Offroad Navigator

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 19:41
ThreadID: 134472 Views:4816 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I'm deciding whether to buy a Navman My Escape 4 offroad navigator or the latest expensive Hema map off road navigator or just make do with a cheaper option. My next trip is through desert country. I'd appreciate feedback. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 19:50

Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 19:50
Hi Grant

If you go for the HN7, there are some real super dealing going on at the moment. In the OziExplorer mode, it will kill the Navman.

Another great feature is the ability to add your favourite Topo maps for ever greater coverage.

Fair being fair, the Navman is realy suited for city driving and major country towns and not dedicated true remote outback destinations. Where as that is what the Hema is made for, with the added bonus of street navigation when not set to Ozi.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609425

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 20:43

Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 20:43
The Navman MyEscape 4 has Hema 4wd maps.

FollowupID: 879316

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 22:38

Thursday, Mar 16, 2017 at 22:38
And from what I have seen Shaker, they are completly different to what you get in the HN 7 which is a true dedicated off road navigation unit.

Also they do not have the ability to add extra quality didital Topo maps like the HN 7, so again like chalk and cheese, and only a 6 " screen compared to the 7" Hema.

Then when you read the reviews of the Navman, the reviews are on the lined of...a piece of crap, don't waste your money and they go on with not one positive review.

Once again Shaker, do you own a Hema and know of the quality software and dozens of true off road maps that come as standard on the HN7? As it sounds like you do not.

Stick to the Hema for a superior off road mapping system and you will not go wrong.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879319

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 08:25

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 08:25
All I did was point out that the Navman has Hema maps.
Do I know of Hema GPS', yes I do, do I want to own one, no thank you.
I use a GPS for street navigation, but far prefer paper maps for off-road.

FollowupID: 879322

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 14:33

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 14:33
Hi Shaker

The biggest misconception with a number on navigation system including Navman, Garmin and the like, is they use that magic word "Hema"

Unfortunately that is where it ends in a real big way. What these companies do is purchase map data from Hema and then get their own cartography department to make their own map data using the data supplied by Hema, and not their actual maps.

You would think that they should be the same, but unfortunately they are miles appart. Years ago before I went the true Hema way, I used 2 GPS units. My in car street Garmin had the Garmin Topo maps ( they claim to be Hema but we're not) and my Garmin handheld had the Shonky Maps.

Heading in WA from Ayers Rock, the shonky maps were quite good, but not spot on. The Garmin Topo on the other hand had us driving off road for much of the way to Warakurna. In the end I swapped over the shonky maps to the street unit and used that for the rest of the trip, including the Connie Sue and Anne Beadell Highways.

I contacted Garmin on my return and complained how poor their so called Topo, off road map data was, but they could not care less.

Since owning a number of HN units , they are just fantadtic and can in no way be compared to the other so called "Off Road" ability of those other brand units.

OziExplorer has been a leader in moving maps in Australia for a very long time with the ability to add countless maps to suite your own individual requirements. Like I saud above, they are a number of very good deal around at the moment with the HN7 selling for just over $400

Once you start to add extra maps to the HN units, it opens a complete new way of true outback travel.

Give one a go and you will be delighted on just how fantadtic they are.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879326

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 19:36

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 19:36
I have a Garmin GPS and have both the onroad maps and Garmin Topo Maps. The Topo Maps are not "offroad" maps but are the same maps as the onroad maps but with much more detailed topo information. They do not have more tracks over the onroad maps.

I have used the normal onroad maps when offroad and found that they are actually quite good with most tracks showing but of course not good enough to be relied upon because there will always be a crucial track that is not included.

I have a cheap chinese 7" GPS ($110) running Ozi explorer with a combination of Hema and Aust Topo maps that I use as a backup in case I need to go somewhere more remote that might not be covered by the Garmin.

At the end of the day I think people need to go with what they are comfortable with and will keep them safe.

FollowupID: 879337

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:02

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:02
I'm inclined to agree with the previous posters in that you can get a better GPS for outback travel. What price the Navman??
I use a Garmin 2797 (7in) The city navigator maps have improved and usable in the Simpson Desert but I uploaded Shonky Topo Maps for free and whilst there are some small short comings ie. 50metre contour lines instead of 10 metre I'm very happy with those maps. The cost from Ryder Electronics via Ebay was $290 free lighting delivery......Cheers
AnswerID: 609446

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 15:36

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 15:36
We have travelled this wide land, deserts and high country and remote mostly solo, for years with a VMS guiding us.

Only issue was when we had an accident and it got damaged. Wouldn't swap for quids.

Phil
AnswerID: 609454

Reply By: Danna - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 15:47

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 15:47
Hi Grant
We have two major navigators (and two handheld for bushwalk).
Our major navigators are 7” Hema and VMS both off-road.
They have basic features same but they not really same.
VMS have better street navigation and different dedicated
off-road maps to Hema. Vms have also converter and we can
enter our own maps to VMS – OziExplorerCE, as to Hema.
If I would have to choose between two of them I would go
for Hema.
My brother has Navman My Escape, even it is not bad, by his
comments, it can’t compare to features and capability
to those two (Heme & VMS) and he’s buying Hema as well.
I hope that’s going to be helpful for you.
HooRoo Dana
AnswerID: 609455

Reply By: Tony F8 - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 16:20

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 16:20
For the life of me, I don't know why in this day and age anyone would buy a dedicated gps, and for the over inflated prices they are charging, go buy yourself a gps enabled tablet, download a very good mapping app like memory map, buy the map package you need, their not clunky, easy to use, you have access to hema, westprint and oztopo maps plus the versatility of all the other functions of a tablet, and for a lot less money.
AnswerID: 609456

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 19:34

Friday, Mar 17, 2017 at 19:34
I agree Tony F8,

The OP did ask about a cheaper option and I am in the same camp as you in regard to your comments.
I brought a Lenovo tablet for $100 and installed Oz explorer, the EO app and iGo street navigation for a lot less than the major brand GPS units.

Plus you have all the features of a tablet for emails etc.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 879336

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:20

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:20
Same here, Samsung 7" tablet running CoPilot for street nav and Ozi Explorer or ExploreOz Traveller for 4wd. Traveller is good, but Ozi has features I like better and can use additional mapping, such as CFA 1:25,000 which have much more detail.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 879418

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:10

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:10
I have a "dedicated" GPS for walking in the bush - you can get tablets/phones to do the exact same thing function wise but battery life, screen readability, some "real" buttons and a few other things have me not changing for the time being.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 879441

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 22:11

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 22:11
I am a little puzzled as to why this thread has gone the way it has. The OP asked about the latest Hema Navigator which is the HX 1 not the HN7.

I am considering buying an HX1 - an HN7 is of little value to me as it is incompatible with my Mac.

I understand that the HX1 cannot do some of the things the HN series of navigators did, but *if* they work OK one will suit my needs. I already have Hema 4wd on an iPad but have found the iPad to be, lets say, a tad temperamental in hot conditions & I don’t trust it sufficiently to rely on it in hot remote locations. It will still be a backup to an HX 1 if I get one though.

Is there anyone here who is happily using an HX 1 who would like to sing it’s praises, or are they full of glitches as some online reviews suggest?
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 609501

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 07:28

Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 07:28
Suggest you start by listing what you need from the map, select the digital map that will provide it and go from there.
AnswerID: 609509

Sponsored Links