owners/moderators to "tolerate" them as they are obviously popular (and some other reasons).

If it was my decision alone, a formal request to do the right thing would have been forwarded to Doug much earlier in the piece (years and years ago). The final decision however always lay with Michelle and David as it is ExplorOz who may face the messy consequences of someone taking offense to having their work copied and put on the forum.

Michelle has now come to the (correct) realisation that Doug really needs to acknowledge the source of the information he publishes.

So - you will have to come up with another reason to rate my attitude as "bloody rude" (while not rating other peoples).

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878960

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 15:54

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 15:54
Greg,

Exactly what purpose was served by your comments? None other than to make yourself feel good or to justify a previous position (as spelt out in your reply above).

There was no need for you to comment at all. Everything was said in Doug's post.

As I said, your attitude is bloody rude.
Regards
FollowupID: 878963

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 16:37

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 16:37
So I have no right of reply?

You said
"So, he's being doing it for 9 years without a beep from you..."

So..I thought I'd point out there actually has been discussion of the matter by me before (i.e. you were wrong) and was also explaining why nothing had been "officially" done about it up till now.

Just providing some factual information - that's all.

My first comments to Bookbook were pointing out that I would have thought even "fair use" still requires some sort of acknowledgement and that in my opinion, plagiarism is “bloody rude”.

Its bad luck if you find my attitude "bloody rude". I am sure you will get over it.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878966

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 17:43

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 17:43
Just had a look at your Profile Greg. Should have done that before my post. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 878968

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 17:47

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 17:47
Still lost me - but we are possibly going off topic/chit chatting so better be careful :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878969

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:56

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:56
Thank you for your effort over the years.

PeterH
AnswerID: 609155

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 14:59

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 14:59
Hear Hear !!!

Have greatly enjoyed SHP over the years and fully understand the reason why they're ending.
FollowupID: 878959

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:03

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:03
A sad but inevitable day, Doug. Many thanks for your efforts over the years, and good luck with the radio programmes.

Regards,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609156

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:13

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:13
Sorry to hear that Dough, your articles will be sorely missed.
I would like to say thanks for the time and effort that you have put in to educate
people to what is Australia and its history.

All the best Bushy.
AnswerID: 609157

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:22

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:22
Thank you for your contributions in the SHP over the years I looked forward to it every Sunday morning, I guess all good things come to a end. Your research and effort in compiling the articles was certainly appreciated by many people on EO. I wish you all the best in what ever the future holds for you.
Regards
Graham
AnswerID: 609158

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:27

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:27
Gday,
Gee Doug, what reason do i have for wakeing up early on Sunday morning now, I have read all (i think) of your SHP 's and enjoyed every moment. You have done a good job and i thank you.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609159

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Thursday, Mar 09, 2017 at 17:08

Thursday, Mar 09, 2017 at 17:08
Gday Muzbry

Your reason for waking early on a Sunday Morning will be the same as any other morning, that is to enjoy the day and enjoy life .
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879153

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:40

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:40
Hi Doug
It has been fantastic reading your history stories. It will be sorry to see them go.
All the best with the radio and whatever you choose to do next.
It is sad to lose this segment but David and Michelle have a excellent site and I would not like to see them having any trouble with copyright problems.
All the best
Charlie
AnswerID: 609160

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:44

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:44
Doug
So sorry it has come to this.
I to looked forward to your posts.
I am a senior Australian and remembered some of the photos from yesteryear and as we all know 'a picture tells a thousand words',
And as for those photos you brought to us, they will be now hidden away for eternity and no one will see them again.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609161

Reply By: 2 4 T - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:46

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:46
Thank you, I will be sorry to see SHP disappear from the forum. A great history lesson for me. Many thanks again. Linda
AnswerID: 609162

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:10

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:10
What a shame Doug. I always read your history blogs which sometimes bought many memories back.

Enjoy your radio stints and all the best. P.S. You can play That Old Flame (Don Henley) for me on air, but I maybe a little to far away to hear it.

AnswerID: 609163

Follow Up By: Member - Woodsy - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:32

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:32
Hi Doug

What a shame, but EO must protect themselves for the future. I am sure that it would have been an unenviable task for Michelle to bring this news to you.

I have read and enjoyed SHP for many years and must admit that you gave me inspiration at times for articles for the Australiana back page of my monthly club newsletter.

