anyone have a DX (base) Patrol(GU)? Are 'hose out' models a bit rough ?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:16
ThreadID: 13450 Views:3949 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
They seem about as spartan as a 70's kingswood taxi, yet really good value. I'm still looking for a 'base' truck, but these are not as well equipped as the prado base. Are base model 'value' generally geared at fleet? Is it generally cheaper to upgrade the base model, or haggle on the next model up (which includes aircon anyway)? Are the Patrols dx manual front hubs more reliable than the remote(vacuum??) lockers in the next model??
Thanx for any info, currently trying to get a ride.
Keith. (the base cruisers for me are a bit too pricey, yet similar resale)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob W. - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:37

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:37
Keith,
I have a GU patrol DX (3.0 seriesIII). Cloth seats, vinyl floor, but is suits me fine, when we go camping with the anklebiters it's just so easy to wipe the interior clean after mud, chocolate, bits of bread and whatever else they can throw on the floor. Has aircon, radio/tape, 5 spd manual. Depends by what you mean as a "bit rough". The ride and handling is fine for me, I'll upgrade the suspension later this year, (mainly due to the steel bullbar and winch). Interior is basic but thats all I need.

Cheers
Rob
AnswerID: 61654

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:38

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:38
Keith, I have a DX GU ute and have optioned it myself to better than ST specs. I wanted the DX for the leaf sprung rear. The wreckers are pretty good for second hand ST gear, consoles etc. Still have the luxury of it being, "Hose out". Hope this helps.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 61655

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:49

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:49
Keith,

If you have a look at a couple of previous posts of Trol (me before I became a member) you'll see I was in the market for a DX 4.2 TDI Patrol.

The DX Patrols don't have the carpet, electric windows, air con etc. I just picked up (actually ordered, you can't get DX patrols anywhere in the world at the moment, they have to make it) for $49,000 including air cond, wide wheel pack, all protectors bullbar, towbar and spots.

Depends on what you want to use the truck for, the DX's have plenty of room for accessories, switches etc. I need it for trips etc and don't want to get a ST all dirty for extra $$$. Plus who wants electric windows etc...well some do, but not me particularly.

If you want a few more tips, email me.

Cheers mate,

Chris.
AnswerID: 61656

Reply By: The Banjo - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 16:20

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 16:20
And the hose out models are the stock in trade of the state Government auctions - lots of 'em moved through there and still with a year to go on factory warranty ! Some can look a bit 'used' but many look as new inside and out. That'd be my pick.
AnswerID: 61701

Reply By: rolande- Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:24

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:24
Keith,
You didn't mention new or used. Most vehicles these days come with air con anyway, either standard or as fitted option, hard to sell one without, so any you look at should have this already. Other than that it is electric windows, carpet, side air bag and rear seats. I got a set of Patrol mats thrown in free along with a rubber mat in the cargo area. Not one of my friends who has ridden in it mentioned about the lack of creature comforts, unlike friends who have base model LC100. Complain they are always falling out of the vehicle when opening the door, (due to vinyl seats).
The DX, as well as saving up-front costs, is a treasure trove of nooks and crannies to fit accessories, switches etc, I have 7 "blanks" to fit switches in dash, a whole area behind the dash to fit CD stacker, UHF either in spare DIN slot or on centre console, blank next to cigarette lighter to fit ARRID plug, etc. Fitted Alpine head unit and 8 speakers in doors, much better sound than factory Almost too many options, spend more time deciding exactly where to fit things rather than how to fit them in, and then there is the cargo area and all that space under the bonnet. I can get excited just thinking about it. DX RULES!
Rolande
AnswerID: 61775

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:51

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:51
Hi Keith,
I have a 98 4.2 GU DX and i Love it.
I have added bits and pieces to suit my requirements over the last 3 years,

i HATE power windows(I am quite capable of winding my own windows down)
I don't see the benefit of carpet in a 4WD, especially in the mud or sand
I haven't seen the need for a turbo yet and i tow a camper trailer.

I have upgraded the suspension to OME 2" lift
being an ex-govt country-based car it came with cargo barrier, power mirrors, air cond, ARB winchbar, driving lights, shu roo....electronic type not the whistle thing

i have added (not in this order) winch, lights, drawers, UHF and AM SSB radios, roh trek2 16x8 wheels and cooper tyres, flares, seat covers front and rear, centre console, Dual battery system and more that i can't think of right now... the point is that i have been able to make the base vehicle into the one i want not what Mr Nissan says i have to have.

hope this is of some help
AnswerID: 61778

Reply By: Keith Scott - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 23:35

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 23:35
Thanx to everyone for the info. Its a great help to get feedback like that. Sorry about my lack of responses/replies but I had to get out of town for a couple of days.
Keith.
AnswerID: 61908

Sponsored Links