Oodnadatta track

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 09:38
ThreadID: 134481 Views:3806 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Would like to do the Oodnadatta track at the end of April. 2 questions, how much of Lake Eyre do you see from it and 2nd could you expect to see any water in it?
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 09:52

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 09:52
You pretty much can't see anything of Lake Eyre proper from Ood Tk, best thing is have a flight but expensive, but worth it if you have the budget and time.

There is a reasonable viewing area just off Ood Tk on Lake Eyre South << link here to map.

You can drive the PAR (public access road) into Muloorina property, the turn off on the right just on the outskirts of Marree.
This takes you up to Level Post Bay, unless the track is wet or has been water affected, you can drive through there on a day trip, or break it up staying at the property campground.
Not much in the way of views being at water level (or mostly water is waaaay out there anyway), better view at the viewing area in the link above in previous paragraph.

There is SO much to see up the Ood Tk, take a few days and enjoy.
AnswerID: 609479

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Monday, Mar 20, 2017 at 08:32

Monday, Mar 20, 2017 at 08:32
Hi,
If you do take a flight a short one is better.
We did a 3 hour one and by the end we were done for.
There is only so much you can take in a little aircraft.
Our experience any way.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 879387

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 20, 2017 at 13:18

Monday, Mar 20, 2017 at 13:18
Agree !!! TOTALLY !!!
I am terrible in small planes, having had to take a few to remote sopts in Tassie and SA on bushwalking trips.

3 hrs, wow, must have been extensive.
We caught a lift back with Doug Sprigg (Arkaroola) form Cameron Cnr after a walk to there almost a decade ago, that was far enough for me !!
I was so close to decorating his dash, sheets of sweat running down backs of legs, probably white as a sheet too.

Nah, I'll walk if I get a chance rather than fly, of course sometimes no option.
FollowupID: 879391

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 10:17

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 10:17
Hi Quin

From the Oodnadatta Track you will see no water at all, as Lake Eyre South is the final drain when Lake Eyre North is full. This is all that you can see from the Lookout on the Oodnadatta Track....

There is a lot of history to see along the drive, so make sure you do as much homework as possible. We have driven it only 3 times in the past and missed a lot of the important things to see. So to make amends to my past mistakes, we set a task last August to see all possible things to see, and spent just under 2 weeks in the area.

Have a look at my Blog to give you an idea of what there is to see along the way.

My Oodnadatta Track Blog

Enjoy a great drive and stop to smell the roses.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609482

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 13:52

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 13:52
Very true Stephen, been lucky enough a couple of times to have water views . . . I suppose the main viewing lookout area, being elevated, gives the viewee a bit of an idea of the vastness of the area, especially considering Lake Eyre South is probably only 20% or so the size of Lake Eyre proper.
FollowupID: 879348

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 14:03

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 14:03
Hi Les

We have only ever seen it dry. The above photo does not do it justice, as it was a real fine drizzle and the rain blended into the lake.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879349

Reply By: Quin T - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 14:10

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 14:10
Thanks very much for the replies and the excellent blog from Stephen. I am still deciding and would be doing it in a single axel fully off Road caravan towed with a gu patrol tray back.
AnswerID: 609489

Follow Up By: wendys - Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:43

Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:43
We have done the Oodnadatta Track a couple of times with Landrover Defender and single axle Trakmaster caravan.
Well worth doing with your rig, I would suggest.
As long as tracks are dry, you can go camp out by the waterhole at Muloorina - away from the crowds a bit.
Another deviation from track is to go see the Painted Desert - west of Oodnadatta, on Arkaringa Station. Can't camp at the Painted Desert, but can camp at Arkaringa HS.
If you don't want to continue north from Oodnadatta, the road from Arkaringa out to Cadney Park RH is a more attractive drive than to Marla.
FollowupID: 879365

Reply By: eighty matey - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 16:12

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 16:12
Hi Quin T,

check out this website - http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/oodnadatta-track.html/ and search in articles on the ExplorOz website for heaps of information on what to see and do along the Oodnadatta Track.

Steve
AnswerID: 609490

Reply By: DiggZ - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 23:37

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 23:37
And if there is water in Lake Eyre South you can see it from the Oodnadatta track. July 2016 and those are footprints in the mud but was getting very sticky by then.

AnswerID: 609505

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 06:28

Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 06:28
This map shows the lake's status and level,
AnswerID: 609507

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 07:25

Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 07:25
Just keep in mind that a small amount of rain will see sections of the track closed, stopping you from starting or continuing. So take supplies for several days and have a plan B.

Have fun. It's a fascinating part of the country.
AnswerID: 609508

Sponsored Links