SHP will be sorely missed and you must be congratulated on the exemplary work and hard effort that you put into it
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878941

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:59

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:59
Sorry to hear about this Doug, you were a great Australian history teacher.
Thank you.
You put a lot of effort into not only letting us learn more about our country and in some cases, giving us some ideas to go and see some of these places.

Michelle would have felt badly about this but must adhere to the rules .
It will never cease to amaze me how, sadly, such an innocent thing can be turned into trouble these days. It's not as if you were selling it!

Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 878945

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 12:37

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 12:37
9900Eagle
That Old Flame is logged in for just after 10am news next Saturday , I'll post a link and times next Friday arvo..
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878946

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 12:40

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 12:40
Cheers Doug
FollowupID: 878947

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:33

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:33
Hi Doug

What a shame, but EO must protect themselves for the future. I am sure that it would have been an unenviable task for Michelle to bring this news to you.

I have read and enjoyed SHP for many years and must admit that you gave me inspiration at times for articles for the Australiana back page of my monthly club newsletter.

SHP will be sorely missed and you must be congratulated on the exemplary work and hard effort that you put into it
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609164

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:51

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 10:51
Doug
Thanks for all the SHP, 455 history lessions has been a fantastic effort and will be missed. You have given me a greater insight into people and places that I have been to and didn't know about.
SHP will be missed by me and all who read it, all the best for future and your radio show.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609165

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 11:25

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 11:25
Wow.
A lovely little Sunday ritual gone.
Robyn :)
AnswerID: 609166

Reply By: B1B2 - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 16:17

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 16:17
Doug, thanks for a job well done. I would call your efforts a compilation of historical facts and photos, I never expected you to write them or photograph them. I know I personally have added a LOT of waypoints into my gps to visit places you mentioned, (and have visited some already) and I am sure these small towns would appreciate the business.
Maybe the 'educator' can fill the space.
No problems with ExOz stance, but will miss SHP.

Good luck,

Bill
AnswerID: 609176

Reply By: ian.g - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 17:28

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 17:28
Sorry to hear the sad news that there will be no more Sunday History posts, I for one, will miss them.
Regards Ian
AnswerID: 609180

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 18:08

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 18:08
Well what is going to happen to the Friday Funnies? Surely the jokes/stories are not all original jokes by the persons submitting them.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609182

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 18:57

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 18:57
You're absolutely correct there, the jokes thread is pretty much all copy and paste from other sites with no acknowledgment to the original authors.
FollowupID: 878972

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 20:12

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 20:12
Most of the jokes are so old that even if there was any copyright on them (doubt it) it would have expired by now :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878977

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 22:22

Sunday, Mar 05, 2017 at 22:22
-
Most of them are so hackneyed that the original authors would not admit to owning copyright.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 878980

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 11, 2017 at 20:39

Saturday, Mar 11, 2017 at 20:39
"Most of the jokes are so old that even if there was any copyright on them (doubt it) it would have expired by now :)"

Same with most of the photos.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879192

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 06:55

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 06:55
Thanks for your efforts Doug.
I'm not Australian born but your articles have taught me a lot about Aus history.
Way more than my Aussie born friends and workmates know.
AnswerID: 609187

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 10:11

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 10:11
I'll take this time to say a big thanks to all the replies and support about SHP, but don't worry, I'll be around to read your posts and sometimes make a comment.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609190

Reply By: mike39 - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:07

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:07
How sad when a person carries out research of Australian historical significance, posts the collected material in a very much not for profit fashion in a public forum, only to find someone claiming copyright.

My understanding from a modicum of research, is that under Australian law the claimant of copyright has an onus to prove ownership, and that the plagiarism was undertaken with a profit motive.
A little perplexing as to how anyone can "own" history.

A bit of "googleing" indicates that this form of litigation is yet another opportunistic growth industry.
A pox upon them.
mike
AnswerID: 609192

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:16

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:16
I think reading the OP, the 'educator' approached EO and asked for permission to use the material / pics, thinking that EO or the writer (Doug) held the copyright ?
The educator was thus doing the right thing seeking permission.
At least that's how I read the OP by Doug.
FollowupID: 878993

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 13:03

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 13:03
Yes Les - you are correct.

