Mick O and Equinox

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 21:46
ThreadID: 134531 Views:3816 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know what either of these members has been up to recently? I haven't noticed any articles from them for quite a long while, and I can't imagine that they have suddenly taken up knitting!
They were in a class of their own and had a real knack of transporting us to the remotest parts of Australia with their meticulous reports and photos. I think Equinox should have been born in the 1830's - he would have fitted in beautifully with Forrest, Gosse, Giles etc!
The site doesn't seem quite the same without them!
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 23:16

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 23:16
Hi Roger,

I’m still here and travelling around when I can.
One reason I haven’t written up anything is the sensitive nature of some of the places I have been in the last couple of years or so. It is very hard to write when I am unable to tell the whole story. Many of the interesting remote places are now under the control of various aboriginal groups and as such, if you are allowed to travel within their areas there are normally conditions attached. These could be conditions such as not to reveal any locations of sites that we may come across as well as not to publish any photos. However I am still grateful just to visit.

Just last April I was taken to a site which I requested permission to see. My crew were not allowed to approach the site within a kilometer or so, only I was allowed. What the site was I will not say, and what I saw there and in the vicinity I am not allowed to say. I took photos but was told not to show anyone. So that’s one example where it would be quite difficult to write up a blog or story. If the site was on Unallocated Crown Land I would have no such issues however obviously to me the visit to the site itself is more important than the possibility of writing it up.

There is still so much to see however and l have a few trip ideas running through my head. I was due to head out in three weeks time to travel the Christmas Creek to Godfreys Tank Stock Route (something I could have written about) however two of the crew have unfortunately taken ill just recently so I have deferred. I’ll take a trip instead up to Cape York via the Dig Tree I think and come back via the top end.

Thanks for the thoughts – here’s some pictures from the last twelve months.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609645

Reply By: BarryR1 - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 00:09

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 00:09
Mick is still around. He posted this last year about his 2016 quad trip.

AnswerID: 609646

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 01:49

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 01:49
Mick is defiantly still around, fit, healthy and traveling.
He's also been busy with family stuff which has limited his writings a little.
Never fear, he will return in full force (Mick style) as soon as he's able.

Nice of you to think enough about both Mick and Equinox to ask about them.
Good one mate!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609648

Reply By: Member - Roger K (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2017 at 21:42

Sunday, Mar 26, 2017 at 21:42
Thanks for the replies confirm both Mick O and Equinox are alive and well. The link to Mick's video from 2016 was very much appreciated and, as expected, excellent viewing! I had clearly missed the original post.
Equinox's reply explained his situation - it must be galling to be unable to share the joy of getting to those places but he clearly has earned the trust of the traditional owners for not breaching that trust and full credit to him for doing so. I suspect in the longer term we will all benefit from such strong relationships.
In the meantime I look forward to more of their extra-ordinary contributions when circumstances permit.
AnswerID: 609714

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 17:49

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 17:49
Roger, thanks for you enquiry. Yes both equinox and I are still around. I think Al's response covers a lot of the issues we have these days with out outback explorations. As you've seen from the video clip link, I'm still very much out there although we have been knocked flat on our backsides with the passing of our beloved travel companion Jaydub (John Whithorn). Some people leave a bigger hole than others when they pass and his has left an immense hole in our lives.

At a personal level I've had a few things to deal with over the past 18 months so had taken a step back reducing my digital profile to concentrate on what was important. The loss of Johnny has been a spur to prompt me to rejoin the EO community so hopefully in the coming months I'll be back into the full swing of it. May even get to post a few new blogs and videos.

Cheers and thanks for your enquiry.

Safe and enjoyable travels for 2017.

Mick
AnswerID: 609758

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 17:50

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 17:50
P.S. Sorry about the late response. Vik and I have been ticking some boxes off the bucket list in China. Not much access to anything over there that isn't state controlled! Cheers
FollowupID: 879641

Sponsored Links