Place Comment: Box Canyon

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 15:59
ThreadID: 134491 Views:2971 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We set off today to go to the box canyon east of Ginghi but couldn't find it. Backtracked to the Dripping canyon and the Aboriginal hand painting rocks so it wasn't a wasted trip.
Has anyone ever been to the box canyon and if so how do you get there?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 20, 2017 at 14:59

Monday, Mar 20, 2017 at 14:59
HI Sandy, I've done some research for you. This listing (position and place type: Gorge) was sourced from original government survey data and should be accurate - it was not user generated. I have done some brief (but thorough) research today to see if I could find any sources of info about this particular gorge and based on the name I cannot find anything as yet. I did contact some canyoning businesses in the area and they are reluctant to say much as the canyoning fraternity are quite tight lipped about sites as you can imagine. I've also sent an enquiry through to Wollemi NP as there is nothing on their site about it. I am suspicious that the name could be incorrect but the location should be correct. Did you have an accurate GPS and were you using EOTopo maps to get there? On the ground, the accuracy in the position for a small cave entrance could be out by a 20-100m I guess depending on the accuracy in your GPS and the accuracy of the position data. Have you thought about joining the OzCanyoners facebook group and asking there? https://www.facebook.com/groups/OzCanyons/ I've got it on good authority that's the mob to talk to. If you find out anything can you please update this listing or contact me to confirm what you find? In the meantime I'll wait for Wollemi NP to respond to. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609551

Follow Up By: Sandy F1 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:41

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:41
Thank you for your reply Michelle. I also sent an email to the secretary of the Mudgee Bushwalkers group but hve not got a reply as yet.
I will have a look at the facebook site.
bye
Sandy
FollowupID: 879413

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2017 at 13:14

Monday, Mar 27, 2017 at 13:14
Hi Sandy,
I've received a reply from Wollemi national park with adjusted coordinates for this gorge and have update the Place page for this listing now. It was a few hundred metres west.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609726

Follow Up By: Sandy F1 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 08:01

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 08:01
Once again thank you for your efforts Michelle.
I will be away for a couple of weeks in South Australia but will look into this when I get back. However if it requires a long walk in the national park I doubt that I will be going there.
bye
Sandy
FollowupID: 879618

Sponsored Links