Mike - Copyright does not cover ideas and information themselves (i.e. "history"), only the form or manner in which they are expressed. This means, for example, you are likely to be breaking copyright law by copying word for word someone’s else’s dialogue on history. If you reworded it then no probelm. If you wish to copy someone’s work an acknowledgement of the source is probably all that is required to avoid problems in many cases, but no expert.

A lot of SHP stuff comes straight from Wikipedia which you are actually allowed to copy and distribute – but my understanding is that you must also included acknowledgment of the source (if relevant) and a copy of the copyright notice (or part thereof)…so that others obtain the same info on copyright as on the wiki page from which it came. Doubt you would ever get busted though if you chose to ignore this requirement..

Different story when copying from someone’s else’s webpage – you should really ask permission as a matter of courtesy if nothing else and then acknowledge source if they agree.

I am surprised many people seem to be ignorant of copyright/plagiarism. They teach it to school kids fairly early when they are doing assignments so they don’t just copy word for word something from a book/webpage.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878995

Follow Up By: mike39 - Thursday, Mar 09, 2017 at 09:18

Thursday, Mar 09, 2017 at 09:18
For anyone interested in further reading of this topic (self preservation against infringement) the Australian Government Attorney General Department have a downloadable document "A Short Guide to Copyright"
Good information, with pages 15/16 being quite pertinent.
mike
FollowupID: 879144

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 15:40

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 15:40
Thanks for all your effort over the years Doug, I'll miss the Sunday morning squiz at your posts. Congrats on being good enough to be controversial ;)
AnswerID: 609193

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 20:38

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 20:38
Just think about looking out side the square. Maybe, and that is just a maybe, others could start Sunday History Lessons in Dougs name with their own photos and research.

Have think about it

AnswerID: 609200

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 01:08

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 01:08
Hello

Good idea but use the name of the people who did the actual research not the person who has earnt a reputation of cutting and pasting.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879013

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 05:32

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 05:32
I don't think Doug ever wanted a reputation of any sort, He was just interested in history of Australia and sharing it.
He was very open about where his material came from, and never claimed it as his own. He also never tried to glean profit from his efforts.

Guess we all have to have the sads about something
FollowupID: 879016

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 06, 2017 at 21:57
And this is where we've come to. The vast bulk of us no longer get to learn something or reacquaint ourselves with some interesting part of our national history because the diseminator of such doesn't want to be sued. Shame!
I will greatly miss the Sunday History Photo from Doug, whom I've never met, but feel I know well through the SHP, Dusty (RIP) and his many other posts. Thanks mate.
AnswerID: 609202

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 01:01

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 01:01
Google Wikipedia..cut out the middle man. :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879012

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 07:34

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 07:34
In actual fact, the real art in the SHP was the finding of somewhat obscure yet interesting stories on a weekly basis. There's some talent in that. Really, the only shame as mentioned by Paul B, is that the presentation was somewhat questionable, both legally and ethically. We could be informed or entertained by illegally downloaded movies and documentaries as well, but it doesn't make it right. I'm sure that this flaw in the SHP wasn't by design, more likely by expedience, after all who has the time to do that amount of work from scratch weekly for free? My feelings are the motives were pure.
FollowupID: 879018

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 07:45

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 07:45
X2 on above....was quite obvious to me (and I'm sure many others) that the info and pics were being copied from elsewhere, but I appreciated the effort that went into finding these subjects for us all to read.
Personally I have more of an issue with the carry on of a continual poster in this thread, then I do with what Doug has done.
FollowupID: 879019

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:16

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:16
I think it's called mean spirited Rumpig.
Dave.
FollowupID: 879030

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 01:13

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 01:13
Well, that's a pisser.
FollowupID: 879055

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 08:24

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 08:24
Precisely Rumpig. My question: is this what this tosser is always like or is this a special effort for us? Either way I hope I never meet him on the track. His attitude would seem to disqualify him from the usual bush courtesies I extend, of providing assistance to whomever needs it irrespective of how they got into the circumstances.
FollowupID: 879059

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 14:45

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 14:45
Thanks for your factual responses Greg (The Explorer). I'd rather read those than drivel from the stirrers.
Thanks too to Doug for the entertainment over the years. Doug, Why couldn't you just continue and give credits where they are due? Sounds simple... isn't it?

Paul
FollowupID: 879093

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 16:42

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 16:42
As you can see from the email from Michelle the issue of Copyright and plagiarism has been ongoing.

"We’ve discussed this before, but in these modern times it is imperative that you don’t post material that you do not have rights to reproduce and pass it off as your own work. In fact, it is clearly written in the ExplorOz Terms of Use in the Communication section that you are bound to adhere to all laws when you post into our site so this is a responsibility that you must take more seriously please".

From my knowledge this has been going on for some time as it was brought up on a prior occasion. From memory copyright was explained to Doug and it was suggested that he could get around copyright by the simple act of acknowledging his source of information. From what I can remember Greg, The Explorer, as moderator, explained the situation clearly.

For people to suggest that Doug didn't know he was doing anything wrong is clearly not right.

For reasons unknown, Doug has persisted to do this and has continued to flagrantly ignore the ExplorOz Terms of Use. I don't know why Michelle continued to let him get away with it, but it was clearly interesting and drew a lot of viewers. I myself found them interesting.

Greg may be showing some frustration in his comments but in my opinion with good reason.

I don't think Greg deserves to be abused and I doubt that calling another user a "tosser" is helpful. In fact I would think that it would be against the ExplorOz Terms of Use :-)
FollowupID: 879105

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 20:05

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 20:05
Rowdy,
this quote is what probably inflamed the situation.

Good idea but use the name of the people who did the actual research not the person who has earnt a "reputation of cutting and pasting."
It did for me as you can see by my reply. Doug hasn't bitched and I understand where Exploroz are coming from.

Doug has a real passion for history whether Australian or military. What I don't understand is the reply from The Explorer, as Doug didn't say anything at all, he just said Sunday history is over and the reason. Many said they were sorry and would miss it, but then a certain person chose too carry it on.

I just gave an alternative for others that might want to carry on the history lessons in Dougs name, but no it was already stated no copyright issues. That was carried on by the response from the explorer stating the copyright and putting Doug down about cutting and pasting. Doug being a pensioner probably hasn't got the money for a lot of data, but he still found time and money to do research.

I didn't like the tosser bit ,but that is what you get when you become the headmaster.

FollowupID: 879126

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 20:19

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 20:19
The issue of copyright had been brought up before and Michelle, for her own reasons, chose this particular time to call a halt. I have absolutely no issue with that.

As a consequence, Doug wrote a "farewell to SHP" in his own fashion, recognising that the time had come to cease.

Many people have thanked him for his work over the past years, stating that they looked forward to the post every Sunday and gained much from them.

From my perspective, it think it was unfortunate that the issue of copyright was yet again mentioned when the issue was clearly done and dusted and the focus of the post was on information and, as it turned out, people celebrating the contribution.

IMHO, it was not a time to " rub salt into the wound"

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 879130

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 13:19

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 13:19
Apologies to all those I have offended by some of my comments. I was just stating my opinion on the matter (which is in line with the law) and also trying to provide some information on why the matter being discussed is an issue in this circumstance. Maybe I could have worded things a bit better….though you will note that some of my comments are provided in a light-hearted fashion.

Anyway – life goes on.

Paul B (WA) – two “tossers” don’t make an all round good guy ??. I would help you out anytime.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879346

Reply By: barry F (N - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 18:39

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 18:39
Hello there Doug, that is indeed sad news. I used to be a financial member of explore Oz but stopped frequently visiting the site when we sold our caravan & twin cab ute & came back to a docile Camry. I guess that was a bit selfish of me but nonetheless that's what i did.
Although no longer a member I have always looked forward to your SHP posts, they have always been interesting & informative & there is not much I can say I guess under the circumstances/obstacles that you have been confronted with. So a very hearty thank you for your dedication not only to EO but in particular to your extremely valuable contribution, a contribution that will be missed by many. Best wishes to you
AnswerID: 609272

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 09, 2017 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 09, 2017 at 09:52
What a dumb situation , but thanks for all your efforts over the years Doug.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609282

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Mar 10, 2017 at 06:31

Friday, Mar 10, 2017 at 06:31
Not a big problem to get around this problem.
Write up the text as usual but use links back to the source images rather than embedding them in the document.
A line under each pic crediting the source should do the job.
AnswerID: 609306

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Mar 10, 2017 at 23:17

Friday, Mar 10, 2017 at 23:17
You can't just use pictures without permission from the owner. Putting an acknowledgement of the source is expected after getting that permission. The same applies to any text that may not be yours as well.
Creating content is a big job and a bit of a minefield.
FollowupID: 879179

Sponsored Links